Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

BMX VS. MTB feel/geo

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
BMX VS. MTB feel/geo
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 15:21 Quote
People like Ben Boyko and Darren Berrecloth come from a BMX aspect. So many people tell me that the dj/street mtb frames feel almost the same as BMX bikes. The only difference is the handle bar feel. What do you think about the similar geometry and how mountain biking is rolling into a BMX type style.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 15:24 Quote
well when i ride my friends mtb frame all set up for steet, itfeels to short and feels rally bad, but when i ride my bmx (with out huge bars) it feels like theres more room and just smoother.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 15:24 Quote
dj/street mtb will never be the same as bmx...bmx is way more styled and tight...dumb thread to start up anyway...its just gonna be another thread mtb vs bmx which is better...

i feel so much better on my bmx then i ever do on my mtb...bmx just feels more "responive"...also you have to define street...rigid with 24s?...definte bmx similarities but 26s and susp. meh feels sloppy to me...

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 15:35 Quote
whistla wrote:
So many people tell me that the dj/street mtb frames feel almost the same as BMX bikes. The only difference is the handle bar feel.

Anyone who says this hasn't spent enough time on either bike then, they really don't feel that much alike at all.

At minimum, a MTB frame is 2-3" longer in the back which is one of a few lengths that contributes primarily to the feel of a bike. Lean back the exact same way you do on a street bike but with a BMX and you'll be right on your ass. Try to hop the same way on a BMX as a MTB and you'll flip over backwards. Head tubes on a BMX are noticeably steeper in terms of steering and general feel.

Long story short, we may be putting BMX parts on a MTB frame and riding them on the street and in the parks alongside BMXs but that's where the similarities end in my books.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 15:45 Quote
STP--RIDER wrote:
mtb.

here we go...

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 15:49 Quote
STP--RIDER wrote:
mtb.
Excellent comment, Rolleyes

However your comparing apple's and orange's and last time I checked apple's don't taste the same orange's. And your also leaving too many loose ends. Like does the MTB have rigid's, 24" wheels, etc. All that doesn't matter anyways because they are completely different.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 16:07 Quote
whistla wrote:
People like Ben Boyko and Darren Berrecloth come from a BMX aspect. So many people tell me that the dj/street mtb frames feel almost the same as BMX bikes. The only difference is the handle bar feel. What do you think about the similar geometry and how mountain biking is rolling into a BMX type style.

I agree with you... slightly. I ride a mtb and many of my riding buddies are on bmx's. When they ride my bike, they often tell me that the bike feels like a big bmx and handles very much like a bmx, but that does not mean that they are the same. This feeling also has more to do with how your bike is set up than it does with the frame. Handlebars and stem choices affect this feeling greatly.

A mtb can be set up to feel similar to a bmx, but it will never ever identically resemble the feeling of a bmx, no matter what you do to it.

~Mark

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:13 Quote
bmx bikes r smaller and sum our lighter. it makes it easier to do stuff. but it depends on te rider like how strong the rider is. but some mtb riders r better at street the bmxers.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
mountain bikes feel way better on dirt but when i go to the skatepark on one i feel limited to what i can do and feel weird. I feel most people except me at the skatepark on a bmx but if i am on a mtb its weird.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
ron-burgundy wrote:
dj/street mtb will never be the same as bmx...bmx is way more styled and tight...dumb thread to start up anyway...its just gonna be another thread mtb vs bmx which is better...

i feel so much better on my bmx then i ever do on my mtb...bmx just feels more "responive"...also you have to define street...rigid with 24s?...definte bmx similarities but 26s and susp. meh feels sloppy to me...
well in a way i agree with on how bmx is responsive but mtb is more of thrill for me like you could do big drops with a great mtb and wont feel much except a bounce.but bmx is fun for flatland and park.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:44 Quote
really it all depends on the rider on what he likes to do and for what his attitude is which is what i've noticed in alot of bikers

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:44 Quote
i just finished riding a bmx for a year and now i have a mtb and the mtb feels a lot less touchy then a bmx

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 20:51 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
whistla wrote:
So many people tell me that the dj/street mtb frames feel almost the same as BMX bikes. The only difference is the handle bar feel.

Anyone who says this hasn't spent enough time on either bike then, they really don't feel that much alike at all.

At minimum, a MTB frame is 2-3" longer in the back which is one of a few lengths that contributes primarily to the feel of a bike. Lean back the exact same way you do on a street bike but with a BMX and you'll be right on your ass. Try to hop the same way on a BMX as a MTB and you'll flip over backwards. Head tubes on a BMX are noticeably steeper in terms of steering and general feel.

Long story short, we may be putting BMX parts on a MTB frame and riding them on the street and in the parks alongside BMXs but that's where the similarities end in my books.

This.

I'm still having a hard time trying to unlearn hops from my STP. It's so much different to hop a BMX, it's more like pumping while sticking your ass out a bit to shift your weight back, while on a MTB, it's more like leaning WAY back to pick the frontend up, then kinda arcing your hips and slamming them into your stem.

zofmg wrote:
really it all depends on the rider on what he likes to do and for what his attitude is which is what i've noticed in alot of bikers

That's what I like about biking. It's not like skating, where, even though there are subtle differences in the feel of boards, and people do have their board and truck preference, a board is still just a board.

There's a guy at a local skatepark that doesn't have a board, but still goes every day. He's REALLY good (at riding rails at least), but he's a dropout, so he doesn't have the money for a complete board, so he just borrows everybody elses.

A biker could never do that.

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 at 22:29 Quote
When I started BMX, I was scared out of my mind. It felt so small and like I would fall over the bars. It takes a bit to get used to, but it feels so good and is a blast to ride. MTB is fun too, but I think it's better to do DH and then have a small bike for fun.

Plus a BMX is so easy to work on and there are so many mods you can do to it, and it's cheap! Just a few bolts and nuts hold it together and if you're brakeless, it's ever easier!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012106
Mobile Version of Website