Official Ghetto Parts Thread

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Official Ghetto Parts Thread
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:13 Quote
Been looking through the forum and cant seem to find anything on this so i thought i would start a thread up for it tup

Post all your ghetto/bodged/sketchy/makeshift parts that you have done to save cash.

Rules:

1, No reposts
2, Don't criticize ghetto mods, some of us dont have jobs
3, No ghetto tubeless stuff, there is a thread for that.
4, The sketchier, the better.

That's pretty much it guys, get posting!

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
When i was younger i used to fix punctures with sellotape. Worked for a short while if you wrapped it it well enough.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
Post up about who's mod and who's ban in case that needs to be edited later.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:22 Quote
I cant get a pic of it, but I have a set of MZ Drop off triples on my '02 stinky that I aquired for a fiver. they were missing a compression washer and bounced and topped out like nothing else. I stripped them down, cleaned them, filed down a large copper disc (which took 6 hours over 2 days!) to make a new washer and filled them with some 20W 50 car engine oil. They now feel fantastic and not like a randy pogo stick.
That service cost me £4.99 and a year and a half on and their still sweet.

Pinske.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:22 Quote
Turning a lower end Shimano brake, into a higher end Shimano brake. The Zent mod.

http://www.huckingkitty.com/node/9

Magura Smile

Shimano Zent modded brake lever.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:23 Quote
I had an old boxxer drop crown that dented my previous frame due to having the screws in a dumb place, couldn't find a flat one, so I mounted it over the stem:

photo

It clamped fine, it wasn't all the way in on that pic, rode it for like 2 years like that.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:24 Quote
I'll post quite a bit of stuff at the weekend.

Subbed for now!

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:24 Quote
My pedal got ripped off of the axle half way round a ride so had to lash it up with some chord, luckily the rest of the trail was 90% downhill.

photo

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:29 Quote
Sadly I have no picture of this but last year I was racing and caught my left toe on a rock and the force that this put though the drivetrain exploded the 12t sprocket i was in at the time. In order to continue riding until i could get a warranty replacement off CRC (as the cassette was like a week old) i ended up hacksawing a carbon fibre headset spacer into sixths and filing each bit down unitl it was the size of a cog and then zip-tieing them around my freehub to act as a spacer.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:30 Quote
For about 6 months I ran a grip flange as a crank spacer
This seat is some comfy shit.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:34 Quote
I love ghettoing parts,

Home made detachable bike rack.

Ghetto bike rack attachment , up to 5 bikes

photo

Ghetto wheel trueing stand, does all sizes, QR,150x12,20mm,29er,bmx wheels ect

home made chain-guide roller. stops horrible noise while you pedal

Ghetto chain guide jockey wheel

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:56 Quote
Going to file my chain guide soon... Subbed

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 15:58 Quote
ghetto rigged up my bars - extended them from 670 --> 750 for am/xc riding, using tent poles and ductape, fortified with the power of lock on grips, will post pics soon. it works super well.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 16:06 Quote
Needed a headset spacer but didn't have one so:

Temporary headset spacer...

And yes, it hurt Razz

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018846
Mobile Version of Website