Powered by Outside

* Post Your Videos for Critiques *

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
* Post Your Videos for Critiques *
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 14:45 Quote
Hey guys- Just started this thread for videos, and video critiques only. The other video thread used to be great, but now it is filled with pure banter, and nonsense, heres a thread purely dedicated to videos!

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 10:42 Quote
....with no videos! lol just noticed its only 10 days old. well seeing as there are not any videos to criticize then i may as well post my latest project. length 22 mins
enjoy Smile
Views: 2,715    Faves: 66    Comments: 20

pretty happy with it. there are some sections i would shorten/re-edit but its not worth it.

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 11:53 Quote
jeah thats fresh!
got every cam angle in it! (even cablecam!)
music choice is also really nicely fitting.
also nice that u got sequences with fillers (do u call it like that?) would be pretty boring without (if the vid is 20min long)

only bad thing are the colors. (and perhaps the shaky cam, but u were on a trip, so my full understanding Wink )

i got a vid by myself. It's self filmed, so i couldnt get all the angles i wanted (everyone was working Frown )
ohterwise im pretty happy with the endresult

Views: 782    Faves: 4    Comments: 2

PS: this vid got all the angles but from my side no tripod and a shaky hand: www.pinkbike.com/video/188275/
here i'm also pretty happy with the editing

critiques are happily appreciated! Salute

Posted: Oct 7, 2011 at 20:15 Quote
Alrighty, this is a little bit of a different flavour for a PB video but I'll put it out there anyway.

My goals on this project were:

1: to showcase how beautiful morning commuting can be
2: observe the shared experience of people who do commute via bike.

my technical know how is probably lacking and I'd love feedback on it especially, though of course you are the critic so whatever you see that warrants a comment please do so.

Views: 838    Faves: 4    Comments: 1

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 0:49 Quote
First edit so let me know. The bike in the beginning was not planned so try to ignore it Smile

Views: 804    Faves: 4    Comments: 6

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 8:20 Quote
Last days of summer review:

There is something about the way you move in this edit. I'm not sure if you rotoscoped it, or what effect of how you make it look like you just sort of slide along, but it works. The music was perfect, in that it added a weird happiness to the whole thing that made it much more enjoyable then "I'm just going to film me riding a bike".

I don't want to criticize you for things that are out of your effective control. Like, how come didn't do some flip whips? this is not as good as lifecycles. Because... I assume you are working with some limited resources. but... I do have some feedback.

You give us a nice intro sequence of riding a line, the tempo is good I'm feeling the mood, and then we get a long shot of someone walking up the hill we just went down.... and it kind of spoils the whacky awesome fun times vibe for me. it's also a really long shot. and it isn't really an interesting one visually.

This is entirely a personal pet peeve but... at 1:13 you have a really cool shot established great depth, and then you jump off something thats mostly out of the shot or at least out of focus, and skip the majority of trail in the shot. personally I'd have preferred you take advantage of the great framing and just rip that section and followed the trail. But, that is entirely my preference, and not any sort of convention, what you did works too Smile

A higher quality microphone will make the leaves sound crisp, and because they play such a big role in the film that might be something to look into.

I really like your titles, little things like that make everything look better so long as they aren't over the top and you got it just right. Even when we "wait for it" you don't use big obscene letters or font.

I do't want to write you a book about your film. if you have questions feel free to ask, because I can be pretty bad at explaining things, and I don't mean to offend at all I assume if its posted here over analysis is ok.

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 9:30 Quote
carbonlite wrote:
Last days of summer review:

There is something about the way you move in this edit. I'm not sure if you rotoscoped it, or what effect of how you make it look like you just sort of slide along, but it works. The music was perfect, in that it added a weird happiness to the whole thing that made it much more enjoyable then "I'm just going to film me riding a bike".

I don't want to criticize you for things that are out of your effective control. Like, how come didn't do some flip whips? this is not as good as lifecycles. Because... I assume you are working with some limited resources. but... I do have some feedback.

You give us a nice intro sequence of riding a line, the tempo is good I'm feeling the mood, and then we get a long shot of someone walking up the hill we just went down.... and it kind of spoils the whacky awesome fun times vibe for me. it's also a really long shot. and it isn't really an interesting one visually.

This is entirely a personal pet peeve but... at 1:13 you have a really cool shot established great depth, and then you jump off something thats mostly out of the shot or at least out of focus, and skip the majority of trail in the shot. personally I'd have preferred you take advantage of the great framing and just rip that section and followed the trail. But, that is entirely my preference, and not any sort of convention, what you did works too Smile

A higher quality microphone will make the leaves sound crisp, and because they play such a big role in the film that might be something to look into.

