SILVER STAR thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
SILVER STAR thread
O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 21:29 Quote
Was there from 10-2 today and pretty much kept to ltg and jedi mt and they were loamy & seemed the least slick. So used to trails that are off limits after rain, so I probably could have ventured out a bit more. Leads me to my question: Im pretty confident on all the blues, and have hit Rock star without any problem, so wondering what would be a good next step? I think I hit World Cup a couple years back, which if I remember right has the big wall ride, and some rooty sections that had me walking once or twice. Id rather not move up to a black that is gonna kick my ass as Im a dad with precious soul breadwinning unisured wrists.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2014 at 23:29 Quote
Maybe double dog?

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 21:40 Quote
For trail progression I would say,

Flow
Challenger Green
Challenger Blue
Super Star
Blast Off
Shazzam
Jedi Mind Trick
Rock Star
World Cup (some Technical)
Pipedream
Pro Star / Walk the Line

Technical
Snake Pit
LTG
World Cup
Double Dog
Flow
Dags
Downtown

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 22:59 Quote
Agreed^
Just add Gnar in between Flow and Dags on the tech list.

And I might flip Rockstar with World Cup.
Only because the jumps on Rockstar are bigger than anything on World Cup.
May be a challenge to make tranny on Rockstar if you're trying to progress up.
However everything on Rockstar is pretty much rollable, but why would ya.
Those two are probably a wash.

Also the new section of Easy Street down from the village is on par with Challenger.
It's pretty fun if you pin it.
Just be aware of new riders, it is a green run.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 16:58 Quote
Guys, this is awesome. 2 years ago World Cup (if I remember right) pretty much hit my limit of comfortable ability. Always good to check inwith local riders, cause "Blue" and " Black" are often quite subjective. Ive skied double blacks on some mountains with relative ease, while been terrified on single blacks at other mountains. As for DH stuff, my only real experience is Silver Star a few times. Im an XC dude.

Thanks for the tips. Lets hope the weather holds out for tomorrow.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 17:01 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Agreed^
Just be aware of new riders, it is a green run.

Ive been riding mid week and the Blue runs have been almost empty. Love it!

Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 17:06 Quote
For a lot of the bro-cals and out of town Shop sponsored self proclaimed "semi pro sponsored" shredders... All they ride is Rock-Pro-Walk, rinse, repeat. Bud light limes @ $@loon after. Reason why blues are empty.

Stoked your having fun, XB prefers the blue trails mainly as well.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 20:46 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
For a lot of the bro-cals and out of town Shop sponsored self proclaimed "semi pro sponsored" shredders... All they ride is Rock-Pro-Walk, rinse, repeat. Bud light limes @ $@loon after. Reason why blues are empty.

Score for the noobs.

The Blues are amazing when youre used to Onterrible XC with shit views and a hardtail, but I would still like some technical stuff that scares me a bit to make me feel a bit more alive, hence the black diamond recon.

Thanks again for the tips

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 11:59 Quote
Hi,
Does anyone know what dates Frostbike will be next year? I eager to hit that up.

thanks

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 12:46 Quote
It's usual
jdlsalle wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know what dates Frostbike will be next year? I eager to hit that up.

thanks

The last two years Frost bike was held the the first couple days of march. I think it will be the same for 2015.

Stephen of seracing organizes it. www.seracing.ca

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 13:37 Quote
jdlsalle wrote:
Great. Thanks.

NP hope to see you out there! it's a friggin blast

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2014 at 16:02 Quote
I'll definitely be out there. I'm putting on a similar event on next spring at our hill, so I'm looking to get some ideas.

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 16:08 Quote
Did two days at Silver Star this past Friday and Sunday and had a blast. I'm an intermediate rider and started with all the blues and eventually worked up to Rock Star (rolled some jumps and skipped the big ramps) and Double Dog (did maybe half the stunts). Wanted to try World Cup on Sunday but ran out of time with the lightning holds on the lift.

Had an absolute blast and will definitely be coming back next summer. Much more mellow and laid back vibe than Whistler while having a great variety of nice long runs with barely any lift lines. Trails were in good shape, but I drank the marketing kool-aid a bit too much and was expecting everything to be super buff and there are definitely brake bumps and some blown out berms but it's not as bad as Whistler by any means. Railing berm after berm was one of the highlights, never ridden trails laid out so well before that even an intermediate can get the feeling of popping from one to the next and keeping the speed up.

The only negative (besides the lightning holds) was that the rental shop gave my wife (never ridden an MTB before, 135lbs) an XC rig with a shit fork that was stiffer than my yellow spring Fox 36 Van. She still had a great time on the XC trails and one of our friends swapped her onto her Giant Reign which made a huge difference.

Posted: Aug 25, 2014 at 16:16 Quote
I rode Silverstar earlier last week and was impressed at how smooth the trails were for this time of the year.
last year at this time of year Silverstar seemed to be alot more beat up and blown out. Sun Peaks was a body-destroying bomb range in comparison.

to the trail crew at the Star - well done

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011416
Mobile Version of Website