Powered by Outside

Whats the worst that could happen?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Whats the worst that could happen?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 at 16:52 Quote
Does anyone know how risky it is to build trails in woods in the UK? what would happen if you got caught?

Thanks.

Posted: Jan 18, 2013 at 12:13 Quote
A firm slap on the wrist

Posted: Jan 18, 2013 at 14:28 Quote
Only one way to find out..

Posted: Jan 18, 2013 at 15:01 Quote
As long as you build them away from the fire roads and out of sight you shouldn't have problems. It's when you start to build jumps, ladders etc you start to have problems as the forestry service see it then as an insurance risk.

There is NO law saying we CAN'T ride a bike through a Forrest, just remember that if someone gives you hastle.....

Neil.

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 at 5:43 Quote
I believe you can get done for trespass if you are building trails, as you are interfering with the property. Riding is fine* however.
Try not to get caught building, and avoid well-maintained woods that obviously have a warden looking after them (felled logs, paint spots on trees etc are a good indicator).

*When I say fine, it's still technically trespass in [edit: England] unless there is a sign explicitly permitting cycling. They can't actually do anything about it however unless you are stupid enough to:
A: Really really annoy the landowner
B: Tell them your name

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 at 11:55 Quote
mistercrabb wrote:
I believe you can get done for trespass if you are building trails, as you are interfering with the property. Riding is fine* however.
Try not to get caught building, and avoid well-maintained woods that obviously have a warden looking after them (felled logs, paint spots on trees etc are a good indicator).

*When I say fine, it's still technically trespass in the UK unless there is a sign explicitly permitting cycling. They can't actually do anything about it however unless you are stupid enough to:
A: Really really annoy the landowner
B: Tell them your name

Thanks, Yeah the land is definitely not maintained, theres fallen logs and stuff like that which i thought made it perfect for a north shore trail, it is off to the side of a lane and theres no fences so i guess i should just go for it Confused

Posted: Jan 30, 2013 at 3:33 Quote
Build away from fire roads , don't leave huge pits every where , this is a sure fire way of losing your trails , don't cut down trees , don't leave littler , do not build big northshore style stuff, do not cross any walkers paths and you should be fine !

Posted: Jan 31, 2013 at 0:06 Quote
bigquotes*When I say fine, it's still technically trespass in the UK unless there is a sign explicitly permitting cycling.
That's not quite the case. In Scotland we have the right to cycle, horseride or walk pretty much where ever as long as it is not in this list, which means if there just so happens to be a trail through a forest we can ride it, legally.

Posted: Jan 31, 2013 at 4:49 Quote
bobochobo wrote:
bigquotes*When I say fine, it's still technically trespass in the UK unless there is a sign explicitly permitting cycling.
That's not quite the case. In Scotland we have the right to cycle, horseride or walk pretty much where ever as long as it is not in this list, which means if there just so happens to be a trail through a forest we can ride it, legally.

Sorry, meant to say England, not the UK!
Yeah you have the right to roam or whatever it is in Scotland, forgot about that :L

Even in England you won't normally get done for trespass unless you're causing damage of some sort.

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 at 5:58 Quote
^ Thanks. Ok so i found out the woods are owned by a local construction company after i hiked along the full perimeter, there was a small sign that said it was a public right of way, but no motorised vehicles and no fires. Should i take that as an ok to dig, or should i ask and risk them saying no? Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and all that.

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 at 7:04 Quote
I'd be careful, I'm pretty sure a right of way in England means the path that's been constructed. It's always best to ask, you can always give a fake name etc. If it's a construction company they could be building there themselves or cutting down trees.

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 at 7:54 Quote
Yeah, I've found out the whole woods was an old coal pit dump or something, theres a few of them around here all owned by the same company for decades, so i dont think they're gona build on them. Theyre not cutting down trees because there are huge fallen ones that are just left to rot.

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 at 9:10 Quote
Definitely don't ask for permission, you won't get it and they will know who you are then. The fact that it's a construction company is good, they probably don't look after the land at all and will be just holding it for it's value as a fixed asset.

Absolutely build there, but as I said: leave for a day or so if you get confronted by anyone in case they call the police.

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 at 9:52 Quote
^ Exactly what i was thinking, cant think of any other reason they'd want the land.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016945
Mobile Version of Website