The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Aug 16, 2014 at 1:43 Quote
Any experiences from Ass-savers for commuting?
I mainly commute using a fixie, but sometimes also with MTB so I thought the wide version of ass-saver could suit me better.

This is the product I'm talking about: http://ass-savers.com/products/ass-saver-wide

Would also like hear opinios about the original model or extended model.

Posted: Aug 16, 2014 at 2:48 Quote
^ personally I've found that mud guards perform better the closer they are to the wheel as the further from it they are the wider the trajectory of spray from the wheel so I'm pretty sure it will perform like any other mudguard where the lower you mount it the better.

No personal experience with them but always ran muckynutz products before and never had any problems with them.

Posted: Aug 16, 2014 at 6:55 Quote
Yeah, I'll try those out, not very pricey.

Another questions. My drivetrain-side crank pedal insert ''broke'' or came loose. As my drivetrain has already started to show signs of wear I thought that my best option in long run would be to replace the whole drivetrain system.
Any suggestions for groupsets etc? CRC would have a nice deal from SLX groupset http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fi/en/shimano-slx-m675-10-speed-double-groupset/rp-prod115086
That would also include brakes, which would be nice, as I am really not a fan of my current avids elixir 1's. I suppose those slx brakes would be a huge step up compared to avids I run now.
Wiggle.co.uk used to have really nice looking NW groupsets but I couldn't find them anymore... Very confused

Posted: Aug 16, 2014 at 13:42 Quote
Picked up a lightly damaged boardman team fs frame for £50 at work, time to get the budget trail build going. For a fork I was thinking of an old pike 454 or similar, any suggestions?

Posted: Aug 16, 2014 at 17:07 Quote
JPO1512 wrote:

Another questions. My drivetrain-side crank pedal insert ''broke'' or came loose. As my drivetrain has already started to show signs of wear I thought that my best option in long run would be to replace the whole drivetrain system.
Any suggestions for groupsets etc? CRC would have a nice deal from SLX groupset http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fi/en/shimano-slx-m675-10-speed-double-groupset/rp-prod115086
That would also include brakes, which would be nice, as I am really not a fan of my current avids elixir 1's. I suppose those slx brakes would be a huge step up compared to avids I run now.
Wiggle.co.uk used to have really nice looking NW groupsets but I couldn't find them anymore... Very confused

slx is pretty amazing for the price, I would go for it. the brakes will blow your mind.

Posted: Aug 16, 2014 at 23:56 Quote
riish wrote:
JPO1512 wrote:

slx is pretty amazing for the price, I would go for it. the brakes will blow your mind.

Yeap, I haven't heard bad things said about SLX. Seems like every reviewer has liked them, especially for the value. So I think I'll go the SLX way then. Zee parts are almost the same price as the SLX. They could hold up against jumping and freeride better I guess, but I'm a really light rider so SLX should stand up for the riding I can throw at it. Big Grin
SLX is lighter too, which is not a bad thing usually, in case strength or durability are not compromised significantly.

EDIT: I might buy the drivetrain separately from the cranks and then get deore brakes, M615 models, and a NW-chainring. The cost would be pretty close to the SLX groupset. But instead of 2x10 it would have 1x10 with NW. But the brakes then would be deore instead of SLX. Is there big difference performance wise between those two? Or is it mainly adjustments that differ?

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 3:29 Quote
nah not a huge difference. how much price difference between deore and slx?

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 5:26 Quote
riish wrote:
nah not a huge difference. how much price difference between deore and slx?
Deore is ~45 euros and slx ~65 euros.

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 5:45 Quote
I find with my saints I use that reach adjust quite often cause of factors like hand fatigue, gloves/no gloves, etc. So I would pay the little bit extra for it (it comes on the slx but not deore) & a much better caliper design, but either way you'll get the same braking power out of both really.

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 5:50 Quote
The calipers are only slightly different, main thing being the pads are held in with a bolt on slx, and a split pin on deores, which can cause some slight knocking. Personally, ive got deores, but the only reason I didn't get SLXs is I needed brakes there and then and couldn't afford the 40quid extra, though I would have paid the extra if i could.

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 5:56 Quote
Thanks guys for the input! I've got to think about the brakes for a little more time then. I am a student, so don't have lot of money. And getting a whole new drivetrain is going to hurt my wallet big time... But yeah, I guess the shimano brakes whether deores on slx's, are going to be huge improve to elixir 1's.

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 6:07 Quote
If you're on a budget, just get deores. Theyre overall performance is almost identical, just need a small Allen key to adjust lever reach.

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 9:55 Quote
Do Deores not have a little cog on the lever for that?

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 10:03 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
The calipers are only slightly different, main thing being the pads are held in with a bolt on slx, and a split pin on deores, which can cause some slight knocking. Personally, ive got deores, but the only reason I didn't get SLXs is I needed brakes there and then and couldn't afford the 40quid extra, though I would have paid the extra if i could.

Slx's have the split pin too, it's the xt's that have a bolt. I have slx's on my dh bike and have used deore's on an am hire bike and couldn't notice much difference to be honest. Not that great a comparison but close enuough. Lever adjust is handy, especially when the pads start to wear more.

Posted: Aug 17, 2014 at 11:26 Quote
Oh shit yeah, they have the hole threaded though so they can take the bolt from xts.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032710
Mobile Version of Website