Powered by Outside

Mtb saddles, my arse is hurting!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mtb saddles, my arse is hurting!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 27, 2015 at 17:23 Quote
whut up guys let me just get to the point . I'm a big dude , not fat just big as hell, think of shaq, im a lil bit smaller but same frame. I absolutely love mtb but my arse is DYING and my kibbles are also paying the price!!!!! is there a do it all seat? I've tried 10 different seat s, all of wtb' seats, bontrager,and avenior . ive been hesintent to pull the trigger of the really higher end seats for multiple reason , 1they start to get lightweight and I'm purely a heavy weight so I don't wanna break it!,, 2. I don't wanna drop 150-200 bucks on a seat and that crap don't work either then I'm stuck with it ... so im looking to you guys for a lil help,guidance . my riding style are trail some xc ,, trying to get into endure but man my arse is killing me .................please help me guys

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 3:51 Quote
i am similar build, i find the specialized henge comp 155 width brilliant, the wider shell makes all the difference, and the mid level padding is spot on

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 11:44 Quote
Trying as many as you can is probably the best solution. Saddles are extremely subjective so don't bother looking at any reviews unless the reviewer specifies their body and ass type, and tends to the fact that saddle comfort is a subjective term.

Usually if a saddle is comfortable right as you sit on it - it's gonna be comfortable a few hours of riding later.

I know that Specialized's Body Geometry have different saddle sizes for different body types, and that they have equipment to measure your ass (your sitting bones to be more exact) and determine what model and size saddle you need.

You can also try looking at Brooks. They're pretty praised in the bikepacking field where people ride days to no end. Their saddles do require break-on though as they're made of leather.

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 12:09 Quote
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Figure out how wide your seat bones are using the measuring tool. I got a $25 saddle from a specialized shop for my lady with the proper measurement, and she has been good to go ever since. She suffered at first!

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 4:36 Quote
Get a proper saddle fit at a shop - usually places that do these will have demo saddles as well that for a deposit you can trial for a couple of weeks. Your health is worth this expenditure!

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 22:48 Quote
Thanks again guys for the help!! Cheers

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 22:49 Quote

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
You can measure your sit bones yourself, as long as you don't mind feeling a bit of a plonker.

Lay a sheet of aluminium foil flat somewhere suitable (if your stairs are carpeted, they're perfect), and sit on it. Try to lift your feet to have as much of your weight going through your arse as possible. Now get straight up. You'll have left an arse-print in the foil - the deepest indentations are your sit bones, so measure between the deepest points of left and right sit bone. You'll want your saddle to be wider than that, but not so wide it interferes with your pedalling.

Took me years of agony to realise I was a, ahem, wider gentleman, and now I have a Specialized Henge in 155mm which my arse thanks me for every time I get on the bike.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 7:36 Quote
Maybe a silly thing to say but.....

padded shorts?

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 10:01 Quote
Maybe something like this would help ? Smile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://factoryjackson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/AshtonNicolai-2.jpg

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 14:29 Quote
Chick0 wrote:
Maybe something like this would help ? Smile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://factoryjackson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/AshtonNicolai-2.jpg
lmao!!! hahhahahahahaha,,hahahahahaha ,,,Laughing My Ass Off ......that's a good one chicko ,,,well played

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 14:32 Quote
MonkeyPuzzle wrote:
You can measure your sit bones yourself, as long as you don't mind feeling a bit of a plonker.

Lay a sheet of aluminium foil flat somewhere suitable (if your stairs are carpeted, they're perfect), and sit on it. Try to lift your feet to have as much of your weight going through your arse as possible. Now get straight up. You'll have left an arse-print in the foil - the deepest indentations are your sit bones, so measure between the deepest points of left and right sit bone. You'll want your saddle to be wider than that, but not so wide it interferes with your pedalling.

Took me years of agony to realise I was a, ahem, wider gentleman, and now I have a Specialized Henge in 155mm which my arse thanks me for every time I get on the bike.
I will doing today as soon as I get in thanks a lot ..............what a great idea, I called a bike shop on my lunch break and those fools said 100,buck for seat fit & 350 for bike fit!!!!!

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 14:34 Quote
Crownan wrote:
Maybe a silly thing to say but.....

padded shorts?
yea im riding with the man-pon shorts, they do help alot,

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 at 13:29 Quote
Take a look at Ergon's saddles. I've tried a few different makes and was never totally satisfied until I got an Ergon. Order it off Amazon and it's easy to return it if you don't like it.

Posted: Aug 2, 2015 at 6:24 Quote

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038832
Mobile Version of Website