Powered by Outside

my new Lapierre Zesty 514

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
my new Lapierre Zesty 514
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 2:51 Quote
well I have now completed 2 decent blasts out on the Zesty, and so far she has not disappointed. Rides awesome, climbs like a hardtail, and hits the downs with speed and precision.

Mint..

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 2:52 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/kempy1978/new%20bike/IMG_0300.jpg

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 2:52 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/kempy1978/new%20bike/IMG_0302.jpg

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 11:22 Quote
QL band

Word of advice, sell those wheels while they are still worth something and get something custom with some quality hubs (Hadley, CK, I9 etc. also Thru-axle wont hurt to this bike), ex819 rims or something if you can afford it (X5 is yours ;> ?)
If not, dont forget to check your rear hub for play in a few months, and check if the wheels are still true.
Get some spare parts, spokes, an extra ust valve if you are gonna keep them, you can loose your mind waiting for spare Shimano parts sometimes.

If i were you i would take all the pivots apart, re-grease properly, and tight things up again properly with a torque key (10-20-20-20Nm)before i even ride it. If you gonna wash it a lot,well you probably dont have to bother in UK lol :>, check the bearings in a few months and put some quality grease in it.

Get rid of those white grips while they are brand new, they will turn disgusting yellowish "garbage"-like in a few rides.

Also, the down tube is very thin, some extra protection between BB and the cable holder wont hurt believe me.

Almost forgot ... look at the front derailleur... you see where the cable goes trough the chainstay and comes out on top? Its a dirt magnet so get at least some jagwire "sealed" end caps if you wanna keep your changing smooth in time...

Yeah i know, what a lamer Big Grin , i just bought a new bike, so happy about it and the guy is already telling me whats "wrong" with it Big Grin ... well nothing is really wrong with it, great bike, but the info will help you in the long run...

ENJOY !

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 13:13 Quote
OMFG ONE FINE LOOKING MACHINE MAN GREAT BIKE

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 8:09 Quote
R4ND0M wrote:
QL band

Word of advice, sell those wheels while they are still worth something and get something custom with some quality hubs (Hadley, CK, I9 etc. also Thru-axle wont hurt to this bike), ex819 rims or something if you can afford it (X5 is yours ;> ?)
If not, dont forget to check your rear hub for play in a few months, and check if the wheels are still true.
Get some spare parts, spokes, an extra ust valve if you are gonna keep them, you can loose your mind waiting for spare Shimano parts sometimes.

If i were you i would take all the pivots apart, re-grease properly, and tight things up again properly with a torque key (10-20-20-20Nm)before i even ride it. If you gonna wash it a lot,well you probably dont have to bother in UK lol :>, check the bearings in a few months and put some quality grease in it.

Get rid of those white grips while they are brand new, they will turn disgusting yellowish "garbage"-like in a few rides.

Also, the down tube is very thin, some extra protection between BB and the cable holder wont hurt believe me.

Almost forgot ... look at the front derailleur... you see where the cable goes trough the chainstay and comes out on top? Its a dirt magnet so get at least some jagwire "sealed" end caps if you wanna keep your changing smooth in time...

Yeah i know, what a lamer Big Grin , i just bought a new bike, so happy about it and the guy is already telling me whats "wrong" with it Big Grin ... well nothing is really wrong with it, great bike, but the info will help you in the long run...

ENJOY !

well, a load of food for thought there, although i have heard nothing but good things about the XT tubless? I am pretty good with the bike spanner and will be keeping her running sweet - and am more likely to change things as they break, rather than swap out from new, as everything on the bike is decent - though i take your point about white grips! They are already a bit grubby..

Thanks for the headsup on the rear hub for play - but like i said, i have been riding and looking after my bikes for 20 years, so have a pretty good idea what to look out for.

Happy riding, and thanks for the comment

Posted: Jul 3, 2010 at 2:16 Quote
has it broke yet?

have a look at my pics.

Posted: Jul 3, 2010 at 4:39 Quote
you are so shit out of luck m8 :>
Saw a few cases when a zesty broke when ppl used it as a park biek, but even that after some time and never in 3 places only in 1 Big Grin

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 14:27 Quote
Seen so many of these bikes al broke in the same place, shame cause its a real nice bike.

Is this a problem throughout the hole range or only with the zesty?

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 14:41 Quote
R4ND0M wrote:
you are so shit out of luck m8 :>
Saw a few cases when a zesty broke when ppl used it as a park biek, but even that after some time and never in 3 places only in 1 Big Grin
it's a heavy duty XC bike...you're expecting trouble riding it hard in a bike park

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 2:14 Quote
agree with Burkemtnrider - its not a park bike!!!... Also, damage to bikes is normally down to 1 of 3 things

1) - set up not right for terrain being ridden, causing additional strain to components
2) - crash
3) - manufacturing defect (happens overall to around 6% of stock produced globally in the MTB scene)

Also,it is worth noting, that Lapierre had 3% warrenty claims in 2007, 6% in 2008, 2% in 2009 and have had less than 2% returns in the production run of the 2010 Zesty. The model with the most issues was the early 2008/2009 714 and 914 - the carbon frames were not up to scratch, however the 2010 model has dramatically been improved.

It is unfortunately forums spreading rumors that causes bad names to be created, like Commencal Meta, there was a production run of around 400 bikes worldwide, made from a defective alloy template for the rear swing arm - these were called back and replaced, however in the interim, some did break (all of which were replaced) - the manufacturing mistake was noted and resolved, and they make some of the best bikes on the market - yet people think - ooh, he rides a meta, it will probably break - because they read it on a forum.

I do AM and XC, mainly marathon style events, a lot of trips to trial centers across the UK, and twice weekly training rides. This bike is awesome in every way, and beats the hell out of my Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert, Scott Genius 40 and others I have owned in the past.

Love it love it love it..

(lets just hope I dont break her... lol)

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 2:22 Quote
richg1979 wrote:
has it broke yet?

have a look at my pics.

Rich - just looked at your pics, seems you managed to do crank, swing arm and frame>??

I find that incredible - but it depends on what you were doing on the bike, set up, your weight etc?

I note your comment you placed on another post about you being over 14 stone - was the suspension all set up correctly for your size etc? (please dont take that as a dig about weight in any way - you could be an 18 stone muscle man etc.. - its just that the most bike problems we see is with heavy riders with little air in the suspension).

I am glad they resolved your issue with a refund, and looks like you got a Yeti (nice alternative, also was on my short list) - but it does seem like your bike has broken in 3 places, not 1 - and all after a few hours riding?

you comment - crank after 3 hours riding
rear swing arm - after 6 hours riding
frame - after 12 hours riding?

I am puzzled.

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 at 8:08 Quote
15 stone, all set up correct 25-30% sag, no more than red grade trail centers defo no jumps or drops.

i think ur figures are way out.

the shop where it was purchased from almost stoped selling lapirre bikes as there was a lot of warranty claims with 2010 zestys and lapierre customer service sucks.

full refund after 2 front triangles and 3 rear ends.

no probs with new bike.

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 3:32 Quote
This makes some unpleasant reading Confused

No problems with mine so far. Touching much wood!!!

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 at 13:56 Quote
I am 98kg and ride my Zesty as hard as I can. 2 years old and no damage. Replaced my bottom bracket once and now looking to do the frame bearings. Solid bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011023
Mobile Version of Website