Casstte driver cog problem/advice help needed

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Casstte driver cog problem/advice help needed
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Jun 9, 2012 at 6:08 Quote
Allo
ok,im trying to remove the threaded cog from the driver of my Halo DJD hub (old type) so i can refit one with more teeth
problem is the little fkr is jamed on so tight Ive spread open the flat spanner required to remove the cog.....
it aint coming off

so my query is

are there some cassettes that i can replace this one with? cant get one from Halo/ID
SO would something like profile or Oddessy fit?
its double wide, three pawl type but, im wondering about the width, axle ect ect
any help is appreciated as ever
cheers
Jonathan
photo

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 at 6:17 Quote
Invited somebody who will most likely know.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 at 11:03 Quote
It's just a really stupid design by Halo. I don't know of any replacements either... You can try to safely clamp the base of the driver in a bench vise (without crushing it) and try to break the cog free with a chain whip.

FL
Posted: Jun 9, 2012 at 12:05 Quote
its a pretty generic desighn, just old
i thought of clamping the cog but, its stuck so fast i spread the spanner open so i dont think it'l help any

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 at 15:49 Quote
Odyssey has been found to have a universal fitment . A user posted about this on one of the threads . He even went as far as buying an Ody drive when his went . If you have a mate with a V3 ask if you can fit it to your hub to be sure .They are common among bmx riders

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 at 15:09 Quote
We make a special tool to remove the cog. Send me an email at jordan@ison-distribution.com and I'll see if we can do it in house for you. cheers!

FL
Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 9:00 Quote
just to be sure
i got the old type DJD, not the new bush driver
?

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 12:38 Quote
That's fine. Send me an email and ill see what we can do!

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 12:56 Quote
Just for all those reading this thread:

Did you use any grease on the thread during installation?

I remember a couple of years ago, I screwed on a Cog onto a Ti driver and it got cold welded there and would not come off....

I spoke to one of the representatives of the company and he gave me all these nasty techniques of how to get it off, one of which included, like that dude just said, locking it into a vice, but he recommended hack-sawing through the cog, and when the blade goes through, using some sort of screwdriver to twist and crack it off.

I just gave up in the end.

Threaded cogs seem to be one of the stupidest ideas out there, I reckon.

FL
Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 8:45 Quote
its the cog it came with, if i replace it there will be PLENTY of anti sieze Smile im a pretty competent bike mech i used to mech in a bmx shop an i remember when Proper bikes went from cog an lock ring to this same one piece type cog
but, yea just an awkward desighn

its my own fault cos i hate micro gearing, i could just get a smaller chain ring if i didnt dislike the look so much

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 9:53 Quote
What tooth size up front begins to be classified as Micro?

FL
Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 14:28 Quote
im old school, (just old) anything lower than a 44 Smile

nah, id honestly like to run 32/15 but the modern trend for rear cogs to be 9 - 11 with chain rings in the 20's im just not into it
i got 28 up front at the moment an i realy dont wanna go down to 25

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 at 15:15 Quote
What? You just said you don't like running them in the 20's?

LOL 32/15 is exactly what I'm riding now, but in the form of 34/16, they're both 55 gear inches. It's a brilliant gear; really is. I might try out 36/16, just to see how the top speed is..... But for now 34/16 seems to be doing me fine.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.105453
Mobile Version of Website