Powered by Outside

What's the best way to keep your balance in the air when going big?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
What's the best way to keep your balance in the air when going big?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 7:41 Quote
when ever i go big i always lose my balance in the air and have to put my foot down, which has resulted in several injuries :/

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 7:55 Quote
Don't go "dead sailor" in the air. Flow with the bike, and keep building up jump size until you feel absolutely comfortable going big. When you don't go stiff in the air (dead sailor) you can balance to land correctly.

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 12:57 Quote
Dirt-Street-Park wrote:
Don't go "dead sailor" in the air. Flow with the bike, and keep building up jump size until you feel absolutely comfortable going big. When you don't go stiff in the air (dead sailor) you can balance to land correctly.

to not dead sailor, just relax. working up in jump size or the height of the air you get is the best way to help you learn to relax in the air.

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 13:01 Quote
I find if you are 'nosing in' grab the back brake and it helps the balance you out, don't know how or why, but it seems to work hahah.

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 13:05 Quote
iv found the opposite to above with the rear brake. iv found it noses you in rather than level out. not saying your wrong or anything, maybe im odd lol

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 13:06 Quote
hahah I don't know, but it usually works for me. Also having speed helps, and keeping a nice even balance, with pedals level

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 13:07 Quote
yeah speed does Smile . the main thing is to keep loose though in my opinion

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 13:10 Quote
Yea never go stiff (helps at other times though Wink hahah), just feel the jump

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 13:11 Quote
hucker-kid wrote:
Yea never go stiff (helps at other times though Wink hahah), just feel the jump
dont wanna be doing that while djing though lol

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 15:01 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n48/n241668.jpg

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 16:08 Quote
Get a larger frame :b

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 22:05 Quote
Hitting the brake drops the front because of the change in the rotation of the back wheel creating a lever in a sense and dropping the front.

That may have come out wrong so lets but it another way.
The torque generated by a rotating wheel isn't much in our case(BMX bikes) but when you change it's momentum that torque is then forced out to the rest of the bike while in the air. So speeding up the back tire brings up the front, slowing it down drops the front.
Watch a motorcycle in the air; you'll notice that the rider will increase the throttle in the air if they feel the front is dropping too much(part of why you hear them rev the f*ck out of the engine while doing a back flip).

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 22:10 Quote
AmysKeeper wrote:
Hitting the brake drops the front because of the change in the rotation of the back wheel creating a lever in a sense and dropping the front.

That may have come out wrong so lets but it another way.
The torque generated by a rotating wheel isn't much in our case(BMX bikes) but when you change it's momentum that torque is then forced out to the rest of the bike while in the air. So speeding up the back tire brings up the front, slowing it down drops the front.
Watch a motorcycle in the air; you'll notice that the rider will increase the throttle in the air if they feel the front is dropping too much(part of why you hear them rev the f*ck out of the engine while doing a back flip).
I dont dj (yet), but i think that it is also the fact that when you are riding normally, and you brake, it is natural instinct to lean/pull back a bit, and if you brake in the air, you might subconciensely lean back also.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010099
Mobile Version of Website