what to buy: Giant yukon or Marin bolinas ridge?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
what to buy: Giant yukon or Marin bolinas ridge?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2011 at 19:40 Quote
I am looking a new XC bike that i can use to commute. i have narrowed it down to to, so i want your help to decide which is a better frame?

Based just on the frame, what would you say is a better frame? the Giant Yukon, or Marin Bolinas Ridge? And why?

Thanks
Box

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 8:17 Quote
c'mon guys, need some input here.
a lil more info..
the giant is a 29er, derailer upgraded to deore, rockshock dart 2s

the marin comes with Spinner 300 forks, 26's(cnc aluminum).

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 9:11 Quote
yellowbox wrote:
a lil more info..

the yukon is not a 29er

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 10:25 Quote
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
yellowbox wrote:
a lil more info..

the yukon is not a 29er
from the conversation i had on the phone with the LBS i had understood the yukon they had in was a 29er, if i was misinformed, or misunderstood i stand corrected.

so whats your oppinion on the frames assume the yukon isnt a 29

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 10:36 Quote
I'm not familiar with the bikes you asked about and since you didn't bother posting links to them I didn't bother looking them up.

But that doesn't matter, take them both for a test ride see what YOU think after all you're the one who has to ride it.

Edit: how did you narrow down your choice to these two bikes if your not even sure of the wheel size?

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 10:42 Quote
yellowbox wrote:
yellowbox wrote:
a lil more info..

the yukon is not a 29er
from the conversation i had on the phone with the LBS i had understood the yukon they had in was a 29er, if i was misinformed, or misunderstood i stand corrected.

so whats your oppinion on the frames assume the yukon isnt a 29

well giant stopped making the yukon hardtail in 2010, so you could pick it up fairly cheap. for 2011 it's been replaced by the revel. if you are looking for a cheap bike thats good for trails and commuting, then the yukon hands down! my g/f has one that I ride here and there and it's not bad! If you go for the yukon, ask for different tires. they come stock with kenda nevegal in the front and a blue groove in the rear. see if you can get small block 8's or something along those lines. you also get giants warranty coverage and a better fork then the Marin.

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 14:45 Quote
http://www.marinbikes.com/2010/bike_specs.php?serialnum=1429

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/yukon.brushed.blue/3874/36248/

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 17:37 Quote
Giant seems best based on spec. but both suffer when it comes to forks and wheels, they're basically heavy and cheap but the frames are not good enough to justify the cost of upgrading them.

Wouldn't be mad about either frame probably better going for the one that feels/fits best or wait a while longer and spend a bit more on a better bike.

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
celticdavey wrote:
Giant seems best based on spec. but both suffer when it comes to forks and wheels, they're basically heavy and cheap but the frames are not good enough to justify the cost of upgrading them.

Wouldn't be mad about either frame probably better going for the one that feels/fits best or wait a while longer and spend a bit more on a better bike.

the original post is asking about a basic trail/commuter bike. nothing special and no need to spend any more then the amount either of those 2 bikes cost. the yukon isn't even that heavy, but does suffer from a bad choice of tires.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 3:00 Quote

the original post is asking about a basic trail/commuter bike. nothing special and no need to spend any more then the amount either of those 2 bikes cost. the yukon isn't even that heavy, but does suffer from a bad choice of tires.

I said the wheels and fork are heavy.

The original post was more concerned about the frames giving me the impression he might be planning upgrades in the future.

All I'm saying is there wouldn't be any point spending money on upgrades for those bike much better to spend a bit more on the bike in the first place.

Is that OK? Am I allowed my opinion? After all that's the reason people ask questions here to get opinions.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 10:15 Quote
thanks for the input guys, valuable and appreciated. i would try to get the tires swapped out at the shop before buying for something a little more commuter friendly. im leanin toward the giant if i can find the time to get to the shop before its sold.

keep the input comin guys.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:21 Quote
yellowbox wrote:
thanks for the input guys, valuable and appreciated. i would try to get the tires swapped out at the shop before buying for something a little more commuter friendly. im leanin toward the giant if i can find the time to get to the shop before its sold.

I don't know how much the yukon is (2010 might be marked down), but giant has replaced the yukon with the revel and the revel 0 is essentially the same bike but with better spec'ed tires. comes stock with kenda small block 8's instead of the nevegal/blue groove thats on the yukon. it's also the same price as the yukon. oh and the black/green paint looks way better then the yukons paint. so if the yukon is sold, don't worry, just look at the revel.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 15:50 Quote
Did not read all the post but Marin only offers a 5yr warranty and I believe Giant offers lifetime. Something to think about.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 19:53 Quote
yellowbox wrote:

I don't know how much the yukon is (2010 might be marked down)...

yeah the yukon is marked down, as is the marin because its a 2010. part of how i narrowed it down to these to bikes.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 23:58 Quote
yellowbox wrote:

yeah the yukon is marked down, as is the marin because its a 2010. part of how i narrowed it down to these to bikes.

I know money is always an issue when anyone buys a new bike, but try not to compromise on what you want to much just because something is on sale. Think ahead and make sure you have picked the right bike before you hand over the money.

Also make sure you get the right size, it can be hard when the price is right, but if they don't have it in your size walk away.

To many people end up with a bike to big or to small because the got a great deal in a sale.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011136
Mobile Version of Website