The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:03 Quote
Hey guys I've tried to do a little reading and am just looking for more info. Me and my dad are heading up this summer, but don't know when we will go. Our main priority is riding, but we considered going during Crankworx. We are worried it will be too busy and I don't want to have to wait in a line to ride. Is it like this or will we still be able to ride a lot? This is probably our only chance to go together since my dad won't want to ride those trails at 55 years old(though I'm sure many do). We would probably go late July early August. Do you guys recommend staying at the Village or to find a hotel close by? Any info or advice would be great. Thanks

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:06 Quote
I was there for crankworxs this last year and the lines were short. Had a blast. Crankworx and riding whistler, can't get any better. Try the aava hotel great place to stay. Bike valet and you might run into some big name riders like Tippie.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:13 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
I was there for crankworxs this last year and the lines were short. Had a blast. Crankworx and riding whistler, can't get any better. Try the aava hotel great place to stay. Bike valet and you might run into some big name riders like Tippie.

How many people were there? I would assume it's at least 30k. Were there any lines for the big trails like A-Line, Dirt Merchant , and the Top of the World?

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:18 Quote
They close totw for racing for a few days but no real lines, I rode garbanzo lift by myself, no one in sight it was raining and foggy but epic. As for the number of people it got more crowded for finals. Going that time of year from now on.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:36 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
They close totw for racing for a few days but no real lines, I rode garbanzo lift by myself, no one in sight it was raining and foggy but epic. As for the number of people it got more crowded for finals. Going that time of year from now on.

Did you stay for the whole event? We were thinking of coming a few days early getting a lot of riding in and maybe staying for the first 2 days of the event.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:51 Quote
We missed the last 2 dsys, more family vacation to get on with.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 20:55 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
We missed the last 2 dsys, more family vacation to get on with.

How was the riding(pro events) the first few days?

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 22:19 Quote
I was there last year for 2 months and it was relatively busy compared to the rest of my time there (15-20min wait at the bottom). Worth going for the atmosphere and to watch the pros, hecklers rock is so much better IRL. But for lap per day count i'd wait another week after crankworx and you barely have to wait at the bottom.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 23:01 Quote
dirch wrote:
Anyone ridden Squamish lately? Or know what the snow coverage/trail conditions are?

Havent been down myself but heard that pretty much everything is good to go, minus a bit of snow at the entrance/exit/pedal ups of some of the trails.

Gunna go check it out on monday.

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 5:43 Quote
Hello. I would like to stay in whistler for longer time, about 3-4 months and take up simple part time job for life (like waiter, floor cleaning or washing dishes)
Can someone say me if eployers always require work permit from foreigners ?
I've applied for international exprerience Canada to get work permit but i wasnt lucky to draw my chance.
Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 8:20 Quote
Pretty much all employers require a work permit. The fines are huge for businesses that get caught with illegal workers so most wouldn't risk it. I would rethink coming for that amount of time with out a work permit or make sure that you have enough money saved that you don't need to work.

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 10:49 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
I was there last year for 2 months and it was relatively busy compared to the rest of my time there (15-20min wait at the bottom). Worth going for the atmosphere and to watch the pros, hecklers rock is so much better IRL. But for lap per day count i'd wait another week after crankworx and you barely have to wait at the bottom.

If riding time is what you're after come before Crankworx and aim to leave a week or so before it starts. For the week before and even more so the week after you get a load of trail closures for maintenance, especially if it's super dry like last season. Early fall is really the best time of the season to come but if you're coming in the summer before Crankworx is almost always better than just after. The trail crew do an amazing job but the volume of riders during the festival beats the trails to shit and it does take some time for them to recover.

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 13:13 Quote
gclarida wrote:
dirch wrote:
Anyone ridden Squamish lately? Or know what the snow coverage/trail conditions are?

Havent been down myself but heard that pretty much everything is good to go, minus a bit of snow at the entrance/exit/pedal ups of some of the trails.

Gunna go check it out on monday.

Perfect. Thanks buddy

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 13:25 Quote
Denizenbfe wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:

If riding time is what you're after come before Crankworx and aim to leave a week or so before it starts. For the week before and even more so the week after you get a load of trail closures for maintenance, especially if it's super dry like last season. Early fall is really the best time of the season to come but if you're coming in the summer before Crankworx is almost always better than just after. The trail crew do an amazing job but the volume of riders during the festival beats the trails to shit and it does take some time for them to recover.

Booked to fly from the UK, arriving just at the end of Crankworx.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/012/073/7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 14:17 Quote
antigit wrote:
Denizenbfe wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:

Booked to fly from the UK, arriving just at the end of Crankworx.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/012/073/7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

If you haven't been here before I wouldn't worry about it that much, it is still tonnes of fun. Its like pizza, even when it's bad, it's good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021598
Mobile Version of Website