Elixir 5 Disc Brakes - Back Tire Won't Lock Up

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Elixir 5 Disc Brakes - Back Tire Won't Lock Up
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 17:31 Quote
Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to hydraulic brakes and need a little advice. I am running Elixir 5 Disc brakes on my Norco DH Race that I bought used. Ever since I got it, the back brake won't lock up, it just kind of slows me down a little bit.I also noticed that there is little resistance in the brake lever.

Would this be a clear indication that the brakes need to be bled? I had taken the bike in for service and asked them to have a look at the brakes, but I don't think they ever did anything about it.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, as I am not quite sure if it's just a tuning issue, or needs to be bled.

Cheers!

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 20:37 Quote
If the levers pull to the bar they need a bleed

If the levers firm up but the bike keeps rolling either the pads are contaminated or glazed.

If contaminated get new.pads, but clean the Rotor thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol first.

If pads are glazed you can sand the rotors and pads then try again.

Good luck!

Posted: Aug 13, 2016 at 11:46 Quote
Perfect! thank you for the info. By the sounds of it the line just needs a good bleed. There is a little resistance at the end of the pull, but that's it.

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 12:37 Quote
Elixir 5 was the worst brake Avid made, and that is saying something. I warrantied 40+ sets for customers around 2013, that brake was awful. I had a set myself and had to have bled them 10 times before calling SRAM and getting them replaced.

Posted: Aug 26, 2016 at 17:37 Quote
Well I have noticed the front brakes stop on a dime, and if anything they grab a little to much, but they have a lot more resistance in the lever. For the price of a new brake cable and a bleed, I am thinking it might actually just cost me less to go with a new set though.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009169
Mobile Version of Website