I really like your titles, little things like that make everything look better so long as they aren't over the top and you got it just right. Even when we "wait for it" you don't use big obscene letters or font.

I do't want to write you a book about your film. if you have questions feel free to ask, because I can be pretty bad at explaining things, and I don't mean to offend at all I assume if its posted here over analysis is ok.

Thanks for the review Smile

Well there wasnt any rotoscoping. Just did a lot of color correction (is it too much?) , did a vignette and always gave attention to the light while filming.

Riding has to improove, i know.

To the scene where i was walking up: I had to make a choice if i want everything in slowmow, so that the clips fit with the first part of the song or if i took the too long scene me walking up. Well i'm not fan of slowmow vids so i took the second choice. The Walking shows also how steep that root section really is. I couldnt get any good perspective where the scene could capture the ridicolous steepness of the trail. I have to admit, an additional clip of riding, wich would have filled up the time of the first part of the song, would have been waaay better.

To the scene @ 1.13
Well thats personal preference. I really like it when a cam focus the trail that most people would follow but then it shows an other line that nobody expects.

A microphone would indeed be a bigger improvement. The micro of the Eos550d is really bad. I'm actually trying to learn to give more attention to the backgroundsound.
Do u think its a good idea to buy a remote micro? (because of sourround issuses)

With the Intro title im no really happy. Wanted to make it more 3D but didnt know if its pssoble in adobe premiere. I think after effects would be the fitting program.

Actually u explained it pretty good.
My spelling isnt that good, hope u understand it nonetheless.

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 18:34 Quote
My first edit. Just looking for some positive criticism so i can improve on my next edit. Edited with Window Movie Maker. Thanks!
Views: 214    Faves: 0    Comments: 2

Posted: Oct 13, 2011 at 0:19 Quote
Home Grown review:

i was going to write the good the bad and the ugly of this video, but really it's just the good and then some questions for you that answering should hopefully help improve the next video.

the good: nice tempo through the 2/3 of the film. I like your use of cutting, none of the shots felt too long or too short, or meaningless. Every frame had a purpose of some kind and the tempo made sure we move along with it. Awesome, please don't change from this, I assume to get it to look like it did you had to sacrifice a few good shots, or shots you wanted, but ti payed off so keep it up.

my questions to you:

1) Why did you choose to fade to black as a transition between shots during the introduction? This is entirely stylistic, it isn't as if fading to black is bad, or wrong, but It does create a sense of contrast visually from the rest of the bright and well lit shots. Why not white? It also slows it down a lot more then just a crossfade, again, not a bad thing at all, it probably helped put the tempo of the last 2/3 into context. why not slow down a crossfade, or just cut?

2) I noticed you used a 4:3 aspect ratio. This makes it look more like an older 35 or 16mm film, or old TV show. Was that intentionally planned for your use of framing? I noticed you used a lot of straight on shots, where the subject or trail was centred in the shot. Between that, the aspect ratio, and the tempo, I found it very snapshot which is sort of a cool aesthetic not many people use anymore.

3) I noticed in the credits this is part 1 and you said wait for part 2. Is there a particular reason you want to do a part 2 and not just a different edit later? By calling something part 1 it makes it feel somehow incomplete, and part 2 will be confined t the context of part 1, which can allow for some really cool stuff, so I'm curious why you'd want to go with the decision.

anyway hopefully I didn't overkill that too hard, and if you have any questions or answers to my questions let me know . I look forward to part 2.

Posted: Oct 14, 2011 at 9:21 Quote
Hi carbonlite, thanks for the review, love to hear what other people have to say!

1. I am not the rider in the video, so the plan was to go out, get some footage of him and he said want he would like to see in the video, which included a very mysterious feeling intro, which included that very ugly shot of the bike in the beginning, which if I had it my way, would not be included.

2. As you might have picked up I am not the most experienced video editor, so I am not really on track with smaller details that help the edit looks better, so I just used the default setting on Sony Vegas, which I suppose the was that ratio. Btw what would you recommend would be a good ration to use? 16:9?

3. The plan was actually to make a whole MTB mini series, showcasing some of the local riders we have here. The Part 2 mentioned would be the next part in the series ( obviously ) The part I want to make quite a bit longer, about 20min or so, which would include DH, DJ and random fooling around which puts a nice change to the feel of the vid.

