Powered by Outside

tools to build up my bike

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
tools to build up my bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 14:38 Quote
im building up a new bike. what tools will i need to build up the whole thing?

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
Well there are some tools which you would only need to use once which would be better to get your LBS to install...like the race crown and starnut for your fork,a headset installing tool (too expensive to buy for installing 1 headset)You might need to cut the steer tube too. Buy yourself a set of allen keys,bb tool,wrenches,chain breaker,crank puller,tire levers etc. which you can keep with you for riding also.

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 19:30 Quote
U don't need a crank puller to put a bike together, just to take it apart.

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
can i get a list of tools i will need to get. cus im probalby heading to my lbs tomarrow

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 19:57 Quote
flybry wrote:
Well there are some tools which you would only need to use once which would be better to get your LBS to install...like the race crown and starnut for your fork,a headset installing tool (too expensive to buy for installing 1 headset)You might need to cut the steer tube too. Buy yourself a set of allen keys,bb tool,wrenches,chain breaker,crank puller,tire levers etc. which you can keep with you for riding also.

he just gave you a list..crank puller you dont need but its good to have anyway and its not expensive

Posted: Jan 19, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
Park Tools they come in sets thats what you sould get they have all type of tools you sould be able to get them at your local bike shop.

Posted: Jan 19, 2008 at 10:53 Quote
a real top quality pair of pliers

FL
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
A torque wrench, very handy.

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
-Full Set of Wrenches.
-Ratchet and Sockets
-Full Set of Cone wrenches
-Hammer
-Rubber Hammer
-All the different sizes/types of srew drivers
-Allen Keys
-Wire Cutter/Strippers
-Pliers
-Pump
-tire lvers
-spoke wrench
-BB tool
-Casstte or frewheel tool
-Hands
-Patience
-Good Working area
-Positve Attitude
-Good Book on Bicycle maintence/reapir

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 17:46 Quote
chain whip,wrench,torx,allen keys,cable cutter possibly.chain de-linker,tire lifter things,pump,one of those things u put in the hub and use the chain whip with to take off casette.

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
BMX8000 wrote:
-Full Set of Wrenches.
-Ratchet and Sockets
-Hammer
-Rubber Hammer
-Allen Keys
-Wire Cutter/Strippers
-Pliers
-Pump
-tire lvers
-spoke wrench
-BB tool
-Hands
-Patience
-Good Working area
-Positve Attitude
thanks that was really helpful

Posted: Jan 21, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
Got to add
-chian breaker
-chian cleaner
-headset wrench(if your working with old threaded headsets, i guessing your not so not completely nessacary)
-Chain Whip

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 1:47 Quote
BMX8000 wrote:
-Full Set of Wrenches.
-Ratchet and Sockets
-Hammer
-Rubber Hammer
-Allen Keys
-Wire Cutter/Strippers
-Pliers
-Pump
-tire lvers
-spoke wrench
-BB tool
-Hands
-Patience
-Good Working area
-Positve Attitude

A bike stand would also come in quite handy! Other than that I think that is a pretty good list. You could just buy a toolbox kit, I picked up one for £40 and it had the tools to completely dismantle my bike which was relatively helpful. Parktool toolkit has been apparently containing low quality tools, so have a look around and dont assume parktool is the only one out there!

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 6:42 Quote
oh, cus i was thinking bout buying one of there tool kits. it comes with everything and a carrying kit.but maybe not now.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 7:02 Quote
konarider30 wrote:
oh, cus i was thinking bout buying one of there tool kits. it comes with everything and a carrying kit.but maybe not now.

your basing the quality of there tools on one persons opinion Rolleyes even though 99% of the bike mechanics and shops out there use them says a little more about there quality. There a little more expensive but you get what you pay for plus a limited lifetime warranty.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011322
Mobile Version of Website