Powered by Outside

Fear of boardwalk, help needed desperatley!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fear of boardwalk, help needed desperatley!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 14:06 Quote
Hi all
Im going to Scotland in a few weeks and the other half is convinced he is going to drag me down the red dh on the nevis range.
What the problem is im terrified of riding on boardwalk/northshore. Irrational as this fear may seem, i just cant get over it. If i go on it, no matter how high, i wobble straight for the edge. I have tried watching videos to reassure myself but its making it worse.
As you may know there is a huge amount of it on the red route, with massive sheer drops on the right.
I need help with either tips on how to ride it, or ways of over coming my fear.
Please help, im desperate and this is making me feel really rubbish!!!!!!!!

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 14:24 Quote
Im with you on the hating boardwalks but more because they always seem slippery but if its blance your struggeling with maybe try practice track stands so your happy with the bike at slower speeds also try not to grab the brake i would say board walk is alot easier if you keep your speed so you dont have to pedal which will alter your balance.

Also look far ahead instead of whats off to the side and foucs on what your riding on not what you may fall on.

Hope that helps a bit

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 16:51 Quote
I'm not afraid of heights, just widths. Wide tires (tyres) help, keeping your focus farther ahead instead of staring at your front wheel. Flat pedals and body armour???

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 16:56 Quote
just pretend your riding on a sidewalk on flat ground

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 17:24 Quote
look ahead, and be mind full of where you are on the ladder bridge, i tend to sprint across anything thats around a foot to a foot and a half wide lol

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 19:34 Quote
I have watched footage of it on youtube and there is a lot of switchbacks, steps and steep slopes on it, i may be ok on the flat stuff but oh my god the rest is not good!!!! lol
I only have knee and shin pads and a fullface helmet to protect me to.
I know all the theory to riding the damn stuff just cant get past "the FEAR" lol
The other half is now completely hacked off with me over it to, all he keeps saying is "ur doing it' simple as!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers for the advice so far guys.

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 19:38 Quote
links to the vids?

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 19:41 Quote
keep a steady speed and ride smooth. if you start twitching your front wheel and braking, physics will be a bitch to you.

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 8:38 Quote
NWray wrote:
links to the vids?

I hope this link works. Its the red dh on the nevis ranges, scotland.

http://youtu.be/GShyWn5RYoo

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 8:59 Quote
its a really gnarly track i must warn you Razz

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 12:11 Quote
Bananafish wrote:
its a really gnarly track i must warn you Razz

hahaha thats really not helping !!!!!!! lol

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 13:05 Quote
pfff i sprint over skinnier shit dude:P

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
NWray wrote:
pfff i sprint over skinnier shit dude:P

i know im a bloody scaredy cat!!! lol

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 13:19 Quote
but theres no trees dude! its wide open, ladder bridges are only sketch when you have to worry about clipping your bars on tree's lol

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 13:22 Quote
NWray wrote:
but theres no trees dude! its wide open, ladder bridges are only sketch when you have to worry about clipping your bars on tree's lol

I know, like i said its just a stupid mental block, i know i need to over come it. But i like my nice intact body!!!! lol

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013328
Mobile Version of Website