Powered by Outside

Roll Call: FL Freeriders/Trailriders (North, Central, & South)

PB Forum :: USA - East
Roll Call: FL Freeriders/Trailriders (North, Central, & South)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 at 5:22 Quote
Hey Hey FL riders! Figured I would start a place for us FL freeriders and trail trekkies to hang out on PinkBike. Come on in and introduce your self, your steed, and where you are or ride.

I'll start it off! I am known around FL as ChiliPepper, and I ride a duo with my 12 year old son, which is a serious ripper (but not as good as i am...:lolSmile , and my wife, though she is the more passive XC rider. We ride our local trail, the GFT, which is a ever changing, challenging, and very fun trail. Lots of drops and jumps to have a blast on, though the trail flows very well. We also travel around FL shredding trails such as Santos, Markham Park, Alafia, Balm Boyette, Carter (Loyce), Jimmy Cotton, Ft. Pierce, LBE (Snowhill), Soldiers Creek, and many more here in FL and out of state. We do a lot of urban FR as well in the concrete jungle, but love to spend some time in the DTO (downtown Orlando) scene or here in Melbourne/Cocoa area.

Anyways, I rock on three steeds right now (another in the works, a hcuking/jumping HT).....

IH Yakuza Kumicho (8" rear, and Totem fork)
IH Yakuza Gashira (HT - 7" Manitou Sherman FR fork)
Santa Cruz Bullit (7" to 7.5" all around)
Jamis Komodo II
Mirraco 20Forty (DJ/Urban/Trail)
Mongoose Ritual (DJ/Park/Street)

My son rocks on a.....

IH Yakuza Aniki (7" all around travel)
Santa Cruz Bullit (7" to 7.5" all around)
Mirraco 20Forty (DJ/Urban/Trail)

My wife rocks on (my steed).....

Jamis Komodo II

So come on FL riders, join in and post up! On-On!

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 8:10 Quote
Damn, is there any FL riders out there in this world of Pinkism? Come on! I know there is some locals here from my neck of the woods and at least some rocking freeriders in the Ocala area drifting around here. Beer

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 15:50 Quote
looking to check out GFT.

How do you get there from Orlando? What's the condition of the Freeride stuff, I've read a few different reports.

Thanks

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 16:45 Quote
traeday3 wrote:
looking to check out GFT.

How do you get there from Orlando? What's the condition of the Freeride stuff, I've read a few different reports.

Thanks
Hey, whatz up! The GFT rocks, though so ever changing. Trust me, I was one of the builders. The FR stuff is was looking good the other week. Did not get out there this past weekend due to being at the local BMX track and having a street sesh with my family. We still have a lot of elevation change, 4 ledge drops (more on the way), a small DJ line (not gaps anymore, been converted to tables), lots of rollers, big step ups, and lots of drop downs. The trail is flowing pretty good these days, especially after the near aniliation of the trail 8 months ago. Lost a lot of great sh*t out there when that happened, and broke a many of our local builders hearts.....lol So many new things being put together, but just do not have the H20 so we can continue building. Anyways, the directions I will send to you in a PM.....

You can look in my pictires in my profile to see some GFT (Grapefruit Trail or Fruit Trail) pics....

Whenever you plan on coming over and down, just give me a shout, I can show you around if ya want. It helps to ride with someone local that knows the right flow and travel. The old trail is no more, though most of the old trail has been built into the newer one.

On-On bro!

Posted: Jan 21, 2011 at 18:45 Quote
Ocala, Florida here, I ride at santos or the park usually, not a big time freerider considering how flat Florida is.
I pretty much stick to dirt jumps as you can tell by my steed. Not many riders in Florida on PB though, so it's not often i get to talk to someone about trails/events.
photo

Posted: Jan 21, 2011 at 19:58 Quote
mango-licious wrote:
Ocala, Florida here, I ride at santos or the park usually, not a big time freerider considering how flat Florida is.
I pretty much stick to dirt jumps as you can tell by my steed. Not many riders in Florida on PB though, so it's not often i get to talk to someone about trails/events.
photo
Whatz up mango? Good to have you join here on this thread. There are a few Santos riders here on PB, but not many though. Get up that way as much as possible, though been spending more time at Markham Park lately.

Nice steed BTW!

Posted: Jan 22, 2011 at 7:36 Quote
Iv'e always wanted to ride at markham park, but I haven't had the time to get down there.
Iv'e heard some pretty good things about it though. It's really sad Ocala used to have a nice variation of trails,
but now there isn't anymore being that Hardrock and Razorback closed.

