Powered by Outside

Do you like wide or thin tires?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Do you like wide or thin tires?
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:03 Quote
I have been told that wide tires suck. Is that true.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
Depends on what you want your tires to do. If you want a fast tire, then you want something skinny. If you want a tire that grips then wider is better.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
i used a 1.95 for dh on my bike

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:13 Quote
I prefer wider tires. Even if i ride urban more, ill stick to my 2.5 Nevegal on the front and 2.35 on the back. Ive never fallen do to lack of grip, or gotten a flat cause i use the thickest tube i can put in em. And besides i like the hum they make if im not listening to music...

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
I prefer wider tires. Even if i ride urban more, ill stick to my 2.5 Nevegal on the front and 2.35 on the back. Ive never fallen do to lack of grip, or gotten a flat cause i use the thickest tube i can put in em. And besides i like the hum they make if im not listening to music...
so why do you like the smaller tire in the back?

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
my frame doesnt like 2.5's in the rear. Kinda ate away at it....Frown

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:17 Quote
ha true..i hate tire rub on the paint.. and chainslap

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:21 Quote
Its a lil more than paint rubbing off. Theres quite a bit of metal missing...but its still safe to ride. Chain slap has completely stripped all the paint off the bottom of my chainstay.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
Its a lil more than paint rubbing off. Theres quite a bit of metal missing...but its still safe to ride. Chain slap has completely stripped all the paint off the bottom of my chainstay.
so have you thought of putting a chainstay protector or its not even worth it...

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
The width of tires depends on how and what you ride. For DH wider tires are better for stability and grip. For XC, narrower tires like 2.1's cause they are lighter. For street and dirt, 2.3's are very common.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
i have, i dont know y i havnt gotten one or tried to get one though. lazy, just a lil bit...

Back on topic...

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
ha.. ok.. im running some 2.4's on mine right now..

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
i'm going to go on record here and say that tire width has as much or more to do with what is popular than the amount of grip you get. i mean, a couple years ago everybody was stuffing 3.0's into their envy-arched marzocchis, and the guys who couldn't fit the 26" showed up with 24x3.0 tires (front and rear mind you). over the last couple years tire width has narrowed quite a lot (for the better or worse, you decide). basically, run whatever width you want and keep in mind that rotational weight is the most noticeable.

i'm running 2.5s front and rear.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:34 Quote
I love wide tires. For stability and for traction. I've ridden with 2.1's and 2.35's and I can feel the difference. I may go with a 2.1 on the back to save some weight. I'm running 2.35 Maxxis Minion's and they have traction for days. Before I just had some cheap 2.10 IRC's and they sucked. Then I tried my brother-in-law's road bike and I almost fell with the little tires that thing had.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 18:35 Quote
Ziggler wrote:
I love wide tires. For stability and for traction. I've ridden with 2.1's and 2.35's and I can feel the difference. I may go with a 2.1 on the back to save some weight. I'm running 2.35 Maxxis Minion's and they have traction for days. Before I just had some cheap 2.10 IRC's and they sucked. Then I tried my brother-in-law's road bike and I almost fell with the little tires that thing had.
haha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013231
Mobile Version of Website