Powered by Outside

Profile hub driver seizing when I tighten the axle bolts

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Profile hub driver seizing when I tighten the axle bolts
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 14:32 Quote
Right guys, I have a problem, i have a profile rear hub (limited edition tiger striped one) and have just today got a new profile driver for it and put it in. I then (as you do) continued to tighten the female bolts, and when they were tight, i spun the wheel and all the cranks span as well. I dont know why this is happening, as its basically acting as a fixie now and i dont know why. As soon as i loosen the bolt on the driver side, the cassette spins freely as it should do and the wheel spins when i spin it. I cant be tightening it too tight as you need it tight so it doesnt slip, but it shouldnt be acting like a fixed gear either should it? Am i doing something wrong? have I got a non-compatible part on it? Please can someone help me Frown

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:20 Quote
- Upload a video for laughs
- Throw it in the bin and get a decent hub

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:24 Quote
wow, who asked for the c*nt brigade to turn up?

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:27 Quote
custompremium313 wrote:
wow, who asked for the c*nt brigade to turn up?

now, now, language! Sounds like you are missing the washer that sits behind the driver.

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:29 Quote
There has never been a washer that sits behind the driver on a female profile hub....only the cone spacer that goes on on the outside of the driver, but i figured out what the problem was now, so it doesn't matter

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:33 Quote
custompremium313 wrote:
There has never been a washer that sits behind the driver on a female profile hub....only the cone spacer that goes on on the outside of the driver, but i figured out what the problem was now, so it doesn't matter

Pretty sure that 9/10 of rear hubs out always have washers that sit behind the driver... Unless they are built into the axle, which i highly doubt profile will. Id put one in there to be safe, probably the reason you needed a new driver in the first place.

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:38 Quote
ive never seen any other hub ive taken apart to have a washer that sits between the shell bearings and driver? or am i just getting a wrong idea of the place that you mean? When you say behind the driver, you mean so it sits down below in the ratchet ring?

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:48 Quote
custompremium313 wrote:
ive never seen any other hub ive taken apart to have a washer that sits between the shell bearings and driver? or am i just getting a wrong idea of the place that you mean? When you say behind the driver, you mean so it sits down below in the ratchet ring?

Every cassette hub ive ever had has had a little 1mm thickness washer that slides on before you put the driver on, minus my coaster. So the back side (The face of the driver that goes in first) doesn't chafe against the hubshell bearing behind it or any part of the hubshell
And ive had, 1 stock hub, 2 odyssey v2 hubs, 1 odyssey v3 hub, 1 profile mini, 1 salt plus and 1 proper k7.

One of my odyssey drivers ripped the shit out of a hubshell bearing because there was no washer.

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:49 Quote
Oh right, well ive never seen one of these washers on the hubs ive had, and this hub didn't come with one either:L might have to try and get one of those too then!

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:53 Quote
Just do it man, saves a lot of hassle. Drivers are soooo expensive to just replace willy nilly. Primo do a spacer that would probably fit.

Here.

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 15:55 Quote
yeah, think i will! thanks!

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 21:24 Quote
You need a profile driver shim between the drivers hub body bearings and your drivers bearings and then you'll be all set. Hope this helps

Posted: Feb 13, 2013 at 0:00 Quote
Yeah, I've ordered a primo one, do you think that would work with it too? Seen as though all it is, is a little washer?

Posted: Feb 18, 2013 at 17:16 Quote
It doesn't matter what brand it is... It's only a washer, I know profile are a little picky when it comes to sizes but if the hole is too small, drill it out. The profile one probably costs £20 or something stupid and then you have to pay for it to be shipped to the uk, and custom charges... You might aswell buy a new hub.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009040
Mobile Version of Website