What helmet should i get for dh

PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmet should i get for dh
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 2:35 Quote
bikerkid03 wrote:

+1

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 17:20 Quote
I recommend a Troy Lee Designs D3 Carbon. They are very durable, keep you protected from a crash and they have the coolest designs. Although they are highly priced, they are worth it as long as you keep them maintained. They could last you years in DH for only $450, as opposed to buying a cheap, low priced helmet that will only last you a season, every season.

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 17:29 Quote
BanditPorkins wrote:
I recommend a Troy Lee Designs D3 Carbon. They are very durable, keep you protected from a crash and they have the coolest designs. Although they are highly priced, they are worth it as long as you keep them maintained. They could last you years in DH for only $450, as opposed to buying a cheap, low priced helmet that will only last you a season, every season.

No offence dude, but what? You work at TLD or summat? There's no helmet maintenance to do, just wash the liner, but my £60 THE .5 has a removable liner. The problem with such an expensive helmet is you could crash and write it off on your first ride out. I've had mine 2 years now, replacing it next month for a similarly priced one.

To the poster, id recommend anything from 661, THE, Giro or specialized. Spend as much as your willing to without going OTT, and you'll be fine.

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 17:38 Quote
See i really want the d3 helmet in a large but they r so much over here and it will be 650 for me without tax and thats nuts i think so just let me know any good info on the d3 thanks

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 17:42 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
BanditPorkins wrote:

No offence dude, but what? You work at TLD or summat? There's no helmet maintenance to do, just wash the liner, but my £60 THE .5 has a removable liner. The problem with such an expensive helmet is you could crash and write it off on your first ride out. I've had mine 2 years now, replacing it next month for a similarly priced one.

To the poster, id recommend anything from 661, THE, Giro or specialized. Spend as much as your willing to without going OTT, and you'll be fine.

No, I'm only 15, and have had good experiences with them. I am just sharing my experiences and opinions that I've had. It would kind of suck if you crashed and wrecked a $450 TLD, but the main point would be that it protected you from the crash. I'm just sharing my opinion so...

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 19:08 Quote
i understand that, but it wont protect you any better than a cheaper model, they all pass the same tests.

D3s are nice, everyones dream lid, but unless your racing at a high level or have cash to burn, theres no point. this is coming from someone whos spent over £10,000 this last 18months on bikes, and i wont spend more than £100 on a lid, ever. the main thing to go for, is fit. your gonna have to find a shop with a few different models and try them on. me, i cant use fox or 661 helmets, my heads too big and round for them lol. as your having to ask, im guessing your new to DH, so get a cheap one, you will wreck it Smile if your really set on a TLD, look for a D2 composite in sales, probably find one around the $250 mark, which is a better option.

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 19:52 Quote
i understand that, but it wont protect you any better than a cheaper model, they all pass the same tests.

D3s are nice, everyones dream lid, but unless your racing at a high level or have cash to burn, theres no point. this is coming from someone whos spent over £10,000 this last 18months on bikes, and i wont spend more than £100 on a lid, ever. the main thing to go for, is fit. your gonna have to find a shop with a few different models and try them on. me, i cant use fox or 661 helmets, my heads too big and round for them lol. as your having to ask, im guessing your new to DH, so get a cheap one, you will wreck it Smile if your really set on a TLD, look for a D2 composite in sales, probably find one around the $250 mark, which is a better option.

I've actually been racing DH since I was 12. The biggest reason I like the TLD is because I've never experienced a really big crash to the head, so I have kept my same D3 for years due to little damage on the helmet. I've had the Zap 2010 model since 2010, thus making the $450 worth it to me within a 3 year period. I've had 661's, T.H.E's and what not. My head tends to fit all, but I guess Troy Lee Designs is my preference. That's why I am recommending it. But yes, helmets are all about fit, preference, etc.

Posted: Dec 28, 2012 at 23:44 Quote
Ya like i am just wondering if i do get a d3 carbon is that a stupid idea for a person who has never ridden dh before idk like what should i do i am really set on the d3 carbon

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 1:49 Quote
[Quote="BanditPorkins"][Quote="inked-up-metalhead"]
BanditPorkins wrote:
No, I'm only 15, and have had good experiences with them. I am just sharing my experiences and opinions that I've had. It would kind of suck if you crashed and wrecked a $450 TLD, but the main point would be that it protected you from the crash. I'm just sharing my opinion so...

So what your basically saying is then, being only 15, you have the luxury of having the most expensive helmet out there coz mammy and daddy will pay for it. Reasons you gave for buying a troy Lee over a cheaper lid, such as 661 or the were dumb. No maintenance is required only washing of the lining and most lids have removable linings.

Just buy the best certified helmet u can within your budget. Only advice I can give is try it on first!! No point splashing out on a troy Lee if it doesn't fit your head or isn't comfy!

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 3:21 Quote
bikerkid03 wrote:
Ya like i am just wondering if i do get a d3 carbon is that a stupid idea for a person who has never ridden dh before idk like what should i do i am really set on the d3 carbon
Get a D3 if you want, its your money your wasting if you do, just don't ask for advice on here then ignore it, you'll annoy a lot of people doing that

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 8:47 Quote
[Quote="aj1987"][Quote="BanditPorkins"]

So what your basically saying is then, being only 15, you have the luxury of having the most expensive helmet out there coz mammy and daddy will pay for it. Reasons you gave for buying a troy Lee over a cheaper lid, such as 661 or the were dumb. No maintenance is required only washing of the lining and most lids have removable linings.

Just buy the best certified helmet u can within your budget. Only advice I can give is try it on first!! No point splashing out on a troy Lee if it doesn't fit your head or isn't comfy!

Like I said before, I've had my TLD D3 for almost 3 years. It doesn't mean I'm spoiled for buying a Troy Lee Designs D3. I'm just sharing my opinions about the D3 and saying that I (doesn't mean you have to) believe that the $450 is worth it for what it gives you. Yes, not all helmets fit, but someone may like a D3 and want it and I am sharing my impressions on it. I'm not trying to impress or persuade you at all. I just thought I'd share my opinions about the helmet that I LIKE for help.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 9:24 Quote
BanditPorkins wrote:

x2

450$.. for.. my point is TLD : waaaaay to overpriced, srs.

4 years with my 100$ 661 now... like new except some scratch!

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 9:26 Quote
Had a D3 for close to a year, crashed hard on it about three weeks back and now it's toast... Cry

It's a very nice, luxurious helmet but at the end of the day it's a consumable piece of protective gear. If you are comfortable spending £350/$450+ every time you hit your head then go for it!

I'll be sticking with fully certified mid range helmets unless I feel particularly flush when coming to replace a lid.

I'm going to be rocking a Fox Rampage this year. It's not as comfy as the D3 it replaced but I won't be so annoyed at throwing it away after a crash.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 9:45 Quote
BanditPorkins wrote:
I've had the Zap 2010 model since 2010, thus making the $450 worth it to me within a 3 year period.

Calling you out on this, the Zap yellow D3 that you're sporting in your pictures is a 2012 model, earliest you could have had it is late 2011.

When you don't pay for your own stuff it's hard to accept your perceptions of value for money.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013827
Mobile Version of Website