Stumpjumper Evo as do it all bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Stumpjumper Evo as do it all bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2012 at 23:59 Quote
I haven't been riding DH as much and I'm probably gonna be selling my DH bike to get something I can actually pedal. I'll probably end up getting a DH bike again in the future but for now I'm looking for the best bike to pedal and keep up on xc/am stuff but still hit up some of the DH spots with my buddies and even the occasional DH race. I really like the stumpjumper Evo and I'm thinking with a 36 Float 160 it would handle everything well. What do you guys think? Can the stumpjumper Evo handle that?

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 4:02 Quote
I would say yes good idea. I have the comp with 140 front + rear and its such a balanced do it all bike, so im sure the slacker geo and longer travel would be even better. I would ride it with the 150 forks for a while first though before swapping out.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 6:46 Quote
I have the 2011 Stumpy EVO and I LOVE it. I have taken it on XC, AM, and a few DH runs. While not a DH bike, it does everything well. And from my experience on it, you probably won't win any DH races, but it could handle it just fine. If your main focus is doing more XC/AM stuff, the EVO is perfect. If your focus is more DH, I would go for an enduro. The two bikes are almost overlapping, but the EVO pedals MUCH better and the enduro has just a slight advantage on the decents with the 160mm of travel. Plus, if you get a DH bike in the future, I would get the EVO for sure, except you probably won't ride the DH bike much since the evo is so funBig Grin

Sorry for the long explanation, but when I was looking to get a new bike I rode and tested A lOT of bikes. IMO, the EVO is one of the most versatile and one of the funnest bikes out there. I seriously can't say enough about it. Absolutely kills it on the climbs and flat out rips going down. Cornering on this thing feels like a DH bike and I can't seem to ride it enough. If I were going to buy a bike again, it would be the 2012 stumpy EVO.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 7:22 Quote
ggillings wrote:
I have the 2011 Stumpy EVO and I LOVE it. I have taken it on XC, AM, and a few DH runs. While not a DH bike, it does everything well. And from my experience on it, you probably won't win any DH races, but it could handle it just fine. If your main focus is doing more XC/AM stuff, the EVO is perfect. If your focus is more DH, I would go for an enduro. The two bikes are almost overlapping, but the EVO pedals MUCH better and the enduro has just a slight advantage on the decents with the 160mm of travel. Plus, if you get a DH bike in the future, I would get the EVO for sure, except you probably won't ride the DH bike much since the evo is so funBig Grin

Sorry for the long explanation, but when I was looking to get a new bike I rode and tested A lOT of bikes. IMO, the EVO is one of the most versatile and one of the funnest bikes out there. I seriously can't say enough about it. Absolutely kills it on the climbs and flat out rips going down. Cornering on this thing feels like a DH bike and I can't seem to ride it enough. If I were going to buy a bike again, it would be the 2012 stumpy EVO.
This is just what I wanted to hear. I don't really plan to win any races on it, I just want to be able to. And I think that I will be doing more xc/am so that's exactly why I want the stumpy over the Enduro. I'll probably lower the 36 160 to 150mm and then switch it back to 160 if I'm wanting more. I'm gonna go with the 2011 Evo frame just because I don't like the blue on the 2012

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 8:00 Quote
It is a super fun bike and I know a bunch of people have been putting a 36 on it and love it too. The all black is a sweet looking bike! The biggest thing you get with the 2012 is the stiffer 142X12 rear and beefier stays which is nice. I am happy with my 2011, but is something to consider.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 8:06 Quote
Yeah I would like the added stiffness. And the extra 5mm of travel wouldn't hurt. I don't like the blue but I might have to get it in the name of performance. I gotta see what the price difference is and if any are in stock.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 8:43 Quote
That is true, only good things with the 2012 performance. I actually like the black and blue too, but either way when you get it, let us know what you think and post some pics! I like seeing the different builds on the Evo’s

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 18:01 Quote
Will do. Thanks for the advice, now I just gotta sell my DH bike.

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 at 5:32 Quote
Looks like their selling out fast! Specialized UK just sold the last of their small and medium SJ evo carbons! Gutted, maybe I'll get the alloy one and spend the difference lightening it up? I can't think of anything else thats comparable?
Only other bikes on the short list were Trek Remedy, Norco Sight, Whyte 146.
Want something with 67 degree or slacker headangle, 142x12 rear end, 140-150mm travel, low ish bb. Any ideas? Complete bikes only as I have a vague budget and all my old parts are too tired for a frame swap.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2012 at 8:55 Quote
nakeddave wrote:
Looks like their selling out fast! Specialized UK just sold the last of their small and medium SJ evo carbons! Gutted, maybe I'll get the alloy one and spend the difference lightening it up? I can't think of anything else thats comparable?
Only other bikes on the short list were Trek Remedy, Norco Sight, Whyte 146.
Want something with 67 degree or slacker headangle, 142x12 rear end, 140-150mm travel, low ish bb. Any ideas? Complete bikes only as I have a vague budget and all my old parts are too tired for a frame swap.

Unless you are a super competitive racer, I would save the money and get the alloy version of the stumpy Evo then upgrade a few things on it. I am not sure exactly, but you only save a lb or two in the frame with the carbon. Then again I weigh 186lbs (84 kg) without my gear and am not a weight weenie by any means, so that may be important to you.

Other bikes I was considering before the EVO were:
Spec Enduro
Trek Remedy
Cannondale Jekyll
RM Slayer
Giant Reign

I love my EVO.

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 at 10:01 Quote
Here in the US all of the 2012's are out of stock. But there are quite a few 2011 frames left. I'm probably just gonna go with one of those. Now someone just needs to buy my DH bike.

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 22:15 Quote
I ended up getting the 2012 comp evo, I've only had one real ride so far but I'm super happy with it. Did some super d and hit the downhill course too and didn't feel too much slower than my dh bike. This thing is exactly what I was looking for and I can't wait to get some more time on it. I put some 780mm bars and a 50mm stem just because that's what I'm used to running. Was just under 30lbs but I changed to tubeless today so I need to re-weigh it. Thanks for the help guys.

Posted: Mar 4, 2012 at 10:01 Quote
For those that wanted pictures:
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2012 at 15:04 Quote
Dude, that is such a sick bike! Pretty amazing how versatile they are. I am glad you like it and you will only like it more with each ride

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017190
Mobile Version of Website