Powered by Outside

Am I making a mistake?

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 20:11 Quote
I am officially done wrestling in college and I am looking for that next thrill. I haven't rode bikes since the BMX days in middle school but I want to get into an all-mountain bike. I wrestled heavyweight and I am 6'1 300LBS right now. I have been actively shopping for bikes and I am very interested in a Santa Cruz Bronson (still deciding on aluminum or carbon). I want to hit some hills for a thrill but I don't have very much riding experience. I like to buy stuff once and do it right. I have some great beginner and advanced trails in the Portland area and others not more than a few hours away. So the big question is.. Am I making a mistake jumping into a $3,500 full suspension bike from the start?

FL
Posted: Jul 26, 2014 at 23:45 Quote
In my opinion your doing it right. Most entry level riders will drop $1,000 on a hard tail, realize they love riding then buy a full suspension. You'll love the Bronson.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 0:31 Quote
Rlvinas wrote:
In my opinion your doing it right. Most entry level riders will drop $1,000 on a hard tail, realize they love riding then buy a full suspension. You'll love the Bronson.

I second this, a lot of people spend $1000 bucks initially then drop $4000 6 months later.
You may aswell just spend the $3500-4000 at the start and save yourself some money.

You definitely won't regret a Bronson, and on the off chance you don't dig it, which is highly unlikely, if you look after your bike it will still have a very good re-sale dollar

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 3:03 Quote
From my own personal experience, you will learn to ride much better and less lazily if you go HT first, and then get a Full sus. You'll develop less bad habits.

That's not to say you can't develop the right habits if you go full sus straight away, but the HT will punish you harder for them Razz

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 4:56 Quote
I have ridden a Bronson, and I was amazed with it, made me kinda regret what I bought haha.

And imo don't bother getting a hard tail first, just get out there, decide if you like it, then do a skills clinic or something and that will save you time and money. If you don't like it, you WILL be able to sell it for +- 150 of what you paid for it, nothing to lose.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 7:03 Quote
You are not wrong at all, you are lucky indeed.
only few are willing to drop 3500 for their first bike.

however, if I were you, better to find the riding style that suits you (if its possible). Its kinda annoying if you already buy a good AM bike just to find out that your passion are for FR or DH or even XC.

Btw, bronson its one of a good do it all bike.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 7:55 Quote
BiggieBiker wrote:
I am officially done wrestling in college and I am looking for that next thrill. I haven't rode bikes since the BMX days in middle school but I want to get into an all-mountain bike. I wrestled heavyweight and I am 6'1 300LBS right now. I have been actively shopping for bikes and I am very interested in a Santa Cruz Bronson (still deciding on aluminum or carbon). I want to hit some hills for a thrill but I don't have very much riding experience. I like to buy stuff once and do it right. I have some great beginner and advanced trails in the Portland area and others not more than a few hours away. So the big question is.. Am I making a mistake jumping into a $3,500 full suspension bike from the start?

No! I had to do the same choice last year : I choose the Bronson and I don't regret it! This bike really inspire confidence on technical descent and it's a good all around bike.

Carbon or Al? It's more a question of how much you want to spend, but don't overlook components like seat post (Rockshox Reverb Stealth), derailleur (SRAM 1x11), bar width...

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 9:54 Quote
Awesome responses guys.. Some great information coming in. I think I'm going to head out to hood river and rent a bronson out there to test before I really hit that jumping off point. Up to now I've only rode the bronson out of the shop on the roads. My riding rental will go into my bike purchase so that's a plus.

Thanks for all the info.. Making my choice a lot easier.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 20:03 Quote
BiggieBiker wrote:
Awesome responses guys.. Some great information coming in. I think I'm going to head out to hood river and rent a bronson out there to test before I really hit that jumping off point. Up to now I've only rode the bronson out of the shop on the roads. My riding rental will go into my bike purchase so that's a plus.

Just so you know, Santa cruzs carbon frames are lighter and stronger(not just higher strength to weight, stronger period) so would stand up better to a heavy guy beating on it

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 20:03 Quote
Deleted double post

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 21:10 Quote
Hey OP, have you decided which colour you're going to get?

If you get the all green one you should post up some pics, I've never seen one before. You know what, why don't you post some pics anyways Smile

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 18:29 Quote
dclinton wrote:
Hey OP, have you decided which colour you're going to get?

If you get the all green one you should post up some pics, I've never seen one before. You know what, why don't you post some pics anyways Smile

Not yet but I'm debating on that currently lol.. Will do!

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 18:30 Quote
Dylan098 wrote:
BiggieBiker wrote:

Just so you know, Santa cruzs carbon frames are lighter and stronger(not just higher strength to weight, stronger period) so would stand up better to a heavy guy beating on it

Thanks for the heads up.. I've been hesitant on going carbon but I'm heavily considering it

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 18:36 Quote
BiggieBiker wrote:
Dylan098 wrote:
BiggieBiker wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.. I've been hesitant on going carbon but I'm heavily considering it
Carbon is stronger than Alloy. Have you seen Santa Cruz test their frames? The alloy ones always break way before the carbon version, in the last bit of the vid (I'll try find it) They take a carbon front triangle and bash it against a concrete wall, everyone has a go and they can't hurt it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 19:06 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
BiggieBiker wrote:
Dylan098 wrote:

Carbon is stronger than Alloy. Have you seen Santa Cruz test their frames? The alloy ones always break way before the carbon version, in the last bit of the vid (I'll try find it) They take a carbon front triangle and bash it against a concrete wall, everyone has a go and they can't hurt it.

I saw that video and it was impressive. I've just heard some comments in threads that made it seem like it wasn't as strong as suggested. I called a guy at my local shop and he said the frames have even gotten stronger since that last video.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010438
Mobile Version of Website