Powered by Outside

Rules of the road, obey or brake?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Rules of the road, obey or brake?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 20:09 Quote
Just wondering about what other people do, I'm always thinking about it, it is important subject to because its about your safety

I keep mixing between the 2 sides to be honest, trying to find a balance i guess

What do you do?

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 20:29 Quote
I just make decisions on the go....I ride on the correct side of the road as a rule....then just decide weather to stop or not at crossings...cut accross the road illegally when i wanna get to the other side...things like this, i would consider myself moderatley safe, Only had two accidents with cars (on a bike anyway----only minor injuries...nothing to bad---on foot i got run over by an SUV that led to a 6 month recovery....3 of which were in a wheelchair)

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 20:35 Quote
jimbo33000 wrote:
I just make decisions on the go....I ride on the correct side of the road as a rule....then just decide weather to stop or not at crossings...cut accross the road illegally when i wanna get to the other side...things like this, i would consider myself moderatley safe, Only had two accidents with cars (on a bike anyway----only minor injuries...nothing to bad---on foot i got run over by an SUV that led to a 6 month recovery....3 of which were in a wheelchair)

people who dont know how to use a brake on any vehicle and cant use their eyes to see are the worst ones

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 20:58 Quote
yeah guess i'm the same, if i think i'm safe to run that red light ill go for it, i often do on left turnings(we drive on the left) my thinking is as long as you don't make any hassle for any drivers there's no big deal, may piss them off but i'm not in there way

what i found that was weird but probably explains a lot is on my road bike i'm more sensible, on my fixed gear i got more a f*ck it and just go for it attitude

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 21:15 Quote
It's just common sense and being aware of everything around you. If you see a stop sign or a red light you'd better stop (or slow way down) and look both ways before going through. Also, always have a escape plan if shit hits the fan.

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 21:33 Quote
yeah of course, don't go riding into things that you can't see what's happening, just dumb, if i can see no cars coming to run me over ill go through that red light, why not?

on another forum i got so much abuse because i said i sometimes ride on the path, but i think its fine

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 at 23:19 Quote
Usually on the road I'm pretty safe, but if I see a red light, I'll hop up onto the pavement and use the zebra crossing.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 2:10 Quote
Only kids should ride on the pavement, unless there's actually a bike lane there. Hate it when people who are capable to ride on the road expect me to move out of their way when I'm walking.

Tend to just judge red lights depending on the situation. Once this other guy (also RLJing) hit my back wheel. He went down -ha- and blamed me for it, saying I was giving cyclists a bad name...

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 3:04 Quote
i always ride on the pavement unless its a more 'straight' line in the direction im going (i.e. one part of road i go on would involve 4 or 5 crossings on the pavement)

but i ALWAYS give right of way to pedestrians
its their path
i just dont feel safe enough on the road, and i near always have close calls
i havent even started driving yet i can point out drivers mistakes left right and centre
which is wrong

they seem to be giving a license to just about anyone!
gets me rather angry
when im on the road for the short time though, i obey all rules

i do tear it up in between though
thats why i like riding the pavement - more obstacles and stairs etc. Smile

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 3:18 Quote
It's all common sense. If the way is clear I'll ride on, if not I'll stop.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 3:49 Quote
cyfa89 wrote:
i always ride on the pavement unless its a more 'straight' line in the direction im going (i.e. one part of road i go on would involve 4 or 5 crossings on the pavement)

but i ALWAYS give right of way to pedestrians
its their path
i just dont feel safe enough on the road, and i near always have close calls
i havent even started driving yet i can point out drivers mistakes left right and centre
which is wrong

they seem to be giving a license to just about anyone!
gets me rather angry
when im on the road for the short time though, i obey all rules

i do tear it up in between though
thats why i like riding the pavement - more obstacles and stairs etc. Smile

This,even more so with the stupid feckers that you see on a mobile phone,why the f*ck should i put my life in the hands of some dim wit.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 3:59 Quote
crunchss wrote:
It's all common sense. If the way is clear I'll ride on, if not I'll stop.

at least we all have the same thoughts then!

few places here where 100 metres down a not so busy one way street on the path saves like a half mile detour for me, so i usually hop on the path and ride slowly, only go jogging speed, usually just short cuts and one way streets or in traffic where the cars only move 2 metres at a time, such a pain in the ass, even worse on a fixed gear

but around here by the back of the small flats n houses between the canal we have some small fields with a park n stuff, there's paths all along there leading to bridges over the canal, but they are pretty much cycle lanes they get ridden so much

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 4:07 Quote
It depends almost entierly on what bike im riding, like if im on the bmx [its Brakeless] i ride on the pavement simply because its more fun, On the MTB i tend do a mixture of both like going up on the pavement to get through a red light or pass some dick wearing high viz during the day and riding about 1mph Grrrr. When im on the fixed gear i always ride on the road and i try to be in the most obvious place, so they know for definite im there but i still get people who pull out infront of me or cut me off when they're turning down a side street.

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 4:17 Quote
yeah drivers are terrible, something you have to put up with, i just find it makes it more a challenge which is more fun!

but what i really do hate is the way drivers have to rev like mad and try so damn hard to over take a cyclist, but then they turn right after, or there's a red light, absolutely no point

they arnt that bothered waiting behind a slow car or when they are in some traffic getting slowed down anyway, but 1 cyclist that will hold them up for a few extra seconds is in there way so better overtake them as soon as possible!

literally if i had a penny for every time a car over took me then braked in front of me i'd be rich

Posted: Apr 5, 2011 at 6:49 Quote
marquis wrote:

...why the f*ck should i put my life in the hands of some dim wit.

Why should a pedestrian? OK, not their lives, but riding faster than people walk puts them in danger.

Just ride on the road, you pussies!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009045
Mobile Version of Website