Best £400-500 hardtail FRAME?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best £400-500 hardtail FRAME?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2013 at 15:23 Quote
Basically I'm looking for an aggressive lightweight hardtail frame for under or around £450. I've been looking at the Stanton Slackline and love it but obviously there are many out there also in this price range like maybe a Ragley or Santa Cruz Chameleon? Thanks in advance

Oh and things I'd like it to be/have are
26" or might consider 650B maybe?
Would like a lower frame like maybe 16"?
And chain guide tabs

Again, thank you

Posted: Jun 22, 2013 at 19:38 Quote
Try looking at a On-One 456 frame, it is fairly cheap and very durable. The chromoly steel "evo" frame is $257.00, and the carbon version is a little over your budget at $514.00. But hey... It's CARBON! Carbon=light!

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 2:11 Quote
Mr88high wrote:
Try looking at a On-One 456 frame, it is fairly cheap and very durable. The chromoly steel "evo" frame is $257.00, and the carbon version is a little over your budget at $514.00. But hey... It's CARBON! Carbon=light!

I have also looked at the carbon ones but it doesn't have a great review on bike radar (which id want for that much money haha) plus I had a friend who had one who sold it because he wasn't over the moon with it but it was dead light built up!

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 2:34 Quote
I've got a 456c, I'd recommend it for what you want, aggressive HT style. It's light, stiff and strong. I've ridden it to the point the wheels gave up and epicly buckled, frame is still totally fine, if that is what you're looking for. I'd have it

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 4:25 Quote
JMcP92 wrote:
I've got a 456c, I'd recommend it for what you want, aggressive HT style. It's light, stiff and strong. I've ridden it to the point the wheels gave up and epicly buckled, frame is still totally fine, if that is what you're looking for. I'd have it

Might have to reconsider then. My friend really didn't get along with it but that 1kg difference to the Stanton is very appealing I must admit

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 9:29 Quote
But then would you say the stanton and on one are worth it compared to a ragley blue pig? And would you count out the santa cruz?

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 19:18 Quote
Cove Stiffee all the way

Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 19:41 Quote
I'd certainly consider the Santa Cruz, as well as the Cove, Stiffee or Handjob (worth buying just to tell people you have a handjob every day?) also maybe Cotic?

Wouldn't go Ragley, personal opinion but wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

Posted: Jun 24, 2013 at 4:05 Quote
JMcP92 wrote:
I'd certainly consider the Santa Cruz, as well as the Cove, Stiffee or Handjob (worth buying just to tell people you have a handjob every day?) also maybe Cotic?

Wouldn't go Ragley, personal opinion but wouldn't touch them with a barge pole

Haha that is a tempting factor Razz And is that ragley comment coming from experience?

Posted: Jun 24, 2013 at 5:41 Quote
Dartmoor Hornet. Mines fitted with a 160mm fork and it's amazing. Think in UK the frame is 300 quid. It's a steal.

Posted: Jun 24, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
Dartmoor Hornet. Mines fitted with a 160mm fork and it's amazing. Think in UK the frame is 300 quid. It's a steal.

Haha to many to choose! Does look like a contender though

Posted: Jun 25, 2013 at 7:15 Quote
The Ragley opinion is mainly on just a general dislike of the brand, can't give you a reason why, just a personal opinion, never really liked them.

As for making an overall decision, it really determines on what you want, without a little research I can't tell you the "design aim" of each bike, all I can say is the On One is designed as a heavy-hitting hardtail AM bike. You can ride it XC very easily, but throw it down a big ass hill and the geometry and a decent fork will handle it totally fine.
Of course, this depends on your build, I run XC rims on it so I'd be worried of doing full on AM on it, but depends on what use you want from it, and that applies to all the bikes above.
Look into what they're designed towards, and to what exactly you want to do with it, then make your call from there.

Posted: Jun 25, 2013 at 8:37 Quote
JMcP92 wrote:
The Ragley opinion is mainly on just a general dislike of the brand, can't give you a reason why, just a personal opinion, never really liked them.

As for making an overall decision, it really determines on what you want, without a little research I can't tell you the "design aim" of each bike, all I can say is the On One is designed as a heavy-hitting hardtail AM bike. You can ride it XC very easily, but throw it down a big ass hill and the geometry and a decent fork will handle it totally fine.
Of course, this depends on your build, I run XC rims on it so I'd be worried of doing full on AM on it, but depends on what use you want from it, and that applies to all the bikes above.
Look into what they're designed towards, and to what exactly you want to do with it, then make your call from there.

Well I'm thinking capable of hitting freeride stuff but still not a slouch on the trails and am actually struggling to justify paying a 450 when this Dartmoor which looks idea is only £190! It has great reviews and everything but there must be a drawback somewhere?

Posted: Jun 25, 2013 at 9:36 Quote
Michael-Cooke wrote:
JMcP92 wrote:

Well I'm thinking capable of hitting freeride stuff but still not a slouch on the trails and am actually struggling to justify paying a 450 when this Dartmoor which looks idea is only £190! It has great reviews and everything but there must be a drawback somewhere?

I haven't found a drawback to mine yet. I also own a Slash9 and that gets left at home more than the Dartmoor. I use it for 45km xc rides and steep DH trails. I also got Dartmoor wheels built up too and they have been great.

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011181
Mobile Version of Website