Summer Grant Frame *Stout Sigma Σ*

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Summer Grant Frame *Stout Sigma Σ*
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 24, 2012 at 19:50 Quote
I was granted $800 from my school to build a prototype bike frame. To start off here was my grant proposal:

Describe the project you would like to undertake.

I would like to design and build a prototype Dj/MTBMX frame from the ground up. This would involve redesigning/finding workarounds for problems I believe I can remedy, and finding and purchasing materials to bringing these designs to life. I have plans to increase stiffness, strength and maneuverability of the bike through innovative geometry and metal work. My main goal is to modify the geometry and design to allow for difficult maneuvers to be easier and feel more like they are being preformed on a smaller bike. I plan to devise a method to shorten the chain-stays as short as possible to allow the bike to be nimble and quick and increase the strength in the head-tube area. I also have plans to allow for more tire room in the chain stay and designs to modify the traditional dropout design for easy aligning, removing ease and strength. My plans also consist of many small details that will further the strength, durability and maneuverability of the bike. As the MTBMX/DJ/26in BMX industry is relatively small, radical innovation in frame design is rare. I believe that with my designs I can further the sport by improving on the design of the bike frame.

How much time (weeks, days or week, hours per day) do you anticipate it taking to complete? When during the summer do you plan to begin and end?

Geometry research, design, mockups and testing will probably take about 3 hours a day for a week or so. Once the geometry is set, and my designs have been deemed possible through model and mockup testing, I will have to verify all of my work with a welder. Once the welder agrees that he can do the work, I will have to order the tubing and raw materials for him to work with. Once the materials are in hand and the build is in process, I estimate a 2 week wait, as I can assume that some parts of the build may take a while to be machined/assembled. I have already spent many hours on my designs, yet I need a lot more time for research and refining. I plan to start this as soon as school gets out. The finishing time I can only estimate, but I’m guessing no more than 4weeks after the welder has my designs.

What materials and costs do you anticipate having to deal with? Try to estimate a dollar amount that your project will require.

The materials would consist of a custom tube set for the frame, thick sheet metal to cut and mill/lathe the components that need it, purchasing of the durable paint/powder coat, and other project specific materials associated with welding and production. I estimate I would need $800 to finish the project (this is taking into account paying the welder for his work, shipping of the materials, and all other charges).

What kind of help, assistance, guidance are you going to need, from family, mentors, experts?

The only way that I can create a safe, durable and quality product is if I work with a professional welder. If I can find a welder that has experience with bike frames, or someone who deals with bicycle related metal work, that would be best. I would not only need his skill with the TIG welder and other machines, but his expertise and knowledge of metal to help convert my designs into applicable metalwork.

What will your finished “product” look like, or be? How could you demonstrate it to others?

The finished product will be an ultra strong, super durable and nimble bike frame. I have owned more than three bike frames for the same purpose and they have all been lacking in some way or another. In order to demonstrate the
pros of my innovative design, I can compare it to other frames and point out the problems that have been fixed and the advantages gained. The ultimate demonstration of my success would be an edit of riding clips to show the ability of the bike when faced with difficult/damaging maneuvers and tricks proving its durability and superior riding ability.

What else would you like the committee reviewing grant applications to know about your idea?

MTBMX is a progressive and creative sport that allows the rider to express themselves through their style, and line choice. I enjoy the sport because it allows me to be creative in the ways I ride and gives me a place to vent and get some exercise. The stunts and tricks preformed require a lot of patience, perseverance and bravery to learn and execute. Creating this bike frame has been an idea of mine ever since I began the sport in 2009. I have thought about attempting it on my own, but time and monetary limitations have kept me from doing so. I am confident that I can successfully achieve my goal and am willing to put in the time and effort to get it done successfully.

Here you will find a full documented tour of this project as it progresses. I will be working with Matty from Stout Bikes, who will take care of the huge undertaking of putting my designs into solid metal work. Soon to come: finalized geometry, designs and other ideas.

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 19:53 Quote
Here Is the finalized geo. Still thinking about bb height. +15 mabey?

Geo:
HA: 71.75* (at 450 axel to crown)
SA: 75*
ST: length- 230mm
ST: inner diameter-27.2mm
ST: offset- 15mm from the bb
TT: length-22in
TT: angle-27.5
Head-tube length: 110mm
Chain-stay length: 350mm BB height: 350mm
BB width: 83mm extra thick scalloped Spanish bb
Finish: Raw with wet gloss clear coat

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 19:53 Quote
Here is the BB solution.
Chainstay bb

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 19:54 Quote
Final build should be a lot like this:

some of the plan... details and drawings coming soon. This will be well documented.

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 19:55 Quote
The idea behind this geometry is to have the most maneuverable frame as mechanically allowed. The concept of having the bottom bracket as high as it is long is my solution to creating a very BMX(y) feel. With chain-stays as short as I would like them, the bottom bracket will have to be scalloped and the chain-stays as wide-set as possible. I plan to use the deity 165mm spindle to couple with the 83mm bb and a friend of mine is custom milling me bearing covers/spacers to have it as flush as possible. Chain-line is not an issue as i run a 9speed Atom-lab pimplight rear hub which i can space out very far. I also have designs to increase the head-tube area's strength and fork knob clearance with a large gusset not unlike the ones featured on deity bikes' frame lineup. A few other things I would like to achieve are a straight cut internally machined head-tube (much like the ones on the Tonic Fab Howie) and a downward curving sear stay to chain-stay conjunction.

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 20:00 Quote
Right now ideas in contemplation:

Seat tube: 25.4 ext butted? straight gauge 30mm id? 25.4 id with 27.2 piece welded on top? hole in seat-tube to save weight?

Dropouts? what radius bend do i want at the end of the seattube? long slotted but sexy dropouts are a must.

Headtube? internally machined? or something lipped like most other int headdtubes?

Final bb, bike is not yet into production but im not sure about bb height. I want to be able to use rigid if i really want. But with stays that short...

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 20:15 Quote
What is the reasoning behind the curved seat stay?

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 20:15 Quote
With a BB that high and a front end that steap, Im feeling like it might feel a tad unstable and twitchy. But hey, you never know, could make a lot of sense.

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 20:16 Quote
Yeah, I would drop the BB some.

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 20:25 Quote
What type of tubing? From who?

O+
Posted: May 24, 2012 at 20:37 Quote
Subbed. I want to see the results of this!

J-Carmichael wrote:
What is the reasoning behind the curved seat stay?

stiffness, allows for my dropout idea, uniqueness,aesthetics.

Rattsl wrote:
What type of tubing? From who?

4130 supertherm. 100%

Posted: May 24, 2012 at 20:38 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Yeah, I would drop the BB some.

well, its only +10 now.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012990
Mobile Version of Website