Bench Press Compared To Body Weight

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Bench Press Compared To Body Weight
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 at 16:55 Quote
Heh, man I'm slightly less than 5'8", playing the rugby equivalent of wideout. I'm a small guy competing in a world dominated by very large men. I've already basically discarded with their pretty lacklustre speed regimen and am doing loads of work with proprioception, speed hurdles, ladders and cone drills, introducing elastic resistance and gradient as well. I'd just be interested to see the product of approaching the weight room like this; as the coach says, often good weightlifters don't make good athletes - heaving a slow 1RM in the gym definitely doesn't translate into doing well in a dynamic situation on the field.

I'd say that some are fairly specific (I'm a member of three gyms, one at home and two at college and definitely some of what is shown I couldn't replicate). But with others, I take your point. Obviously the ball work is pretty simple and you could probably do a decent amount of those exercises using a cable machine.

Posted: Jul 23, 2012 at 18:17 Quote
ask Olympic lifters what they think about training heavy weights and being explosive..those are some of the most powerful AND explosive athletes there are. How about sprinters? They lift heavy in the off season.. Troy's trying something new to see if it reduces his injury but I really don't see a reason to reinvent the wheel yet.

Back on topic,
225 for 17 reps at 215lbs

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 3:19 Quote
Im a body builder who just got into downhill this season and love it, I'm 265lbs, I bench 305 , 365 solid and one or two rep at 405! My bike takes a beating when I ride just upgraded to stiffer springs in rear and front ha

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2012 at 9:57 Quote
tmtrebor wrote:
Oh yeah, Bench pressing is not that impressive. It ranks in the most useless weight lifting exercises... It has very little "real" value, a much better "let me show off" exercise would be deadlifts, cleans, and pullups / rows.
^ This.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2012 at 10:01 Quote
Tjmccread2 wrote:
Im a body builder who just got into downhill this season and love it, I'm 265lbs, I bench 305 , 365 solid and one or two rep at 405! My bike takes a beating when I ride just upgraded to stiffer springs in rear and front ha
Nice! My younger brother is a bodybuilder too, I believe he is 6' 1" - 6' 2" weighing 220lbs and last time I heard he was putting up 405lbs for 1-3rep. Myself, however, I have shit for shoulders due to jiu jitsu, so I can hardly bench at all without hurting my shoulder, so I don't even try for a max, lol! (I have bad knees too, so squats are out as well...dammit!)

Posted: Aug 11, 2012 at 10:02 Quote
get a pull/chin up bar i can chin up 33 times in one go im 5'11" 60kg was funny as i thought that was average but when i went to an army weekend camp after i enlisted all the other hard ass wanna be's could only do max of 8 haha + boxxing helps with all round fitness as at my gym we do circuits on every muscle

Posted: Aug 11, 2012 at 11:27 Quote
Boxing's definitely one of the best sports you can do for fitness. You get cut, or you get the shit beaten out of ya.

Posted: Aug 11, 2012 at 12:21 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Boxing's definitely one of the best sports you can do for fitness. You get cut, or you get the shit beaten out of ya.

^^ pretty much stamford abc's moto ahaha Big Grin

Posted: Aug 25, 2012 at 14:23 Quote
I weigh 170. Bench 3 sets, 12 reps at 185 lbs

Posted: Sep 4, 2012 at 16:37 Quote
Weigh 155 and max 230, rep 190 5x5. I avoid squats and stick to leg press, rep 360 5x5. Nothing huge, but last week I did 1,000 (army pt test quality) pushups in one hour. Pretty proud of that.

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 0:52 Quote
Pro-Uphiller wrote:
Weigh 155 and max 230, rep 190 5x5. I avoid squats and stick to leg press, rep 360 5x5. Nothing huge, but last week I did 1,000 (army pt test quality) pushups in one hour. Pretty proud of that.

Can I ask why?

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 5:29 Quote
I'm the same after I blew out my ACL (now repaired, but never as good as it was).

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 9:00 Quote
Can I ask why?[/Quote]

I guess I just like to isolate muscle groups. Squats hit abs and back and most of your legs but I can isolate muscles using different workouts and get each muscle better. That might be all wrong, but I tell myself that so I don't sound like a pansy for not doing squats.

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 9:21 Quote
So I suppose you don't deadlift, clean, row.... I could go on

There is such a thing as too much isolation.

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 10:12 Quote
Compound moves > isolation moves.

You'll 'get each muscle better' with compounds, infact, squats are the best full body muscle building exercise along with DLs

Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016178
Mobile Version of Website