(singlespeed) info & discussion

PB Forum :: 29ers
(singlespeed) info & discussion
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 11:29 Quote
This is the place to discuss singlespeed road bicycles.

Almost everything you need to know about converting your old road bike into a singlespeed!

~Parts you should know about.~

Frames,

SE
Soma
Surly
Charge
All-City
Torelli
Colnago
Cinelli
Leader
redline
NS
Pake
steelman
GT
Masi
Nemesis Project
Brooklyn Machine Works
Geek House
Volume
Identiti
Tonic Fab
Local Frame Builders

Cranksets,

Sugino
Dura-Ace
Campagnolo
FSA
Miche
Truvativ
Paul
Profile Racing

Pedal Stuff,

Soma Cages & Straps
MKS
Campagnolo
Tioga
Brooks
Christophe
Odyssey
SPD
LOOK

Handlebars,

Nitto
Soma
Surly
Civia
Easton
FSA
Answer
Cinelli
Profile Designs

Tires,

Panaracer
Soma
Halo
Challange
Michelin
Vittoria
Tufo
Schwalbe
Continental

Chains,

KMC
IZUMI
Miche
Wipperman

Saddles,

Brooks
Cinelli
Charge
WTB
Selle San Marco
Selle Italia

Hubs,

Phil Wood
CHUB
Chris King
White Industries
Profile Racing
Paul
Surly
Formula

~Places you should know about.~

Post your singlespeed

RATE MY RIDE Commuter/Road/Fixie

Sheldon Brown Technical Bicycle Info

Prolly Is Not Probably

Velo Space

Rivendell Bicycle Works

Craigs List Classifides

More to come...

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 11:42 Quote
Cool to see a singlespeed thread thanks SinglespeedToday for making it.

I'm building this as my SS project a T2 I'll be running it for a couple of years until I get a Campag Veloce groupset and then I'll run my singlespeed set-up on a new frame.

photo

Also someone on another forum said to run magic gear but does it have an advantage over a chain tensioner?

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:01 Quote
Yeah man, thanks for suggesting it.

The advantages of a magic gear are less moving parts and less weight. The disadvantage is that you're very limited to what gear ratio you use.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:05 Quote
Ah okay, due to that I'll run a tensioner as I want to run a 20t to start off with, I'm not lazy lol just I haven't rode a bike for 14 weeks now and by the time I get my bike it would've been 6months maybe more + there are a few hills on the route I do.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:30 Quote
I wouldn't bother using a magic gear as it's so much hassle with finding correct gear and with over time chain will stretch as well.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:33 Quote
Ah, another good point not to, I also forked out £30 on the chain tensioner so I don't want it to go to waste.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:42 Quote
I'm currently in process of building my ss before I try fixed. Are you planning on running front and back brakes as noticed you have lever there for top of bar? I'm not sure whether to have two crosstops but I'm not sure if its going to be practical and going to be dangerous, as well as look silly.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:46 Quote
Yep I'm going to run two brakes, I wouldn't run one in my opinion it's dangerous but that's just me, I see many fixed gear and singlespeed bikes with a front brake only and they seem to be fine.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 12:47 Quote
I've run just one cross lever to the rear brake before and it was fine, I only really used it on flats always being in the drops on downhills.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 14:06 Quote
awsome, we need this thread i think

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 14:15 Quote
Burial wrote:
I'm currently in process of building my ss before I try fixed. Are you planning on running front and back brakes as noticed you have lever there for top of bar? I'm not sure whether to have two crosstops but I'm not sure if its going to be practical and going to be dangerous, as well as look silly.

depends on your riding style i think, i like the idea of brake levers by the stem on drops, its where my hands spend most there time, its what ive got used to on my fixed gear as well

could always get some cheep or old drop bar levers and fit them with no cables just to use as a hand position then have your brakes on the top? look a bit funny but would be practicalSmile

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 15:58 Quote
magic gear isnt great, what about ghost gear? just take apart an old cassette and select a cog, put it inbetween the chain and move forward or backward for more or less tension:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bikemag.com/diy/DIY-ghost-gear-single.jpg

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 16:02 Quote
Thanks for the tips everybody, but I'm going to run the tensioner, it would be a waste of £30 too if I didn't use it!! Salute

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 at 14:41 Quote
Right, I've decided to buy an on-one pompetamine http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPOMPET/on-one-pompetamine-frame in the new year and noticed it has room for disc brakes. Does anyone know any good single speed hubs for the rear that have disc mount and also thread for freewheel? Can I just simply get a MTB hub and use that? Or am I going to have to convert a cassette? I have noticed surly do some hubs and there are a few others about. Anyone tried any of these type of hubs?

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 at 15:27 Quote
Any 135mm disk hub will work, Paul makes a good one.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012379
Mobile Version of Website