Does anyone know what this creaking noise could be?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Does anyone know what this creaking noise could be?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 9:26 Quote
Hi guys, I've recently bought a Nukeproof Scalp brand new after ages of saving and I've ridden it only 4 times/days now since I bought it 2 Friday's (10 Days ago) and I've not crashed once yet...I've only once come up short on a landing/cased it so far but it wasn't a double so it wasn't bad at all and this happened because my foot came off in the air. But anyway, with in my last 2 rides (riding all day and only 1 short evening ride down some tracks) there has been a creaking noise that has been getting louder and louder and I have no idea what it is. It's coming from the swing arm/pivots/rear shock area. The shock is fine and hasn't blown and all the pivots are tight and not lose so I have no idea what it is. I took it into the shop i got it from so they could check something else for me and I also mentioned this creaking noise as well, and they said they would check it for me, I got it back this afternoon and in the notes from the check up they haven't mentioned the creaking noise as they obviously didn't check it as they forgot, so does anyone know what it could be? I don't want to go back to the shop again as I'll look like an idiot just going in again when it's only 4 rides old and yet i haven't any crashes yet.

If anyone has any idea please let me know, I'm hoping it's nothing serious/bad as it's only 4 days old and I'm kind of worrying.

Thanks!

Ben

Here's a picture to show where:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8492653/

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 10:29 Quote
motorcrosser12 wrote:
Hi guys, I've recently bought a Nukeproof Scalp brand new after ages of saving and I've ridden it only 4 times/days now since I bought it 2 Friday's (10 Days ago) and I've not crashed once yet...I've only once come up short on a landing/cased it so far but it wasn't a double so it wasn't bad at all and this happened because my foot came off in the air. But anyway, with in my last 2 rides (riding all day and only 1 short evening ride down some tracks) there has been a creaking noise that has been getting louder and louder and I have no idea what it is. It's coming from the swing arm/pivots/rear shock area. The shock is fine and hasn't blown and all the pivots are tight and not lose so I have no idea what it is. I took it into the shop i got it from so they could check something else for me and I also mentioned this creaking noise as well, and they said they would check it for me, I got it back this afternoon and in the notes from the check up they haven't mentioned the creaking noise as they obviously didn't check it as they forgot, so does anyone know what it could be? I don't want to go back to the shop again as I'll look like an idiot just going in again when it's only 4 rides old and yet i haven't any crashes yet.

If anyone has any idea please let me know, I'm hoping it's nothing serious/bad as it's only 4 days old and I'm kind of worrying.

Thanks! Dont think you should worry at the clue is in the name:-) . Did you show the bike shop the noise ? Does it creak when you bounce on the seat ?

Ben

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 10:38 Quote
superbikes wrote:
motorcrosser12 wrote:

Thanks! Dont think you should worry at the clue is in the name:-) . Did you show the bike shop the noise ? Does it creak when you bounce on the seat ?

Ben

Hey, yeah I told the bike shop but they didn't seem to do anything about it! Yeah when i bounce on the seat and the rear shock compresses that's when I hear the creaking noise, it's not the suspension, sort of sounds like the linkages or something. I don't know if I just need to wear it in as it's nor or what but it's only just started:/

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 10:42 Quote
do you have the brakes on when you bounce on the seat

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 10:58 Quote
I really think you should take it back to the shop they have a duty to you to sort this out for you . You have paid alot for this so dont say nothing to your bike shop and i dont think you should mess with it your self . Your bike shop has to sort this for you and if there is any big problems they can sort it via warranty

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 14:25 Quote
richard01 wrote:
do you have the brakes on when you bounce on the seat

Nope, I've tried it with out the brakes and with..doesn't make a difference unfortunately.

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 14:27 Quote
superbikes wrote:
I really think you should take it back to the shop they have a duty to you to sort this out for you . You have paid alot for this so dont say nothing to your bike shop and i dont think you should mess with it your self . Your bike shop has to sort this for you and if there is any big problems they can sort it via warranty

I think I'll do that, firstly I'm going to take it for a ride tomorrow and see how it is, hopefully nothing bad will happen and nothing will get worse/louder. But I'll phone the bike shop up anyway and explain this to them and see if they know what may be wrong and then if not I'll take it in! :/

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 16:03 Quote
have you tried listening while seated and not seated? could be your seat or post causing the creak. make sure the seat tube is greased and all nuts/bolts are tight.

Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 16:26 Quote
Yeah my seat/post creaks too, I thought it was the shock as well, try having them take the seat/post all apart and clean + grease it like the guy above said, also check your chainring bolts just in case. They make a racket when theyre loose. Cheers

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 at 11:43 Quote
gordanfreman wrote:
have you tried listening while seated and not seated? could be your seat or post causing the creak. make sure the seat tube is greased and all nuts/bolts are tight.

Yeah, have done that! I looked at the bike this morning and it was getting very loud, so I went out up my local downhill tracks for a ride and just before my ride i took the seat post out and then back in... strangely the noise has now almost completely gone! It's still there but no way near as loud, so you may have been right, also the seat post is very high still as i haven't sawn it down yet..so that may be why. Who knows, lets hope it doesn't come back or egt louder! Smile Thanks for replying.

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 at 11:46 Quote
five-10 wrote:
Yeah my seat/post creaks too, I thought it was the shock as well, try having them take the seat/post all apart and clean + grease it like the guy above said, also check your chainring bolts just in case. They make a racket when theyre loose. Cheers

Hi, I think you and the other person above you may have been right, just replied to him explaining. I took the seat post out and then put it back in and tightened it back up and it's almost completely gone now, still there but very quiet. I think i need to saw the seat post down a bit soon, as it's still very long as i haven't sawn it down yet. Thanks for you help and replying Smile Much appreciated.

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 at 12:40 Quote
a little wd 40 or muc off's wet chain lube on the pivot bolt area in the gap should sort it out,....happens to my ride some times i put it down to the linkage parts rubbing slightly against the frame and as it REALLY NEW DAMM YOU !! i should think it just needs to bed in for abit

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 12:14 Quote
motorcrosser12 wrote:

Thanks!

Ben

hi i have had the same thing with mine, just ridden it once so far and just got home to find this creak coming from the linkage area i have tryed all of the above but its still there and pissing me off, any ideas of how to sort it? cheers

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 12:39 Quote
I changed a.spring on me shock n the bushin was a tiny bit out n was creakin like f*ck

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 12:47 Quote
joeyan11 wrote:
I changed a.spring on me shock n the bushin was a tiny bit out n was creakin like f*ck

out? like out of line or something?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011205
Mobile Version of Website