photo crit thread

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
photo crit thread
Posted: Feb 4, 2014 at 6:51 Quote
catfish-billy wrote:
would appreciate any CC on the picture bellow. Cold winter evening, at about 1700h, last picture from the evening as the rider could no longer see. Used a YN560 Mark III full manual flash
Slovak rider Patrik Vel k took me to a hidden gem no more than 15 minutes from the city center. Shreding dirt in -4 is just f*cking awesome

Real nice image mate, just a few things I picked out were the tri-pod which distracts me a bit and the composition potentially could have been slightly stronger if the rider wasn't directly in front of that pillar, it perhaps could have been used to sort of frame the rider if you were standing further round the jump?

Posted: Feb 12, 2014 at 11:18 Quote
Car park pan

Took this yesterday, any comments would be appreciated.

Posted: Feb 12, 2014 at 18:48 Quote
That's awesome! I wish that post in the foreground wasn't there. I'm not sure if it was avoidable or not in that situation.

Posted: Feb 13, 2014 at 9:51 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
That's awesome! I wish that post in the foreground wasn't there. I'm not sure if it was avoidable or not in that situation.

Yeah I agree mate, spent a while last night trying to get rid of it in photoshop but it just ended up looking messy! It's really been annoying me, it may have been possible to avoid it if I'd had a closer crop and pressed the shutter a tiny bit later but I was standing behind a fence, so if the post hadn't been in that side there would have been another at the other side, there was also another fence at the other side! Still I'm pretty happy with it but would be even more stoked if that post wasn't there...

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 at 8:30 Quote
I'm really liking the colours in that photo and the riders whip but I usually find that when the track veers off to the right, then it's best to show more of that so the rider would be framed in the right of the picture. The tree on the left hand side is a little too distracting as well.

Like this for example:
Neil has had a successful downhill racing career on flat pedals with some top ten results at World Cups and he became well known for his moto style but now he has made the jump to enduro racing and has adopted the clip pedals. Neil gives us a little insight into why he made the change. http mojo.co.uk

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 9:47 Quote
Shot in Novska Croatia on a local trail.

any comments? Qualitiy is crappy 'cause I needed to downsize it. The original resolution of the image was 6030x3517 and I couldn't upload it anywhere. Bummer...

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 13:45 Quote
This was my second time trying a star trails pic, Canon rebel t2i 18-55mm
Star trails.

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 14:14 Quote
first tip is layer instead of one long exposure, have a burst for a few hours, each exposure 30 seconds, then get layering. secondly star trails are boring without a cool foreground. basically find a great landscape scene or something, and lay the star trail behind it.

Posted: Feb 21, 2014 at 15:42 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
first tip is layer instead of one long exposure, have a burst for a few hours, each exposure 30 seconds, then get layering. secondly star trails are boring without a cool foreground. basically find a great landscape scene or something, and lay the star trail behind it.
This was layered, and im hoping to get an intervalometer soon as I had it hooked put to my computer just outside the door so it limited me to that. Thanks for the tips!! Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2014 at 14:00 Quote
photo

Any post production tips for making this photo stronger?

Also any critique and hints concerning composition and what not is also appreciated.

Posted: Feb 25, 2014 at 14:25 Quote
Not enough trail in front of the rider so it's a bit dark sided, also too head on, get high or get low. The crop on the helmet also bugs me

I would warm it up, add some contrast and then play with the curves, basically adding more reds to the mid tones and hilights and some greens and blues to the shadows I think. Mainly more contrast and more warmth

Posted: Mar 3, 2014 at 1:58 Quote
For Marlfox87 I would go for Black and White

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020758
Mobile Version of Website