Powered by Outside

Anyone ride both MTB and BMX? How is it switching between them?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Anyone ride both MTB and BMX? How is it switching between them?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 21:49 Quote
Does anyone ride both mountain bike and BMX? How is it switching back and forth between the two?

I don't know if I should just choose one or go for both. It takes me like three days to get used to the bike.

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 22:00 Quote
Yeah i ride both...
MTB for DJ
BMX for street and park..

i find switching is pretty easy
but sometimes after riding bmx i get a sore back and sore wrists from being used to the height and suspension of a MTB

as for which one..
depends what you ride... and how comfortable you feel on each bike

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 22:18 Quote
MTBDirt3 wrote:
Yeah i ride both...
MTB for DJ

but sometimes after riding bmx i get a sore back and sore wrists from being used to the height and suspension of a MTB

as for which one..

I can become equaly comfortable on each bike with time. I just don't know wether to ride both or just one. I guess its a personal thing.

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 22:23 Quote
well the bmx feels like its always there teh mtb feels realy light spread out and slow
teyh small wheels give the bmx faster steering and better acceleraation the mtb rolls over stuff easier and it takes a while to switch from my bmx to my hardtail

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 22:29 Quote
SavageMountainAnimal wrote:
MTBDirt3 wrote:
Yeah i ride both...
MTB for DJ

as for which one..

I can become equaly comfortable on each bike with time. I just don't know wether to ride both or just one. I guess its a personal thing.

yeh its personal... i reckon both... what happens if one breaks down.. you still have your skills on the other one... where as if you didnt would take a while to get used to and get confidence, skill etc. back up to the standard it was at

Mod
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 22:37 Quote
If you keep riding both, I find it is instant switch over. If I don't pick up my BMX for 2 or 3 months, than it takes a couple days to switch back. Mountain bike always feels natural though, even after months of only riding the bmx.

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 22:39 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:
If you keep riding both, I find it is instant switch over. If I don't pick up my BMX for 2 or 3 months, than it takes a couple days to switch back. Mountain bike always feels natural though, even after months of only riding the bmx.

that has pretty much summed it up..
well said Wink

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 22:47 Quote
Theres a small adjustment period for me no matter what.....just need a few small airs on either bike then usually i am good to go

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 0:38 Quote
i say switch to one and you can then afford any parts you like instead of saving ages for both mtb and bmx parts..tup

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 11:14 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:

How long have you been riding both?

A bunnie hop on my mountain bike seems almost imposible after riding a BMX bike with short cs.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 11:15 Quote
i sometimes feel im gonna faceplant when i bunnyhop a bmx after riding downhill for a long time.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 11:19 Quote
yer i ride both.i ride bmx alot now got back on mtb the other day for a quarry ride and it was weird with the big wheels and the angle of the surspension but thats it

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 12:45 Quote
I only ride mtb but at the local DJs while we were building a new jump, I tried out this guy's 1400 dollar bmx and at first it felt a lot heavier because of the rigid fork and when I was riding it I felt hunched over and was always looking down and found it hard to look straight ahead but then after 30 minutes it felt pretty damn nice once I got over that problem. It was weird riding brakeless though but I figured it out and then once I got back on my MTB (which was a Norco Wolverine 07) it felt weird too cause I got used to it but I prefer suspension, even though his bike was like 25 or 24 pounds it felt heavier than mine which was probably 31 or 32 (the stock large is 34 but mine is single speed and the medium frame). although i liked a 24" cruiser which my friend has.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
Well I ride XC and DJ MTB, its not so bad switching between the two of those, but when I ride my bmx, it can make my back really hurt for a bit, but that doesn't mean I struggle to ride well. Just make sure you always mix and you'll be ok.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
a bmx is a blast to ride every once in awhile but i still find i enjoy riding my hardtail more, even at the park

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008337
Mobile Version of Website