Plush and Durable DH Bike, Suggestions?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Plush and Durable DH Bike, Suggestions?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 21:46 Quote
Finally come back to this sport after 3 years of absent, the first thing I will need is a new bike. But then I find my memory about manufactures and bikes is a little bit out of the date, and that give me a hard time come up with a list.

Anyway, the type of bike I want is: fast (means fun for me), slack, plush and eat rock gardens for breakfast. I don't mind if you can't flick it in the air, and anything weight less than 20kg, or 44lb would be acceptable (that's how heavy my old bike is). For pedalling, I won't ask too much. Stable at high speed and while braking? Oh yeah I do like that.

I am also expecting my bike to be durable. Although every bike eventually break, some survive longer than other, and those are what I like.

Have test ride a friend's new SC V10 a couple days ago, that beast feels amazing! Very smooth, very plush, and unbelievably fast. And it isn't that hard to change line. So it will be very high on my list. Intense M9 also looks nice, not sure how often I will use all the adjustabilities though. Or probably Zerode G2? What else should I take a look at?

Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 22:01 Quote
Forget to ask, how suitable is carbon for rocky area? Comparing to my friend who own that V10 I am much less skillful and crash very often. Would aluminum be a better choice for me? Or the thin wall aluminum frames are worse than those thick wall carbon frame?

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 16:13 Quote
I recommend the turner DHR. I got one this year and it eats up everything I can throw at it. Plus really easy to handle on the ground and air.

Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 16:40 Quote
specialized status 2 all the way

Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 16:47 Quote
I have loads of friends with Nukeproof Scalps, they're pretty indestructible and they dont break the bank

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 21:27 Quote
The V10 and the M9 use exactly the same virtual pivot suspension system. The Devinci Wilson will use a very similar system and also comes in both aluminum or carbon fiber. The only difference is that it uses a split pivot design to keep your suspension active when braking during those "holy shit" moments, which might come in handy depending how rusty you are. They also have a life-time warranty, so if you wanted to go carbon at least you know if it does happen to break, that you are covered. I don't think any brands are offering that on their full suspension bikes let alone carbon bikes. Must be durable. Below is the carbon version.
photo
carbon devinci wilson

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 22:18 Quote
they offer a lifetime warranty? thats dope

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 22:22 Quote
andrewwieland13 wrote:
they offer a lifetime warranty? thats dope

Check it out.
http://www.devinci.com/registration/index3.html

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 22:40 Quote
yeah but look at what the warranty does not cover

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 23:01 Quote
andrewwieland13 wrote:
yeah but look at what the warranty does not cover

Is there anything there that you would expect them to cover?

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 23:30 Quote
no but thats the point lol... they dont cover "damages caused by material fatigue"

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 23:38 Quote
andrewwieland13 wrote:
no but thats the point lol... they dont cover "damages caused by material fatigue"

Haha, so in the fine print they basically have absolutely no warranty? That could apply to any frame material.

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 at 23:45 Quote
yeah thats what im saying! its kind of a scam

Posted: Mar 30, 2013 at 6:09 Quote
ohklee wrote:
The V10 and the M9 use exactly the same virtual pivot suspension system. The Devinci Wilson will use a very similar system and also comes in both aluminum or carbon fiber. The only difference is that it uses a split pivot design to keep your suspension active when braking during those "holy shit" moments, which might come in handy depending how rusty you are. They also have a life-time warranty, so if you wanted to go carbon at least you know if it does happen to break, that you are covered. I don't think any brands are offering that on their full suspension bikes let alone carbon bikes. Must be durable. Below is the carbon version.
photo
carbon devinci wilson

That thing looks sexy... Any on-saddle experience? How it ride? What about maintenance?

Posted: Mar 30, 2013 at 12:46 Quote
The Santa Cruz V10c has a 5 year warranty, I was sceptical but it's a very simple one.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/warranty/

No small print about material fatigue.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015061
Mobile Version of Website