Trail/AM best choice? Need your opinion!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail/AM best choice? Need your opinion!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 9:41 Quote
Hey Guys! Î'm pretty new to this forum but i take a look weekly on this site! Looking forward to have good suggestions on buying or building a good Trail/AM bike!

Here is a short list of bike that I think will be a good choice.
-Rocky Montain thunderbolt 770
-Devinci Troy SE
-Gt Sensor( not sure with this one)
-Specialized Camber

For now I try thunderbolt bc edition and honestly its a amazing bike. Good for climbing, great downhill aptitudes, light feel and amazing feel and maniability! The only thing is, I cant asume the hight price tag. This is why im looking for the 770.

Here is my spec: 1.84m and 195lbs.

Any suggestions ??

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
those aren't XC bikes, more Trail/AM, so it's hard to make suggestions without knowing what kind of riding you actually do.

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 11:31 Quote
My bad... 60% climbing and 40% smooth DH line. Really love the RM Thunderbolt...

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 19:21 Quote
I demo rode a Troy a couple of years ago and would have bought one if only the TT/reach was a bit longer.

You should add the Giant Trance to your list, they are a super value in Canada, relative to some other brands. Similar geometry to the Troy, a bit more reach, and a bit lighter.

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 17:24 Quote
Second the Giant Trance. Not a fan of GT in general though from personal experience.

Posted: Nov 5, 2015 at 5:51 Quote
Waiting for a demo day with Devinci rep. I will give a go to a Troy and Spartan. Not sure if we can try a Hendrix! Someone now about the Hendrix??

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2015 at 21:21 Quote
Stumpjumper. It will run you a bit more than the Camber on the entry level but will be worth it.

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 at 8:57 Quote
dbendixen wrote:
Stumpjumper. It will run you a bit more than the Camber on the entry level but will be worth it.

Agreed, man that thing is sick...

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 11:19 Quote
Looking the giant trance now... What about the quick release on the rear wheel?? Is it solid??

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 18:19 Quote
Mk318t wrote:
Looking the giant trance now... What about the quick release on the rear wheel?? Is it solid??
Which model?
Mine came with 142x12 rear hub with a fixed-lever thru axle that just screws in.

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 19:25 Quote
If the fixed lever thru axle is in fact what you're referring to (came stock on my 2014 Giant Trance 1 and I'm almost positive they come stock on all models but not 100% sure), I can confirm it being solid. When I got the bike my intentions were to swap to a heavier duty axle (142x12) but the stock thru axle hadn't given me a reason to make the switch. It's held up just fine for me and although I weight less I certainly put that bike through a fair amount of abuse. I actually just snapped off the end of the lever laying the bike down in a turn so I'm unable to tighten the axle and it's been staying threaded in the wheel for a while now. It stays put, holds up, and doesn't need to be worried about.

I would also recommend buying a Trance. They're great bikes.

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 19:47 Quote
Check out the Marin Attack Trail or Mount Vision models. Got a Mount Vision XM7 a few days ago and love it!

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 7:50 Quote
Commencal meta v4 ????

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 11:39 Quote
Marin and Commencal are very hard to find here in Québec.

The Trance look like a great bike! For now i look for the Trance 2 maybe 1. Whats the big difference between Trance SX and Trance? This is basically the same bike?

For the quick release, i never see another bike compagny putting these on a respectable bike! Someone says thats its possible to remove and upgrade with a fix hub??

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 11:56 Quote
Mk318t wrote:
Marin and Commencal are very hard to find here in Québec.

The Trance look like a great bike! For now i look for the Trance 2 maybe 1. Whats the big difference between Trance SX and Trance? This is basically the same bike?

For the quick release, i never see another bike compagny putting these on a respectable bike! Someone says thats its possible to remove and upgrade with a fix hub??
the 2016 Trance 2 and 1 have really nice specs, not much upgrading needed, if at all.
The SX has beefier, more AM than Trail spec - 160mm vs 140mm fork, piggyback shock etc.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013288
Mobile Version of Website