Powered by Outside

Frame Creak (Again)

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 3:40 Quote
Hey Everyone. I'm hearing major frame creak again. Have a 09 KHS XC Team frame medium sized and have done the following.

Greased the seatpost, seatpost clamp, seat, BB cups where they contact the frame.
Cleaned out the suspension pivots
greased the crank (RF DEUS XC)
Plenty of grease on drivetrain comps.

It creaks like crazy when pedaling under force. Any other ideas? It sounds like it's coming from the BB area. Could it just be that the RF DEUS cranks are crap? They are the 09 model year.

Thanks,
S

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 7:48 Quote
Are your bottom bracket cups tight. also make sure it is in the BB, listen if it happens every rotation in the same spot. If it is the BB then it will happen in that spot no matter what gear.
But you could also check your shock and linkages. i have no personal experiance with the Deus cranks so i can't comment on that front.

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 8:00 Quote
have you tightened the headset ??
tightened the wheels in the drop outs ??
checked the crank arm has not deformed were it meets with the spline ??

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 8:02 Quote
tony-balony wrote:
Are your bottom bracket cups tight. also make sure it is in the BB, listen if it happens every rotation in the same spot. If it is the BB then it will happen in that spot no matter what gear.
But you could also check your shock and linkages. i have no personal experiance with the Deus cranks so i can't comment on that front.

I tightened the BB cups enough. Brand new RF DEUS XC Team BB. Using the default plastic spacer on drive side. Even tried tightening the chain rings.

You mentioned shock, what aspect of the shock would creak? It seems I have a slow leak on the Monarch 4.2. Could be the stupid rotating valve thingy. Seems to be a weak spot on the Monarch. Greased all the pivots and bushings where the shock mounts. It's only under hard cranking load and does not creak if I just bounce the bike. I'm really suspecting the Crank arm drive side. I've tightened the drive side crank arm bolt until it doesn't turn so it's tight, however there's a chance that the spindles on the axle are worn a bit creating the movement?

Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 8:05 Quote
if the crank arm is worn at the axle interface you just need to replecae it, theres no alternative
to check its worn out stop the bike and put the back brake on now pull and push the crank arm up and down and if you feel any play replace the arm

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 8:08 Quote
vengeance111 wrote:
if the crank arm is worn at the axle interface you just need to replecae it, theres no alternative
to check its worn out stop the bike and put the back brake on now pull and push the crank arm up and down and if you feel any play replace the arm
Your best geuss is to take it to your local bike shop, because unless you have video of exactly whats going on, then theres no real way to determine what the problem is. 2 cents

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 10:19 Quote
had that problem with my bike... check ur pedals. mine creak like crazy cuz they have shitty bearings

FL
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 10:27 Quote
it could be pedals or bb bearings try replacing them

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 10:49 Quote
could be a tight chain, or a knackered bb. Add a few links, then try it, if no avail, then replace the bb, or just get your LBS to look over it.

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 11:16 Quote
Dudes! The BB is brand new.

I'll try to take the pedals off and put some loc-tite on them. Although these are the DMR V12 Mag's with sealed bearings so doubt it's the shaft of the pedals. But could be the crush washer part. Thanks for the idea.

I ride mostly trails (ST, DT) 4 times per week average 2 hours each time. If that makes any difference.

S

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 18:03 Quote
I decided to take the pedal shaft out and check out the inner bushing. Stripped the bolt on the Right pedal cause I thought it loosens counterclockwise like all other normal bolts. Turns out it's clockwise on that side. GREAT! I wonder if Home Depot sells reverse thread bolts?

What do you guys think new pedals?

S

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 at 19:01 Quote
My FSRxc did the same thing (from the sounds of it). My problem was the main pivot nut/bolt not being tight enough. I would clean out the main pivot, and it would be fine for a ride or two. But after that it would start that annoying creeking again. So one day I tried just a little bit more torque, and it hasnt done it since.

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 at 3:17 Quote
TRY2KPUP wrote:
My FSRxc did the same thing (from the sounds of it). My problem was the main pivot nut/bolt not being tight enough. I would clean out the main pivot, and it would be fine for a ride or two. But after that it would start that annoying creeking again. So one day I tried just a little bit more torque, and it hasnt done it since.

Did you use a torque wrench or just hand tighten? I'll email KHS and see if they can tell me the max. I wouldn't want to strip that bolt :O

Posted: Jul 15, 2010 at 6:25 Quote
I just did it by "feel". If I had the proper torque wrench, I would have used that. But I was pretty confident that it would take the torque i gave it.

Posted: Jul 16, 2010 at 14:13 Quote
I've had the same issue happen to my 09 Devinci Remix SL3.

Had a crazy creak which drove me insane. I tried cleaning everything and greasing everything. Sometimes it sounded like the creak was coming form the BB or the seat... very weird.

I decided to spray some Valvoline silicone grease on the rear linkage bearings and it made such a difference. I suppose from all the rides in the spring, some moisture got in the bearings combined with dust and such and started to generate this creak, so try cleaning the rear suspension linkage and see if that changes anything.

Good luck and let me know if that worked

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.114785
Mobile Version of Website