Powered by Outside

Best fork for dirt jumping?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Best fork for dirt jumping?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 13:44 Quote
Looking to build a dirt jumper, any suggestions for a fork? I'm a bigger guy (6'3 180 lbs). I'm not trying to spend a ton of money though, so what would be best? Thanks!

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 15:11 Quote
For a great and reliable fork at pretty much the lowest price on the market, you can't really get any better than a manitou circus expert in my opinion. I've had mine for about a year now, still cruises dj sets like a dream.

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 17:05 Quote
Skewt wrote:
For a great and reliable fork at pretty much the lowest price on the market, you can't really get any better than a manitou circus expert in my opinion. I've had mine for about a year now, still cruises dj sets like a dream.

+1 I was going to say Circus, Comp or Expert. Both great choices but for the dollar you really can't beat the comp.

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 6:59 Quote
I just bought my 2nd Circus Expert in 5 years. Not because the first one broke down, but because I liked it so much, I wanted one for my Dartmoor Ghetto (already have one on a Suburban park.

I should add that I do have a Pike DJ and an RCT, and although they're better forks in terms of quality and plushness, the cIrcus is damn solid for a 160lb guy like myself.

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 0:22 Quote
If price dosn't matter i would defintly say Fox 831 is the Fork u go....

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 3:49 Quote
Ive had a manitou circus expert, fox 34 831 and currently a 36 831. For street and dirt and skatepark, even though its the cheapest, it would be by far the best as you can completely lock them out. You may need to get used to the reversed fork if you do foot jams. The 36 831 is an awesome fork if you do pretty large jumps but you cant lock it out so its not the best for street and it is the most expensive dj 4x optimized fork because you can mess with high and low speed compression and mess with the rebound speed.

Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 0:07 Quote
I just bought rockshox argyle and love them. You can get them new right now for $350 from merlin cycles. They come in 140mm but it comes with the spacers to lower to 100mm.

Posted: Jun 8, 2016 at 17:40 Quote
I would strongly recommend the argyle had mine for about 3 years now and never had a problem.

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 13:06 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:

+1 I was going to say Circus, Comp or Expert. Both great choices but for the dollar you really can't beat the comp.
Not the Sport?
Looking at a used Norco 125, comes with a Circus Sport.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 7:27 Quote
Mrbeau wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:

Not the Sport?
Looking at a used Norco 125, comes with a Circus Sport.

Don't waste time on a sport. Zero damping control.
If that's the bike you want. Buy it and sell the fork and upgrade.

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 19:37 Quote
Cheers.
Bought the bike, love it. But you're bang on about the fork.
Perhaps I'll look into upgrading the internals.

Posted: Jun 17, 2016 at 2:43 Quote
If you jump on any fork or shock locked out, it will drastically shorten the service life of that product. From increased bushing wear to wire drawing of the lockout seat due to blow by leading to its eventual failure to catastrophic failure of the lockout due to extreme load. There's a reason rigid forks exist and as a counter argument there is a reason that top dirt jumpers tend to run functioning suspension forks.

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 22:10 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:

Norcoo 125 comes with a Circus Sport....

Don't waste time on a sport. Zero damping control.
If that's the bike you want. Buy it and sell the fork and upgrade.

Holy crap the top out on this fork is killing me.

Always wondered why people complained so much about top out, now I know the pain. When you hit a lip or even pop it up, the bike is sort of thrown off trajectory by the sudden stopping of the fork travel. It's hellish

Need to upgrade this fork...or something.

Edit: Nevermind, it was just loose headset. Tightened it back up again "top out" gone. :/

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 23:42 Quote
Ridebikes131 wrote:
If you jump on any fork or shock locked out, it will drastically shorten the service life of that product. From increased bushing wear to wire drawing of the lockout seat due to blow by leading to its eventual failure to catastrophic failure of the lockout due to extreme load. There's a reason rigid forks exist and as a counter argument there is a reason that top dirt jumpers tend to run functioning suspension forks.

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 23:44 Quote
Couldn't have said it better myself !!!!!
What a moron locking the fork to ride street lol
Must be his first day on a bike hahaha

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011738
Mobile Version of Website