My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 9:54 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
Whats a good spoke key. I have Sapim race spokes and I guess they are Sapim brass nipples.

I've seen that Sapim have a spoke key, with a yellow handle is that a good one?.

Any others that are known to be good. Although I'm not too sure what size to get thats why I thought to get the Sapim one.

You mean nipple wrench? I like the Wrench Force 4-sided nipple wrenches myself.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 10:02 Quote
seraph wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Whats a good spoke key. I have Sapim race spokes and I guess they are Sapim brass nipples.

I've seen that Sapim have a spoke key, with a yellow handle is that a good one?.

Any others that are known to be good. Although I'm not too sure what size to get thats why I thought to get the Sapim one.

Ooops yeah thats the one..Ok let me take a look, cheers.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
seraph wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:

When did you buy it?, like how many years ago?

As I can't find them for sale any more, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Found the odd pic on Google images but thats it.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 10:59 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:

I like the Sapim ones, the DT swiss one is pretty sweet as well.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 11:35 Quote
RyanWensley wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:

I like the Sapim ones, the DT swiss one is pretty sweet as well.

Yeah think I'll get that one when I can afford it unless I find a better one in the meantime. I think the one I need is with the yellow handle but I'll double check first.

The DT Swiss one does looks nice.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 12:00 Quote
There was also one that my colleague had and never let anyone else use called "The Shamrock" and he swore by that until he lost it.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 16:46 Quote
Unior makes an excellent spoke wrench.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://cdn.bicyclehero.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/n/unior_spoke_wrench_1630-2p_bicycle_tool_1.jpg
You cannot round nipple heads with this one

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 0:00 Quote
Barkit wrote:
Unior makes an excellent spoke wrench.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://cdn.bicyclehero.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/n/unior_spoke_wrench_1630-2p_bicycle_tool_1.jpg
You cannot round nipple heads with this one

Thanks. It looks similar to the Sapim one.

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 0:34 Quote
Anyone know the size for Sapim nipples 3.3 or 3.45...I'm confused as to which nipple wrench size to get.

They are the silver brass nickel plated nipples on my Sapim Race spokes, Hope tech enduro wheels.

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 1:46 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
Anyone know the size for Sapim nipples 3.3 or 3.45...I'm confused as to which nipple wrench size to get.

They are the silver brass nickel plated nipples on my Sapim Race spokes, Hope tech enduro wheels.

I used the 3.3mm spoke wrench from Unior to build my wheelset with Sapim CX Ray so I'd think 3.3 is the way to go for you.

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 2:04 Quote
Barkit wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:

I used the 3.3mm spoke wrench from Unior to build my wheelset with Sapim CX Ray so I'd think 3.3 is the way to go for you.

Great thanks.

Yeah I was looking at the Unior and it says that the Green handle 3.3mm is for Sapim. Yet the Sapim Yellow handle one is a little bigger size, I thought they would have a 3.3mm one as well but I can't find it.

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 2:16 Quote
Tad late, but park, or the buddy spokey is great

Posted: Aug 27, 2015 at 2:29 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
Great thanks.

Yeah I was looking at the Unior and it says that the Green handle 3.3mm is for Sapim. Yet the Sapim Yellow handle one is a little bigger size, I thought they would have a 3.3mm one as well but I can't find it.

This is weird, mine is the blue one pictured above (3.3mm) I bought it from ebay for peanuts, it is very good quality and pleasant to work with.

EDIT: I'do go for the blue one 3.3mm. Honestly given the low price you can't go wrong, I'm pretty sure 3.3mm will fit.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 16:54 Quote
Does a wheel with xd driver need to be dished differently. New to mountain biking this year and I had some custom wheels made by private party. The tire is closer to the frame on brake side and rocks get stuck in nobs and hit frame on that side only.

Added - guess if you can use either driver on same hub it would be dished same, but still would think wheel would be centered between chain stays.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 18:12 Quote
kota12 wrote:
Does a wheel with xd driver need to be dished differently. New to mountain biking this year and I had some custom wheels made by private party. The tire is closer to the frame on brake side and rocks get stuck in nobs and hit frame on that side only.

Added - guess if you can use either driver on same hub it would be dished same, but still would think wheel would be centered between chain stays.

You do not need to dish a wheel with an XD driver any differently.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010634
Mobile Version of Website