Powered by Outside

Best do it all bike? HELP!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best do it all bike? HELP!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 16:30 Quote
I need a bike that can handle steep climbs, all day in the saddle rides, but still rip the occasional bike park. I have been considering the Transition Covert, Intense Uzzi, Giant Reign SX, Trek Scratch, SC Nomad. Please give any other suggestions if you have any. I want to keep it under $4300 and around 34 pounds. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 17:45 Quote
thought about the rune? my buddy loves his Wink i really want one for next year too Blank Stare i hate spending money lol

EDIT: if u do the wildcard, do a lyric or a totem u-turn so climbing is a lil betterWink

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 17:49 Quote
Considered it, don't like the look of it though. I really want a Wildcard but I'm unsure of it's AM capabilities. Confused

EDIT: I was planning on running a 36 Float, I didn't think Totems would climb very well considering they have 7 inches of travel.

2nd EDIT: Never mind U-Turn, I'll consider the totem.

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 17:53 Quote
and lyric SHOULD be enough i was just thinking incase u want it raked out lol

and lyric u-turn or a talas would work fine tup

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 17:55 Quote
I'm curious if the Talas is worth the extra money and weight, I doubt I'll ever need/want to change from 160mm.

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:01 Quote
just do a float then Smile rlc so u can lock it out on a climb if u need to tup

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:02 Quote
If you're getting a 36 for hucking, I'd stick with the Van, the air cartridges are just a lot less durable in my experience. Lyric would also be an excellent choice, especially if you went the u-turn route for climbing and such.

It's important to consider the fact that if you want to be able to shred it on the way down without having to hesitate, the Wildcard is probably the way to go. Having a heavier bike might make climbing slightly more challenging, but it'll be a good workout for you. Unless you're planning on doing a lot of Enduro style racing, based on what you described above, the Wildcard would be my vote (and this is coming from a Transition enthusiast!)

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:04 Quote
ok, so I went through a similar search to find a all purpose bike myself. the two bikes you have there are REALLY nicely speced. Out of the two I would chose the wildcard because of it's adjustable suspension and general burliness while still being pedalable. The covert would be a better rig for the uphill but I wouldn't recommend it for the dh/fr days.
I have owned a giant reign, a transition bottlerocket, and an intense slopestyle as "do it all" bikes. The reign was a good trail bike but it just wasn't up to the task of burly dh/fr. The bottlerocket was a blast to jump and throw around but it was quite bumpy on the dh stuff and was a pedal-bobbing pig for pedaling uphill. Now the Intense Slopestyle has been a completely different experience. It is plush on the DH, fun to jump, and quite nimble and pedalbob free on the way back up. I have also riden Giant Reign Xs and have to say that they also make for a fantastic do it all ride. They are almost as much fun on the way up as they are on the way down. If it were me I woudld get a virtual pivot style bike (VPP, Maestro, DW, etc.) because they suffer from far less brake jack and pedal bob.
I would look at these: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5313257/ , https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/675562/ , https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=3&category=1&q=intense&pmax=&pmin=&page=1 , https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/678597/ , https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4497816/ etc.

My final recommendation is that no matter what bike you chose to buy I woudld get a second wheelset. Having one "heavyduty" wheelset, w/rotor, dh tires, casette, and chain, and one lightweight wheelset with xc tires, chain, casette, and rotor makes any bike far more versitile.

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:14 Quote
Thanks. The Intense SS is a little out of my price range. I will not be hucking, biggest drop I will do is only like 7 feet, so I think the float will be okay. Any opinions on float rlc vs lyrik u turn?

EDIT: The SS is actually not as bad as what I though. That is also an option.

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:17 Quote
I like Covert personally.
But you cannot go wrong with either.
Althought I think the Rune would be more versitile than bolth.

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:17 Quote
comparing apples to bananas my friendWink the 36float rlc is like the lyric solo air, both with lock out(to a point) and the talas is more comparable to the u-turn.

figure out what you want the fork to do then figure out what one u wantWink

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:18 Quote
Okay. I think it will be the Wildcard. Thanks for all the help guys.

Here is the spec: blue med frame
either 36 float rlc or lyic u turn
Dhx air 5.0
823 UST
Elixir CR
Full XO
Atlas FR crankset and bars
straitline pedals
thomson elite
pg990 cassette
Maxxis DHF UST

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:19 Quote
wild card looks sickWink i expect to see picturesWink

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:22 Quote
Have to sell Glory first! Cry Evil

Posted: Jul 18, 2010 at 18:23 Quote
some one will want itWink tape a for sale sign onto it the next time u go to a resortWink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008559
Mobile Version of Website