Could a big hit (06-08 models) win races?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Could a big hit (06-08 models) win races?
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 21:38 Quote
do you reckon big hit with the older frames with upgraded components (new tyres, suspension, drivetrain etc) win elite races, maybe even races at world cup standards? or are they too sluggish?

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 21:47 Quote
dought it maybe if u were sam hill or someone but the angles are all off from a downhill bike. downhill bikes have more stand over a more relaxed head angle and have lower bb's where as the big hit has less stand over a steeper head angle and a higher bb.i would use that bike for wat its good for Big hits kinda funny thats the name of it to.

Posted: Jun 6, 2010 at 22:20 Quote
Winning races isn't based on the bike but the rider, but still doing these tune up's will not change what the big hit is made for, you would be. Better to replace it with a more race specific bike.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 10:54 Quote
You can put a shorter i2i (8.5") shock in the rear, it slackens out the head angle and lowers the bb to roughly 13.25" giving the bike much more race like geometry. Unfortunatley it will also decrease your travel to a little over 7.5 inches(not too bad). That being said I think its a good starter dh bike.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 14:17 Quote
sroemmich wrote:
You can put a shorter i2i (8.5") shock in the rear, it slackens out the head angle and lowers the bb to roughly 13.25" giving the bike much more race like geometry. Unfortunatley it will also decrease your travel to a little over 7.5 inches(not too bad). That being said I think its a good starter dh bike.

ya the bike with a decent rider can win races but not at a world cup or any where near that level.i ride a kona stinky and have won expert and wen they still had it semi-pro races but if i went to a world cup on it i would get my ass kicked cuz at the speed they ride the suspension would sack up and if it hit a flat up rock wrong the head angle wouldnt be relaxed enuf to take it.it wouldnt matter wat u did to the bike it wouldnt be a legit race bike thats why they have the demo 8s those are race bikes.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:14 Quote
ok so if ur good at riding and the race is like sea otter or somthing with no tech wat so ever then yes. but i dought it could win a world cup race

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:16 Quote
freighttrain123 wrote:
ok so if ur good at riding and the race is like sea otter or somthing with no tech wat so ever then yes. but i dought it could win a world cup race

exactly but somwhere like fort william no

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:19 Quote
threds like this dissapoint me, there is nothign to really explain.

buy the bike, and race it, its personal preferance and motivation that wins races, not bikes.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:24 Quote
so ur sayin if someone was at a world cup event and they were on a full suspension next or a bmx bike they would have a equal chance at wining

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:27 Quote
I think he is saying it's the rider that wins race's, not the bike.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:27 Quote
su11y wrote:
freighttrain123 wrote:

exactly but somwhere like fort william no
fort bill, msc, even like canadian open at whistler. it is a freeride bike.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:30 Quote
sroemmich wrote:
I think he is saying it's the rider that wins race's, not the bike.

if the rider dosnt have the right equipment for the job hes not going to do as well as he could thats wat im saying.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:35 Quote
sroemmich wrote:
Agreed,

sorry it just ticks me off wen someone says its not the bike its the rider wen without the bike there would be no riders

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 at 16:40 Quote
su11y wrote:
sroemmich wrote:
Agreed,

sorry it just ticks me off wen someone says its not the bike its the rider wen without the bike there would be no riders

dude, if a guy goes to a race with a 2000 dollar used big hit, and a 7000 dollar custom Banshee MKII, the parts arnt going to make a difference on who wins. The guy with the 7000 dollar rider could be some spoiled brat.. where the guy with the big hit is just ripping for fun and progressing.

so, its the rider, not the ride.

BTW smart ass comment with the BMX thing, who the hell would run a BMX in a race, use your brain fool

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010895
Mobile Version of Website