Dismantling a specialized demo 8

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Dismantling a specialized demo 8
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2015 at 20:31 Quote
I'm looking for a price range for a tear down and rebuild of a complete bike to get it coated over somebody rattlecaning the frame? 2013 demo 8 any advice on what to do to save some money please let me know

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
I have two old bikes which I'm currently dissembling, stripping paint, getting powder coated and reassembling.
Here is how much its costing me per bike.
Ball bearings = $25
Plastic bushings = $17
Paint stripper = $12
Miscellaneous new hardware (bolts, pins, etc) = $20
Powder coating = $78
These prices include shipping and taxes.
$152 in total spent and it looks and feels like a new bike.

My recommendation is go as far as you are comfortable with. If you get stuck on something like stubborn bearing or pin, take it to your LBS and ask for help.

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 7:36 Quote
Unfortunately I can't help much with rebuilding or servicing suspension side of things. I always give my fork to my LBS mechanic and rear shocks off to anyone who can rebuild.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 8:24 Quote
Thanks ya I figured I'll take it as fair as I can and then have them do the rest I don't need new parts just it's taken down for a powder coating of the frame and rear linkage

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 10:42 Quote
I just want to point out that I knocked the bearings out with a screw driver and hammer.
This ruined some of the sealed bearings, but it didn't matter since I was replacing them all. If you are reusing bearings take it slow and make sure your don't damage them. That's where you LBS will come in handy.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 14:17 Quote
Ya I'm having the shop do it 300$ for take down and reassemble. ! Ouch but the powder coat is 170 so it be not to bad thinking flat black or a nice blue color

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 8:28 Quote
Well now I'm try my self that to much any advice on how to get the year of make off the serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
I think you'll find the answer here.

http://specialized.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/808731-serial-number-lookup

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 17:01 Quote
I'd venture to say you will probably void your warranty if you paint it....

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 17:51 Quote
Well Because they want your money

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 15:11 Quote
what year demo 8 is it? I have an 2010 demo 8 that I bought and the paint was ruined from rock chips. Ended up down building it, getting it powder coated, got new bearings and reassembled it. My powder coat actually turned out great, but you HAVE to mask off EVERY spot you pull a bearing from. Its such a high tolerance in there that even a tiny bit of powder coat or paint in the pivot, you'll have a problem repressing the bearings. Im a mech at my lbs and get parts at cost, found them online for about $50 plus shipping. Ended up getting them through the shop "at cost but somehow it still ended up being $50 for the entire kit. Theres a few online retailers that have complete sets. But I CANT stress enough that you spend the time and mask all those off, sanding those out by hand takes forever Madder I got hooked up on my powder coat price thru a friend that does them. Did 3 different colors on the linkage. Ill post some pics later Big Grin

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 15:13 Quote
megadethe99 wrote:
Well Because they want your money

The waivers they have customers sign when purchasing their bikes says as long as you dont drill or weld it..so maybe paint is okay since they didnt specify?! Razz

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2015 at 3:58 Quote
Yes I knew that have them mask off all holes got the bearing an bolt kit already on order 80$ for the bearing kit and then 45 for the bolt kit. all I gotta wait for his little extra cash and it's going to get powdercoated Satin black

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016340
Mobile Version of Website