For part 2, looking to get a lot more tracks in and cool spots, also trying to get a better camera, as you can see, the quality was not ideal in the first part. We also planning to get a RC helicopter which should hopefully get us some cool angles, and such.

If you have any other ideas which you think could help, please let me know super keen to start it, will probably start filming in December, due to have school exams soon

Anyway let me know
Thanks

Posted: Oct 14, 2011 at 9:53 Quote
I guess the fades led to that effect. I view videos like these as totally an art form, and the direction you decide to go with it is entirely your own. Personally to get that effect I probably would have experimented with slow cross fade or superimposing images and then layering different audio tracks, maybe talking about bikes, and you could even distort the voices, its something I'd want to play with, but thats not to say in the end a simple fade to black wouldn't convey the desired message better anyway.

the aspect ratio all depends on what you want to do. I was thinking of shooting my next edit in 4:3 to give it the feel of a 16mm film exploring a big world and only being able to capture so much of it. If you look at Paul in the Fall you'll see they use a massively wide cine-o-scpoe type vision. But thats so they can shot the horizontal nature mountain bike trails. at 1:33 there is an awesome shot where the rider literally enters moving towards the camera turns and rides out all nicely framed in thirds. You can't replicate that shot in 4:3 vision, you'll never get the same horizontal movement across the screen that defines a lot of mountain bike films. But 4:3 isn't without its advantages too, it's just knowing what you want out if it.

I love me some creative camera movement, if the RC chopper works well for you if you wouldn't mind doing a blog about how you crated the shot I'd really appreciate it.

the only advice I have, is I feel a lot of bike videos come from inspired cyclists, which means there is a real passion and creativity for the sport, but not always for the video making process. When I shoot I always try to walk into a situation with 3 or 4 film related goals in mind that I can explore while passionate about biking. If you are looking at an RC chopper and have ambitions of a 20 minute edit, I'd say you're already doing just that, but it's a good habit to stay aware of.

if you ever want to bounce ideas around for a potential edit or scene or sequence definitely let me know. Smile

Posted: Oct 14, 2011 at 16:32 Quote
Views: 663    Faves: 6    Comments: 9

Here is my latest. Self filmed which kind of sucks because I have a slider and cable cam and all kinds of goodies I cant use by myself.

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 11:59 Quote
Views: 160    Faves: 2    Comments: 3

Views: 216    Faves: 1    Comments: 1

Let me know what ya think. I know they are not the best.

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 17:05 Quote
Late Summer Shredding Review:

Man, I love your shoes. The little peek-a-boo hole in the toe is classic. but I assume you'd like more feedback then you footwear costuming.

I like most our individual shot compositions. I mean every shot has some sort of appeal and seems well framed. It could probably better, but please don't stop doing this it looks good and the colouring really shows how this is a late summer shred, its overcast with glimpses of light and dull tones. I like it.

Something to look to improve on or more like an area to explore if you continue to make bike videos is something I'd call continuity editing. This can be achieved through a number of means, I'll try to give you a start and then let your imagination and creativity do the rest for your next project.

One way of doing this is to match the colours on the screen. I really like your introduction as an example of this. Starts, dark subdued colours and lots of blue and pale white. sit down, same colours, but maybe a bit brighter. Ride out of garage and its brighter. You ride into the light, and then were on the trail and the sun is out, ready to shred. Awesome sequence. Tell the story of getting ready, and there is a constant slow change in the lighting that leads us to this great starting point. The audio does a great job of this too, and isn't overstated but really tells the narrative of this edit out. Good choice.

Then you seem to intentionally break from this model. For artistic reasons? I see this as the story of one run down the hill, but maybe I just missed your point. You break what in Hollywood is called the 180 degree rule I'm sure you can search that term up if you aren't familiar with it. But breaking that creates this weird effect where I'm not sure how to understand what I see on screen in time or space anymore. Before you were going to go biking, and now you are biking and moving down the hill and even though the sun seemed to play peek-a-boo I could follow what has happening... but then you started coming out of all sides. This isn't uncommon in bike video, because we don't want all of out shots to look the same, but often when shifting perspectives you'll see what is called a match on action where the camera moves and the rider either stays in the same place for a second (maybe in midair after the take off and before a landing) but the camera position changes. That tends to make it easier to follow.

I hope I didn't write too much again... but I really enjoy reviewing these Smile thanks for listening... or reading I guess.

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 20:34 Quote
Carbonlite, thanks for the critique. i am generally new to filming and editing videos and ill be sure to follow your advice for my next projects!

shred hard and thanks again,
Jared

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020049
Mobile Version of Website