Powered by Outside

Bad Mountain Bike Experiences

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Bad Mountain Bike Experiences
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 17:12 Quote
Let me start it off. First off, I bought a used 2007 Foes Fly with boxxer teams on them. Told they just needed a service and I was fine with that. Turns out they were completely destroyed and unfixable. The guy (NickShepherd) told me he would not give me a refund. So, then I buy a new fork for $500 (Marzocchi 66). All is well until I find out both tires are popped as well (thought they were just a flat). Had that fixed. Bottom bracket was also shot and had to have that replaced. Just recently, my front brake (Hayes 9) just doesn't work anymore, as if there is no resistance when I pull the lever. Note, this was my first time actually riding the bike. I'm so frustrated I just want to throw the bike out.

Some Advice: Never EVER buy used bike parts and gear unless you have it checked out before.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 17:19 Quote
That is one danger of buying used parts. Sometimes you don't really know what you'll get, until it arrives at your door. Hopefully most people have enough ethics to not purposely sell a part that is garbage and trashed.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 18:08 Quote
sporadic wrote:
Let me start it off. First off, I bought a used 2007 Foes Fly with boxxer teams on them. Told they just needed a service and I was fine with that. Turns out they were completely destroyed and unfixable. The guy (NickShepherd) told me he would not give me a refund. So, then I buy a new fork for $500 (Marzocchi 66). All is well until I find out both tires are popped as well (thought they were just a flat). Had that fixed. Bottom bracket was also shot and had to have that replaced. Just recently, my front brake (Hayes 9) just doesn't work anymore, as if there is no resistance when I pull the lever. Note, this was my first time actually riding the bike. I'm so frustrated I just want to throw the bike out.

Some Advice: Never EVER buy used bike parts and gear unless you have it checked out before.

Unfortunately this should be common sense to most the world out there.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 19:15 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
That is one danger of buying used parts. Sometimes you don't really know what you'll get, until it arrives at your door. Hopefully most people have enough ethics to not purposely sell a part that is garbage and trashed.

Bought it locally though everything looked and felt fine but hey, I didnt know much about bikes then

FL
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 20:03 Quote
sporadic wrote:
I'm so frustrated I just want to throw the bike out.

Don't do that! lol (I caught the sarcasm). You're pissed off at the douche that sold you something with trashed components, not the bike. Take your time and get er all fixed up. Foes is a great company. Post pictures up of it too!

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 20:51 Quote
you should always expect to spend some money when buying used bikes, my most recent purchase needed/needs a tire, bb, rear rim, headset. and I'm not overly upset because I paid a good price, and new it wasn't going to be perfect. also, if you don't know bikes, always try to bring someone with you when buying used

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 21:12 Quote
trailblitz wrote:
you should always expect to spend some money when buying used bikes, my most recent purchase needed/needs a tire, bb, rear rim, headset. and I'm not overly upset because I paid a good price, and new it wasn't going to be perfect. also, if you don't know bikes, always try to bring someone with you when buying used

Yeah true but I've had to put in close to a grand on stuff he said was working fine. Just frustrating haha

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 at 21:13 Quote
Karpiel073 wrote:
sporadic wrote:
I'm so frustrated I just want to throw the bike out.

Don't do that! lol (I caught the sarcasm). You're pissed off at the douche that sold you something with trashed components, not the bike. Take your time and get er all fixed up. Foes is a great company. Post pictures up of it too!

Lol the bike is amazing. And I will when I get it back from the shop hopefully tomorrow

Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 4:44 Quote
Foes are great bikes im shor you will forget all about the bad things buying off this syt is risk and reward. I had a foes fly brill dh bike one thing to look out for and check on the foes frame is the shock it has a red joint at the rear this is called a ROSE joint if this wears out they can be really hard to find to replace. Allso keep a eye on the main pivit the big one at the bottom it can tend to work loose if this does happen pop some lock tyt in it that sorts it out. Hope these tips help enjoy n fly Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 17:43 Quote
My 2007 Foes Fly
Here she is. Ignore my terrible photography skills its off my iphone lol. I have much work to do many of the bolts are rusted

FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 19:22 Quote
A wire wheel will clean that rust up real quick. Get some black pedals and paint that coil spring black. Murder that B!tch out! tup Nice bike!

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 19:26 Quote
Karpiel073 wrote:
A wire wheel will clean that rust up real quick. Get some black pedals and paint that coil spring black. Murder that B!tch out! tup Nice bike!

Thanks man yeah, I'm thinking about doing that just need some $$ lol

FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 19:28 Quote
sporadic wrote:

Ya don't we all! lol One question, are those Saint cranks?

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 19:30 Quote
Karpiel073 wrote:
sporadic wrote:

Ya don't we all! lol One question, are those Saint cranks?

Yup!

FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2012 at 19:36 Quote
Atleast he didn't leave you with all junk components! Salute

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010230
Mobile Version of Website