Specialized SX 4x model, Would It Be Good For Trail Rides and Light Freeride?

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized SX 4x model, Would It Be Good For Trail Rides and Light Freeride?
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 5:29 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.neowin.net/forum/fun/thread_wont_die.jpg

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 at 5:17 Quote
patrikorlainsky wrote:
Manetherin wrote:
patrikorlainsky wrote:

have you ridden any downhillbike???
Mt Washington is a downhill mountain with lift acess in Courtenay, BC. I rode it on my buddies A-line as well but i prefer the SX because you can pick your line alot better. If youre a downhiller I would not suggest this bike as a full-on downhill bike though. Sure you can pick a line better and ride dirt jumps and slope style on it, but you arent going to be making it through big gnarly rock gardens as fast as a Demo, or other downhill oriented machines like the Cove Shocker, Devinci Wilson, Transition TR450, Banshee Legend etc.
what about freeride typ of riding is the bike funn

It is really fun on trails which have built up landings, and flowy berm sections. You can really get away with riding it on anything with the right set up though.

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 22:51 Quote
Manetherin wrote:
I just ordered one I plan on using it for slopestyle, dirt jumping (a bit, I have a dj bike too), as well as trail riding. It will be my go to bike for everything other than hardtail style djs.

I plan on doing this with the following set-up:

2009 Rockshox Argyle 318
FSA Orbit Extreme Pro Ceramic Headset
Truvativ Hussefelt Bar/Stem
Avid Juicy 5 6” Hydraulic Brakes
Sram Drivetrain
With x5 derailer and shifter
Truvativ Howitzer Team BB
Truvativ Hussefelt Cranks/Front Sprocket
Blackspire Chainguide
Straitline Platform Pedals
Thomson Elite Seatpost
DMR Hip Saddle
Fox Racing Shocks RP23 Rear Air Shock
Sun Ringle MTX Rims
WTB Prowler Slopestyle 2.3” Tires
DT Swiss Spokes Champion
ODI Grips Ruffian Lock-On

Before I decided, to buy the SX I was running a front derailer on my hardtail and riding that as a trail bike, so in reality like the last posters have said, you can ride anything, on anything. But it depends on your needs, if you want a light freeride/trail bike, I think the SX can be set up for it. But you should also consider the Enduro, that is what it has been designed for.

would it be a good dj bike if i stiffened up the rear? I know not as god as a dj specific hardtail but, still flip and spin fairly easily

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 6:25 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fd/fd505517_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg
Yes, it would.

Posted: Dec 8, 2011 at 21:10 Quote
done ridin today .was a bit mucky but . overall .. NOT toooooo bad we couldn t hititt
Lovin' my custom Sx/4x with an S-Works Enduro swingarm assy that a wee bit longer and a B.E.T.D. 5.25-6.0" switchable travel,.a 2010 RS Team Rev w/BlackBox Mc.120-150mm. such a fun,dialed and balanced bike. others that have saddled her,.and agreed,..you just feel "in it",.scooped and centered,.like a TRON bike------------------------------------------tup

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2011 at 23:16 Quote
blueeyedbiker68 wrote:
done ridin today .was a bit mucky but . overall .. NOT toooooo bad we couldn t hititt
Lovin' my custom Sx/4x with an S-Works Enduro swingarm assy that a wee bit longer and a B.E.T.D. 5.25-6.0" switchable travel,.a 2010 RS Team Rev w/BlackBox Mc.120-150mm. such a fun,dialed and balanced bike. others that have saddled her,.and agreed,..you just feel "in it",.scooped and centered,.like a TRON bike------------------------------------------tup

Barely a SX anymore. What's the new geometry?

And geeze grave dig

Posted: Dec 8, 2011 at 23:27 Quote
tup
NorCalNomad wrote:
blueeyedbiker68 wrote:
Lovin' my custom Sx/4x with an S-Works Enduro swingarm assy that a wee bit longer and a B.E.T.D. 5.25-6.0" switchable travel shock swing link.a 2010 RS Team Rev w/BlackBox Mc.120-150mm. such a fun,dialed and balanced bike. others that have saddled her,.and agreed,..you just feel "in it",.scooped and centered,.like a TRON bike------------------------------------------tup

Barely a SX anymore. What's the new geometry?
depends I guess,.Ill have to get out a digital angle measurererer thingy and also straightline the ST angle and correcty measure it as well. the fork is 120-150mm adj and the rear,.depending on shock choice. I have a 6.5x1.5 and the original 6.75x1.75. I will probably get some offsets bushings and play with it some more. I try not to run my smaller length/stroke *air* shock on the 6" setting. Ill use it on the lower bb 5.25" setting with the short shock so as not stress it over its leverage ratio. My 6.75x1.75 Vanilla R non ProPedal and a 900# spring is niiice. 1.5-2 turns in on the preload collar is all it takes for 25%sag!

and I was lookin thru some of my older thread subscrip's,.whut? lolZ

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 12:32 Quote
this is what i built up
New 2011 sx
i love it

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 12:33 Quote
I'm loving that one ^.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 12:59 Quote
moppop999 wrote:
this is what i built up
New 2011 sx
i love it

Dude you build horses? Eek That's pretty tricky props tup

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 15:28 Quote
moppop999 wrote:
this is what i built up
New 2011 sx
i love it
I be diggin' it mang!! I cant wait to get on a new(er) one myself ,.I just have to wait for them to depreciate a lil before I can scoop one,..tup

Posted: Dec 12, 2011 at 2:01 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
look into the specialized pitch it looks like a decent all around biek
Dont think they make em anymore buddy

Posted: Jan 25, 2012 at 7:53 Quote
Well since this thread has been resurrected: I'm thinking about gettting a 2012 SX frame to use as a freeride/trail/mini-dh bike. It will probably be used mostly for super-D style trail riding and I know that it isn't the best bike for this but I love the way they look and have always wanted one so I want to make it work. I would like to increase the travel to about 5in. Going off the Spec. website it has a 7.5x1.5" shock giving it 100mm of travel. I see Fox makes an RP23 that is 7.5x2" which according to my maths should give it about 130mm and not affect the geometry. Can anyone confirm this? And in case you are wondering my maths are as follows. 100mm/1.5"=66.6mm of travel for every inch of shock stroke. so then 66.6x2"=133.3mm of travel.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018744
Mobile Version of Website