Rear Shock Questions: Size mostly

PB Forum :: Downhill
Rear Shock Questions: Size mostly
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 19:59 Quote
Hey guys.

I've been out of the game for about 10 years but recently picked up a used Mongoose Pinn'r Apprentice.
The rear shock is a Fox Vanilla R thats 250x2.5 and its SOFT with my 185lb gut.

I see there are lots of used shocks out there my question is how do I get the right one? Will a 400x3.0 work? Is shock length something I have to look out for?

Any information you can give me will help, I feel a bit overwhelmed looking at all those pretty used shocks.

Cheers

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 20:18 Quote
Is it a coil shock,you can buy a heavier spring,air shock pump in more air ,also if it is an air shock it may need seal replacement etc.visit your local bike shop ,it could save you some headache

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 20:32 Quote
chickendog wrote:
Is it a coil shock,you can buy a heavier spring,air shock pump in more air ,also if it is an air shock it may need seal replacement etc.visit your local bike shop ,it could save you some headache

Its a coil. I'm looking at replacing the spring with a 550x2.75. Im just not sure if spring length and diameter are a factor I need to look into

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 20:57 Quote
I hope you don't spend unnecessary money trying to get this right, When you sit on your bike with full weight you should get 25 or 30 percent sag,use a ruler and measure eye to eye ,it doesn't have to be exact, you can get a fox spring for roughly 30 bucks.The stroke length has to be right ,the poundage can be whatever you need to get desired sag,.Just guessing 500 or 550 pounds.When u get the sag and rebound correct u are good to go.I have been there so I try to help u some

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 21:05 Quote
chickendog wrote:
I hope you don't spend unnecessary money trying to get this right, When you sit on your bike with full weight you should get 25 or 30 percent sag,use a ruler and measure eye to eye ,it doesn't have to be exact, you can get a fox spring for roughly 30 bucks.The stroke length has to be right ,the poundage can be whatever you need to get desired sag,.Just guessing 500 or 550 pounds.When u get the sag and rebound correct u are good to go.I have been there so I try to help u some

Thank you I'm at 50% sag right now. believe it or not i found a spring calculator and it recommended a 550x2.75. its currently a 250x2.5 so i don't think the .25 difference will be a big deal. i just hope the length of the spring doesn't change too drastically. there is room for a longer spring but i don't want to go too far. and I assume inner diameter isn't an issue because a lot of people seem to be selling springs and nobody mentions diameter.

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 21:09 Quote
fox shock ,fox spring no problem

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 21:21 Quote
chickendog wrote:
fox shock ,fox spring no problem

Great news! Thank you so much.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009661
Mobile Version of Website