Burnaby Biking

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Burnaby Biking
Posted: Jun 17, 2014 at 18:03 Quote
So I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way but I'm really not happy about the new line that they built on Nicole's pole I'm really sick of people building over more difficult technical sections of trails to make them more accessible. There was already an easy way around that section if people wanted to use it there was no need to cut out the drop. Nicole's is a black trail and it should have some difficult sections on it. Plus why the f*ck are they doing work on Nicole's while sections of gear are completely closed off because of the water damage. Sorry just a little bit of rage.

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 at 18:28 Quote
hungryhippo18 wrote:
So I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way but I'm really not happy about the new line that they built on Nicole's pole I'm really sick of people building over more difficult technical sections of trails to make them more accessible. There was already an easy way around that section if people wanted to use it there was no need to cut out the drop. Nicole's is a black trail and it should have some difficult sections on it. Plus why the f*ck are they doing work on Nicole's while sections of gear are completely closed off because of the water damage. Sorry just a little bit of rage.

What, why would someone do that, that was a fun section. Madder

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 0:45 Quote
What did they change?

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 10:04 Quote
Sergio, I don't think this is the correct way to link items.

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 10:04 Quote
Not hard to be informed. GJ is separate from Nicole's and trail repairs to GJ are under the control of the City and their discussions with the contractor. It would be nice if that was moving along faster.....

Nicole's repairs were done by BMBA with support of the City... better to have repairs than closures. This is the reason from BMBA:

[quote] Hi Everyone,
So if anyone's been down Nicole's after today, you will probably notice some new work on the Nicole's Pole section. This trailwork is a collaboration between the City of Burnaby and the BMBA.

The CoB came to us and advised that they would be shutting down the Pole as sections of it were rotting and in need of repair, and were no longer safe. Anyone that rides the Pole will probably have noticed that the entrance and exit sections have been slowly deterioriating and eroding away, and that the middle has started to sag in spots.

We were not in favour of the Pole being "closed" as it is an iconic feature of the Nicole's trail, so we came to an agreement with the CoB as to how best to repair it. We drew up a proposal, which the CoB accepted. On last Friday evening we carried cedar rungs up to the Pole (helped out by a couple of riders who stopped to help - thank you very much!). Today a small work crew consisting of our group and the CoB carried up the remainder of our materials and undertook our proposed repairs.

We realize that the work done will not please everyone. However we have tried to keep the spirit of the Pole intact, while still keeping it rideable for years to come. The original Pole is still underneath the new work and will, in time, disintegrate. Please note that this is still a "black" feature and that the easier ride around is still available on the left hand side of the Pole.

Our project is not yet complete, and it will be finished off in the next week or so. The second half of the Pole itself is still rideable and will be left that way once we have completed our work.

We want to give a big thank you to the following:
- CoB for providing the materials and for helping us with the work
- Alfred Horie Construction for providing lunch
- Dustin, Tyler, Klaus, Nic and Zac for helping carry rungs on Friday

Any questions or concerns feel free to contact us through this page or by emailing BMBAInfo@gmail.com. [/quote]

Perhaps contact them to offer your thoughts and assistance. No, I am not a BMBA rep.... I'm just subscribed to their FB page.

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 11:30 Quote
sfudownhillbiker999 wrote:
awful just awful https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/11083596/

I cant believe they did away with the drops.i agree with that the log feature was getting a bit old,but keep the drops.

Brian

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 14:06 Quote
Hi everyone,

We understand that not everyone is happy about the changes made to Nicole's Pole. Unfortunately we were given two choices by the City of Burnaby - they would remove and close the pole (including the straight chute beside the Pole), or we could request their approval to make repairs. We chose to make repairs, which included installing a ladder over the former "drop" section halfway down the Pole. Part of the rationale behind this decision was to force riders to reduce their speed in this section because, as you may or may not be aware, ALL trails on Burnaby Mountain are considered "multi-use" and are used by hikers and dogwalkers as well as bikers. Bikers are required to yield to foot traffic.

There is also a huge hole at the bottom (riders left) of the Pole which has been caused by riders skidding to brake around the Pole. This will be fixed.

Unfortunately we have strict guidelines on the type of trail modifications that we can make, based on instructions from the land manager (City of Burnaby). We hope that you will understand and support the work that we do.

This area is still a work in progress, as stated on our facebook page.

-BMBA

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 21:19 Quote
Hi BMBA,
Although I thank you for keeping the pole alive and I understand that it's difficult to work on the trails with COB on your back. However I don't understand is why you guys built a ladder bridge over a drop as a "speed control." The old drop was a speed contol itself. If you went too fast into the drop you may overshoot the landing and possibly fall. Now with the ladder bridge, riders will just fly down it and into the corner causing more skid erosion. I'm sorry I really don't understand the rationale behind this.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 22:10 Quote
sushifor2 wrote:
Hi BMBA,
Although I thank you for keeping the pole alive and I understand that it's difficult to work on the trails with COB on your back. However I don't understand is why you guys built a ladder bridge over a drop as a "speed control." The old drop was a speed contol itself. If you went too fast into the drop you may overshoot the landing and possibly fall. Now with the ladder bridge, riders will just fly down it and into the corner causing more skid erosion. I'm sorry I really don't understand the rationale behind this.

Actually the faster you went, the smoother it was....

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 22:41 Quote
Actually you can huck the drop and go pretty fast down it. So while it sucks that it's gone, I can see why they did that.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 23:13 Quote
I have to agree with this, after first riding this today, I felt the loss of the drop was not all in all horrible, but I carry a lot more speed though the line and felt like a berm was needed. I was putting on full brake to stop and make the corner. Plus if the bridges get wet despite the slit cedar I still think it will cause ruts in the area due to lack of braking on the wood. Although I do appreciate that work is being done for the better of the trail
sushifor2 wrote:
Hi BMBA,

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 23:42 Quote
Ya a berm should be put into the corner so there's reduced skidding. Yes it makes you go faster but if I'd rather have people brake after the corner than inside the corner

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 10:36 Quote
heading up to ride tomorrow,ill be around Gear/ Nichols.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030176
Mobile Version of Website