Powered by Outside

Will Kona ever get dirtjumpers right?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Will Kona ever get dirtjumpers right?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:42 Quote
as the name of this thread suggests, kona dirtjumper are not dirtjumpers at all. they are trail hardtails. perhaps Kona gets the impression that they can take any old aluminum frame, slap some parts on it and as long as the fork is some form of Marzocchi dirtjumper, they're good to go. before the 08's came out i would ridicule them privately but this years models is the last straw. the ONLY remaining feature that remotely implies "dirtjumper" is now gone. That would be the horizonal dropout. even the high-end cowan comes with standard dropouts. the frames geometry also used to poorly cater to durtjumping with a low toptube, but that is now a thing of the past. give your feedback.

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:45 Quote
unfortunately, as kona gets more mainstream and popular, they are going to cheaper ways of doing business. they are using lower grade components at the same price point, even using cheap bushings for pivot points instead of bearings. they are also having frames built in china now. iv given up on kona and can only hope other bike companies don't follow suite

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:46 Quote
i'v never liked kona to begin with...but i agree with u. thier loosing the respect they once had. same designs year after year. only reason people buy kona is cause they are cheap bikes. people only say they like em cause they haven't tried other bikes.

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:48 Quote
bighucker wrote:
i'v never liked kona to begin with...but i agree with u. thier loosing the respect they once had. same designs year after year. only reason people buy kona is cause they are cheap bikes. people only say they like em cause they haven't tried other bikes.
norco is cheap too...but they make soem sweet dirtjumpers stock

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:49 Quote
bighucker wrote:
so true

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:52 Quote
gary fisher, Ellsworth, trek, yeti, foes, transition, turner, Santa Cruz(starting to switch over now unfortunately), rocky mountain, intense. lets try and keep these brands n there own countries by supporting them and not buying dime a dozen konas and specialized bikes

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:52 Quote
steelmonkey wrote:
bighucker wrote:
norco is cheap too...but they make soem sweet dirtjumpers stock
the only reason i'm not knocking norco is cause yeah they do have cheap bikes...but...they are very durable, and come with a good part spec depending on wat kind of rider u are. the fullys are clunky but still super solid.i had a 05 norco six...best bike i'v had ridden other than a sunday and the glory i now own.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:55 Quote
yeah now the only way to get a kona dirt jumper is to buy a shonky or cowan ds frame and build it from scrach.
i guess they just want to cater to the new riders who think konas are cool. And then the kids use them as trail bikes because they realize that even though they have a kona they still suck at dirt jumping.

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:56 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
gary fisher, Ellsworth, trek, yeti, foes, transition, turner, Santa Cruz(starting to switch over now unfortunately), rocky mountain, intense. lets try and keep these brands n there own countries by supporting them and not buying dime a dozen konas and specialized bikes
dude dont be hating on specialized they make some sweet bikes and are fairly well built and spect.

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:58 Quote
im not, i just wish they didn't make them in china now. it sucks because i want a specialized, but wont buy one because i wont buy anything major from china

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 21:58 Quote
ivlikevmeat wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
dude dont be hating on specialized they make some sweet bikes and are fairly well built and spect.
yeah same with santacruz...the 08 v10 is a definate upgrade from wat the past v10's were. i think transition is still doing super good for a company...oh how i want a bottlerocket! Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 22:00 Quote
i would buy a v10, there still made in the us,
(as far as i know) but the bullits arent. i was gunna buy one too

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 22:01 Quote
by the way, thats a list of bike companies i support, not hate

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 22:02 Quote
not a fan of the bullit tho...i think the only bikes i would get from santa cruz is v10, blur 4x. the v10 forsure if i had the money haha. but why won't u buy anything from china ?

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 22:07 Quote
they arnt making bikes in china its tiwan they still have standerd of quality. yest the dirt jumpers arnt going any were with kona but they did get it right in 05 if you got a snall frame.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.071994
Mobile Version of Website