Powered by Outside

Roco Air WC does not fit Demo7! What I'm willing to do to make it....

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Roco Air WC does not fit Demo7! What I'm willing to do to make it....
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 18:32 Quote
Just found out the hard way that the 08 Roco Air WC won't fit my 07 Demo7! But I'm determine to make it fit. I want this shock on my bike so bad that I'm willing to take my dremel to the swing arm to make room for the shock. Yes, I know that will void the warranty so please refrain from reminding me. If anyone is going through the same affair or knows of some useful information that I should know, please share. I'll update this forum with my progress....
photo

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 18:36 Quote
So, are those balls you've got brass? or titanium :-) If you're gonna do it already, bro, then GO FOR IT! Love to hear If it cracks or not!

Annyway, take it easy when you're doing it. Nice and slow and smooth. Don't try to take too much out at once, and hopefully it'll be ok (assuming good wall thickness)

I'm sure you know all that already, but gotta make sure!

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 18:45 Quote
what size shock did you get? i was actually going to put an air shock on my demo 7 and i discovered that the fox dhx5 air is the one that actually fits. But damn that suck for you. What r u going to use the opening bigger? a file or like a sander or small saw

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 19:13 Quote
demo4life wrote:
what size shock did you get? i was actually going to put an air shock on my demo 7 and i discovered that the fox dhx5 air is the one that actually fits. But damn that suck for you. What r u going to use the opening bigger? a file or like a sander or small saw

Shock size: 8.5" eye to eye, 2.5" stroke.

I'm not a fan of Fox suspension and I'm a big fan of Marzocchi, so.... roco air is #1 for me.

I'll be using a dremel with a mini sand paper drum bit. I have plenty experience with machining aluminum so there are no concerns there.

The area that I cutting into has plenty of thickness. The only thing that concerns me is how Specialized engineered this frame. Did they build this frame with the minimum amount of aluminum? How balanced is the wait vs strength ratio? Life time warranty should mean extra strong frame - which should mean I can shave a little bit, right?...... Lets hope so.

Anyone know a Specialized rep?

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 19:18 Quote
honestyl i would just send the shock back. Get your money back and buy the right shock. You could end up spending more in the long run if you dremel it and something bad does happen. play it safe on this one bro.

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 19:18 Quote
Have you ever watched the extras on the DVD of ROAM? Theres a specialized tour, with lots o stuff about the demo frame and testing. They over engineered it, but still, it doesnt say the areas that they made things thin. I have a distinct feeling that the shock mounts are not one of the thin points :-)

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 19:19 Quote
mtbrider007 wrote:
honestyl i would just send the shock back. Get your money back and buy the right shock. You could end up spending more in the long run if you dremel it and something bad does happen. play it safe on this one bro.

But also he gets the glory of being the only one on pinkbike who had the balls to fit it in there :-) That alone is worth maybe having to buy a new swingarm :-)

FL
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 19:48 Quote
hey buddy did you every tryin to reverse the shox so the rc thing is on the other side

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 20:29 Quote
dh-bomber wrote:
hey buddy did you every tryin to reverse the shox so the rc thing is on the other side

That still wont make it fit

FL
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 21:51 Quote
oh thats weak man such a nice frame and shox.oh well i think you idea is good i dont think it will weakin the frame.just be careful

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 22:10 Quote
is the shock different only in the eye-to-eye length, or also the travel length. if this shox is larger, i'd hope it will give your bike more travel, so you can sag the suspension to when the bike was meant to ride around. otherwise the bike will ride pretty high in the back

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 22:12 Quote
id try getting the new parts were the shock mounts to change were it goes before griding your swing arm..

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 22:29 Quote
i woulda busted out the dremmel already!! good luck man, I'm sure you'll be ok..

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 22:38 Quote
the best of luck to ya(i dont have any real advice)

by the way nice pedels

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010824
Mobile Version of Website