Painting The Rims Of Your bike??

PB Forum :: Beginners
Painting The Rims Of Your bike??
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
Alright so i want to get some white rims, and one of my friends painted there rims and looks pretty deecent, have any of you done this before? What paint? What brushes? etc. Help me out Razz

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 9:45 Quote
Spray Paint is the best way in my opinion. I would recommend disassembling your wheels first so you dont get an uneven paint job or paint on the hub.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 9:50 Quote
oh taht is a good idea but i want to make sure like it looks like a normal rim, will you be able to tell if it was spray painted? I want to paint it white and make it look like any ordinary rim, is that possible?

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 9:53 Quote
Paint in lightcoats and do multiple thin layers. Like I said take your rim apart if you want to get it prefect but if you dont care if theres paint on the spokes then dont. Also hang the rim rather then setting it on the ground to paint it. Lastly dont touch it after you paint it wait atleast the amount of time the can says for drying. Nothing sucks worse then a big old finger print in your paint.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 9:53 Quote
a couple of even coats would do the trick of making it look normal

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 9:56 Quote
Yes, I've done the same thing with my old wheels. Best way to paint them is using a airbrush with rust paint. I have used that to do my old wheels and it worked out great, and I used Green Painters Mate Tape (36mm x 55mm) on the spokes and nipples. I did two coats and it was well done. Rode them for 2 months and no chips came off.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:00 Quote
snoppy647 wrote:
Yes, I've done the same thing with my old wheels. Best way to paint them is using a airbrush with rust paint. I have used that to do my old wheels and it worked out great, and I used Green Painters Mate Tape (36mm x 55mm) on the spokes and nipples. I did two coats and it was well done. Rode them for 2 months and no chips came off.

Did you use a primer ? And did you coat it?

Curious myself to see what products people actually use.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
Rustolium paint looks cool but I wouldnt put it on my rims to lumpy. As for me I use walmart .99 cent paints in whatever colors are in stock that week.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
hmm so would you say to buy 2 new white rims? Or buy paint/spray paint?

And are you guys saying to like do lots of coats of white spray paint?

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
setup wrote:
hmm so would you say to buy 2 new white rims? Or buy paint/spray paint?

And are you guys saying to like do lots of coats of white spray paint?

Whats the point of buying rims? A lot of companies now are doing black/white/gold colours, Yellow also because it has been scientifically to improve wheel strength...

Spray the ones you have man, obviously have after stripping the paint off them.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:03 Quote
Do as few coats as nessary, to many coats and you rims will look chunky. I would paint them, its cheaper and I'm a DIY person.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:05 Quote
jallan wrote:
Yellow also because it has been scientifically to improve wheel strength...

Qoute of the day!~

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:05 Quote
jallan wrote:
snoppy647 wrote:

Did you use a primer ? And did you coat it?

Curious myself to see what products people actually use.

They were actually chrome rims, and I din't use the primer on them. But they still came out pretty nice.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:06 Quote
hawskill wrote:
jallan wrote:
Yellow also because it has been scientifically to improve wheel strength...

Qoute of the day!~

Big Grin

I read it somewhere on another post a while ago made me laugh a lot. Obviously i was being as sarcastic as possible.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 10:07 Quote
okay so im going to attempt this.. but i dont no how to lace rims Razz , and can someone give me detailed steps all i no is:

Hang the rim
Take everything off
Buy white spray paint
few coats so it doesnt look chunky
Did i get everything?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009630
Mobile Version of Website