Powered by Outside

Getting over the fear

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Getting over the fear
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 8:42 Quote
My buddy went to the park with me the other day and thought it would be easy to get up and launch but once he got up on the ramp and looked down, he froze up even though the next jump wasn't so big. I tried to encourage him but was more or less like "Just do it man, it's not that bad, don't freak out." He was scared of losing control and getting hurt and/or screwing up and grabbing his brakes and messing up that way.

Any advice I can relay to him about growing a pair and hitting it?

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 10:31 Quote
Call him a pussy and get new friends.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 10:35 Quote
Jaxr0 wrote:
Call him a pussy and get new friends.

U must have no friends if u do that. Wearing a helmet is a good idea.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 11:09 Quote
[Quote="Jaxr0"]Call him a pussy and get new friends.[/Quote]

So, that would probably end up getting him no friends at all.

Wear a helmet.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 12:46 Quote
You cant be scared when dealing with extremesports ..

tell him to go big or go home Razz

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 14:16 Quote
Tell him to think of something that get's him energetic. Not something that inspires him, something that makes him want to jump around. Also try and get him to start smaller, or depending on the type of ramp having just ride over it and keep getting a bit more air each time, coming closer and closer to clearing the jump.

For me Powerman 5000's song called "Super Villian" and Dead Guy's cover of "Horror Business" both make me pretty much willing to try a lot of stupid things.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 14:22 Quote
dont be a f*cking pussy go big or go home!

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 15:18 Quote
do what i do to my mate i always think of the person that he loves or his family and exspecialy his bike i say "youd better do this other wise i will (for instance) stamp on your spokes and he has a really nice bike to be honest he was trying a 360 of a two set in the end after about 3-4 mins all i saw was him spin of this 2 set and land a 360 he was dead chuffed after as well so there was a bit of info mate cya hope that wa any help?????

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 15:26 Quote
dazwolf wrote:
do what i do to my mate i always think of the person that he loves or his family and exspecialy his bike i say "youd better do this other wise i will (for instance) stamp on your spokes and he has a really nice bike to be honest he was trying a 360 of a two set in the end after about 3-4 mins all i saw was him spin of this 2 set and land a 360 he was dead chuffed after as well so there was a bit of info mate cya hope that wa any help?????
THIS

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 18:07 Quote
Make him wear a helmet and strap a pillow to he's but so he can't get hurt Big Grin

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 18:43 Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm just going to throw his puppy into my bag before we go and at the park I'll just put a knife to the dog's throat when he's up on the ramp waiting to launch.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 19:35 Quote
Steelheads wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm just going to throw his puppy into my bag before we go and at the park I'll just put a knife to the dog's throat when he's up on the ramp waiting to launch.

easy there, simmer down.

just tell him who cares if you fall, you fall, you fall. its bmx deal with it.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 19:54 Quote
niagarast wrote:
Steelheads wrote:

easy there, simmer down.

Nah, for reals bro I was just playin'. I think he just needs to do it that first time and then he'll realize it's no big thing...like losing your virginity.

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 at 19:58 Quote
Steelheads wrote:
niagarast wrote:
Steelheads wrote:

easy there, simmer down.

Nah, for reals bro I was just playin'. I think he just needs to do it that first time and then he'll realize it's no big thing...like losing your virginity.

Was there fear involved when you lost your virginity?
Just tell him that if he does fall, it won't hurt as much as he thinks.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012243
Mobile Version of Website