Powered by Outside

Virgin buyer!!

PB Forum :: Beginners
Virgin buyer!!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
Hey guys,sorry this might have been posted sooo many times, but don't have the patience to look through all the threads =P

So I'm getting into downhill biking this summer..and need some good advice/suggestions on a bike to purchase.

I'm only 5'3, so what size?? Brand??

Any other advice would be fabulous.

Cheers!

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:36 Quote
virgin eh? well consider your cherry a thing of the past.

Have you biked before? What other bikes?

This kind of stuff helps us help you

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
What kind of riding do you want to do? How much do you have to spend? So many variables. Go test ride all sorts of bikes and you will be able to figure it out.

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:38 Quote
I can't tell you what bike to get, theres so many out there, but I would recomend a size small frame, a medium at the biggest but that would still be pushing it.

Chom,

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:40 Quote
depends on where your riding, how long you've ridden etc, its also a lot of preference. I prefer a size small bike, even tho im 5 foot 10.

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:47 Quote
since your only 5' 3", i'm assuming your not that heavy so you probably won't need a bike with huge amounts of travel such as an M3 or V-10. but as the other guys said, more info would help.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:54 Quote
Well your 5'3 right. I'm guessing you're pretty light as well then. Stick to something lighter. Don't go all out on a super expensive bike right off the bat. There's some nice female specific bikes out there. If you want a full suspension try to keep in around that 35lbs weight. Anything that gets up towards that 40lbs range is going to be really heavy for you.

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:27 Quote
oh wow, didn't expect such quick resonses!lol

Well, I've ridden Downhill a couple times on my ex's bike..it was a Norco Aline..way too big for me, but still had a blast.

I'm not going to try anything toooo extreme. Just basic downhill trails, maybe some jumps if Im brave enough.

I may be short, but I weight about 160lbs: Another reason why I want to start biking..lose some of this extra weight =P

My price range is MAX 1500. So probably something second hand, not tooo too fancy to begin with.

Hope that helps!

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
look at an sx trial or something else with 6-7 inches of travel as thats all yoi realy need

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
Did you like the feel of a full suspension? Or would you like to ride a hard tail?

Mod
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:33 Quote
I would look at a Giant Reign. They might be a tad over your budget but are well worth the extra money. I am sure you can find one used for about $1500 but new, the lower end model, the Reign X2 is still very well spec'ed out for what you are paying. I am not too sure on the exact price of that bike but I would assume it is about $2000ish. They also come in an XS

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:42 Quote
there are some decently priced Stinky's on here that would work perfectly for you. plus in your price range.

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:43 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/290286/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/290214/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/277454/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/290008/

Start there. Check out the buy and sell too... If you do not know much about bikes, take some who does when/if you check a bike out.

Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:46 Quote
thatguydave wrote:
Did you like the feel of a full suspension? Or would you like to ride a hard tail?

I loved the feeling of a full suspension. I found the hard tail not as fun..

I will probably be going wth a couple friends that bike to look at some. But thought I would get a head start looking online.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 20:56 Quote
Careful buying online too. Get something close to you and take it to a bike shop before you pay for it. They'll look over it for you and see if there's any money that you need to sink into it. All you need is to spend you $1500 on a bike then spend another $500 on a new drivetrain and break cables.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014583
Mobile Version of Website