Posted: Jan 22, 2011 at 18:11 Quote
mango-licious wrote:
Iv'e always wanted to ride at markham park, but I haven't had the time to get down there.
Iv'e heard some pretty good things about it though. It's really sad Ocala used to have a nice variation of trails,
but now there isn't anymore being that Hardrock and Razorback closed.
Yeah, RIP.....Razorback & Hardrock! They were some sweet trails back in the day. Now with Powerlines closed up in the Gainesville area as well is such a bummer. Markham is pretty awesome, and I can never get enough of the black diamond and red diamond trails. They have a smaller pump track at the TH now which is real nice as well, though my bike is pretty big for a pump track. I do have a few recent pics in my profile of Markham Park, but mainly of the Skills Area. I definitely have to say that Santos and Markham are the best FL has to offer that is still open, though Carter (Loyce) is a sick trails system as well.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 10:09 Quote
im near panamacity kinda new always looking to ridee!

Posted: Mar 31, 2011 at 13:24 Quote
Im here in Tampa! Made it down to Markham a few times, definitely a great ride. Santos = badass! Croom(freeride section only)=Badass! I would love to make it out to the GFT...hopefully someday soon. Nice to hear from other gravity fed riders in Florida! BTW - Tampa has a pretty serious set of jumps now, and we might be opening a private freeride park in the next year or so, stay tuned!

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 at 14:01 Quote
mtorrens wrote:
Im here in Tampa! Made it down to Markham a few times, definitely a great ride. Santos = badass! Croom(freeride section only)=Badass! I would love to make it out to the GFT...hopefully someday soon. Nice to hear from other gravity fed riders in Florida! BTW - Tampa has a pretty serious set of jumps now, and we might be opening a private freeride park in the next year or so, stay tuned!

"private freeride park" please don't play with my emotions Drool

Posted: Mar 31, 2011 at 16:30 Quote
mtorrens wrote:
Awesome, another trail or park I can't ride....LOL! Seriously, that would be pretty awesome for that to fall into play. A local FR trail or park to shred without traveling for it. The GFT is sweet, but is always changing, a good mix up of fun stuff. The biggest drop we had was like an easy 9' ledge drop, but most that are left are 4' to 6' ledge drops, most with 8' to 10' gaps. Have not been out there in a few weeks due to some health issues, so not sure of condition, especially after this nasty wet weather we have had for two solid days. Anyways, yeah man, always nice to see some local or near local riders in FL joining in here on PB.....LOL

On-On!

Posted: Mar 31, 2011 at 17:31 Quote
I know I'm a little late on this but two weeks ago I headed out to Santos for fat tire fest.
I had a great time and met a few new people, not much has happened to the trails but they did fix up the vortex.
They cleaned up the jump sections (they were getting a bit rocky the last time i was there) and the pump track has some big improvements.
Not to mention they added some new jumps down in the pit...

Posted: Apr 2, 2011 at 6:57 Quote
My buddy and I actually just hosted the freeride/dj comp at Santos during the FTF. It was a blast, although one of the best riders out there took a nasty spill. We(714trails.com) are looking to host a few other comps in Florida, including some Downtown urban 2x and 4x races. Hopefully with the popularity that is being generated from these comps, we can get a public freeride park, in place of a private one : )

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 11:59 Quote
Hey All,

Miles Mattheus here. I was the unfortunate rider to hit a spectator off a drop and suffer a compound fracture to my right arm and broken right clavicle. I should be back on the FR features June 1st.

Thanks for starting the thread Chilipepper.

Santos is my 2nd home and i'm currently on the OMBA board for Dirtjump and Freeride maintenance/enhancement. Over the last year, myself and several other dedicated builders have transformed the Dirt Jumps and Vortex Pit. We have had over 150 yards of red baseball clay trucked in to cover the original fill dirt that was used. A big thanks to OMBA and the office of Greenway Trails for the resources. There are too many improvements to list. We keep most of the features covered with tarps to help protect them from the weather and to keep people from playing on them. Feel free to remove them if you want to ride, but please put them back how you found them. We are also in the process of applying Soiltac to help prevent erosion this summer. If you like BIG dirtjumps (up to 30ft) and BIG drops (up to 25ft), Santos is the spot. We are out almost every weekend riding or building. If you have any questions about the Santos Free Ride Area, e-mail me at Miles@SantosTrails.com.

Check out www.SantosTrails.com I'm in the process of building the site, but there is a link to our Facebook page, where we are currently posting our updates.

Hope to see you at the Santos Trails,
Miles

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020599
Mobile Version of Website