Powered by Outside

2007 kona shred upgrades- update on page 2

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
2007 kona shred upgrades- update on page 2
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
any reccomendations for upgrdes on my 2007 kona shred. totally stock at the moment.Mainly going to be used for dirt and a small amount of street. this is what i thought:

24t blackspire chainring
gusset micro 1er ss converter
Gusset slink half link chain
gusset slim jim pedals (white)
gusset bastard grips (white)
24 seven suicide bar and stem set
24 seven insignia seat
dmr moto 2.4 rear tyre
halo twin rail 2.2 front tyre (white)
white brake cables of some sort

possibly a gusset chain tensioner?????? but not really needed with the half link

any advice would be helpful, ohh yeah bear in mind i'm 6'4 so thats why the frame is big..........
cheers

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
Tell us the current spec.

IIRC the forks are rather 'poor'?

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
sounds pretty good but id recomend staying away from the gusset grips...they have a really hard compound and when they do eventually soften up theyve already warn out! also what gearing are you thinking about on the back? because all this mini drive stuff is really pointless! hope this is of some help.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
cliffred wrote:
sounds pretty good but id recomend staying away from the gusset grips...they have a really hard compound and when they do eventually soften up theyve already warn out! also what gearing are you thinking about on the back? because all this mini drive stuff is really pointless! hope this is of some help.
agreed my mate had some and they wore out emidiately. i have abikeco edwin delarosa grips and they are nice and cosy

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 13:31 Quote
Okay I just looked over the spec.

If I were you I'd look at a new fork, and possibly wheel depending on what forks you like the looks of.

Also I'd replace the poor ISIS cranks for something like shimano hone with an external bottom bracket; saint if you can afford them.

Brakes are not the best, either look at some hydraulic like the hayes stroker, hope mono range. Or something like the Avid BB7.

As for tyres, you want a wider tyre on the front than the back. I'd say moto diggers/motos/specialized pro resoloution/maxxis holy roller depending on your terrain.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 14:06 Quote
Joeyy wrote:

If I were you I'd look at a new fork, and possibly wheel depending on what forks you like the looks of.

Also I'd replace the poor ISIS cranks for something like shimano hone with an external bottom bracket; saint if you can afford them.

Brakes are not the best, either look at some hydraulic like the hayes stroker, hope mono range. Or something like the Avid BB7.

As for tyres, you want a wider tyre on the front than the back. I'd say moto diggers/motos/specialized pro resoloution/maxxis holy roller depending on your terrain.
get a bmx crank

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 14:12 Quote
caravanking wrote:
Joeyy wrote:

get a bmx crank

Why?

I'm running shimano saint cranks on my single speed jump hardtail.
Quote from shimano
• Ouboard bearings for maximum rigidity.
• 100% stiffer than Shimano XTR’s M960 crank.
• 240g lighter than 3-piece chrome-moly cranks.

Says it all.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 14:19 Quote
Joeyy wrote:
caravanking wrote:
Joeyy wrote:

get a bmx crank

Why?

Quote from shimano

Says it all.
yeah but if saint cranks are meant to be better than bmx cranks why do more people choose bmx cranks, its the simplicity of them

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 14:31 Quote
caravanking wrote:
Joeyy wrote:
caravanking wrote:
get a bmx crank

Why?

Quote from shimano

Says it all.
yeah but if saint cranks are meant to be better than bmx cranks why do more people choose bmx cranks, its the simplicity of them

I allready asked why you should get a bmx crank! And more simple? No chance mate. Soo much stronger, lighter and stiffer. What more do you want?

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 14:55 Quote
look ive fitted allsorts of cranks and trust me bmx cranks are the easiest

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 at 11:44 Quote
alright cheers guys, just wondering how difficuilt is it to fit singlespeed as thats probable one of the first thing's i'll do???

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 at 12:32 Quote
bigalex wrote:
alright cheers guys, just wondering how difficuilt is it to fit singlespeed as thats probable one of the first thing's i'll do???
its fairly easy if you have a casset tool or lock ring tool what ever you want to call it, you just take your gears off and casset and leave your top front chainring on but take the others off put on the ss thing on the rear wheel and fit a chain tensioner if you have one

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
Will need a chain whip
Or ghetto make one yourself.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 5:22 Quote
cheers guys, bin lookin about for some better and cheaper alternatives

most parts the same but a couple of changes, heres the list so far:

gusset slink 3/32 chain (half link)
25/7 suicude bar stem combo (65mm rise)
halo twin rail 2.2 white tyre (front)
ns bikes pancake pedals (white)
gusset lil saddle (black)
tioga skidrow fs100 tyre 2.3 (rear)
blackspire pro 24t chainring
blackspire granny god 24t bashguard
gusset 1er micro single speed conversion kit
odi longneck grips (white)

as before any advice wil be greatfully recieved.

a couple of q's:

1) gearing, sound ok?
2) Half link, will it work on vert dropouts

cheers

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 5:29 Quote
bigalex wrote:
cheers guys, bin lookin about for some better and cheaper alternatives

most parts the same but a couple of changes, heres the list so far:

gusset slink 3/32 chain (half link)
25/7 suicude bar stem combo (65mm rise)
halo twin rail 2.2 white tyre (front)
ns bikes pancake pedals (white)
gusset lil saddle (black)
tioga skidrow fs100 tyre 2.3 (rear)
blackspire pro 24t chainring
blackspire granny god 24t bashguard
gusset 1er micro single speed conversion kit
odi longneck grips (white)

as before any advice wil be greatfully recieved.

a couple of q's:

1) gearing, sound ok?
2) Half link, will it work on vert dropouts

cheers

You haven't told us the gearing.
Secondly, I would get a normal chain for vertical dropouts, and run a chain tensioner. Most half link chains are too wide and fat for tensioners.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011591
Mobile Version of Website