Powered by Outside

Underage Drinking

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Underage Drinking
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
So I turn 18 in a month, and my parents are freaking out about drinking. I live in Ontario so the age is 19, but if I were in Quebec, Manitoba or Alberta, Id be just about legal. They say that alcohol affects your decision making, which i can agree with, but in 12 months will my decision making change that drastically? Also, the drinking age in Ontario when they were kids was 18 and recently changed to 19 about 29 years ago. So chances are, their decision making was bad for their first year of drinking too then right? Nobody else in my group of frinds has any problems with their parents and drinking, and I dont really understand why they are making a huge deal about it. Now im stuck at home for the long weekend.. yay.

If theres any parents here, please go ahead and share some wisdom.

Im wondering if anybody else has no trouble drinking a year before the legal age in Ontario?

Trevor

If this kind of thread isnt allowed, feel free to delete.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:25 Quote
I'm sorta going through the same thing... I just moved from manitoba so now I have to wait till 21 down here... however my parents have agreed to buy me alcohol when I'm 18... But my parents know that I'm not gonna go to a party and get hammered.

The problem with underage drinking is that everyone just gets smashed... whereas the older you get (most) people realize they need to control their alcohol intake. Its true that one year isn't gonna change your mind and what you do with alcohol...

I don't exactly know what your relationship with your parents is... but if you show them that you can consume alcohol appropriately I can't imagine them having to much of a problem. You might want to just get hammered at parties so that won't work for you...

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
^ agreed.

It's just a process of gaining their trust and showing that you can be responsible.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
tremblay wrote:
^ agreed.

It's just a process of gaining their trust and showing that you can be responsible.

and then not breaking it.

Thats the important part Wink

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:33 Quote
Well they even said in their rant that you may like the taste of beer, but you really shouldnt be having it cause its "illigal".

As for drinking responsibibly, they have only questioned my soberness once, but said that I am sometimes a little more quiet than usuall. I come home every night, and have only crashed at a friends house a couple times. But Im also not allowed to do that either.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
Uhhg drinking is so gross. I just think that when people drink they get dumb and its embarassing.Confused Just do what I do when everyone else is drinking spark some reefer and watch these animals in amazment.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:36 Quote
markewich wrote:
Uhhg drinking is so gross. I just think that when people drink they get dumb and its embarassing.Confused Just do what I do when everyone else is drinking spark some reefer and watch these animals in amazment.

Id still be doing something thats "bad" and theres no way they are going to be happy about drug use, so lets leave this out of the picture.

Theres also a larger social aspect in drinking than in drugs.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:45 Quote
Coming from someone who doesn't drink any more, I don't see the what the big deal is about it. When I go out, I still have fun with my friends. They may all be drunk and high but we still have a good time even though I remain sober. People give alcohol and drinking at a young age way too much credit for being "fun".

In my experiences, its always been more fun to not drink and just pick on the drunks. it entertains you and they don't remember it in the morning, everyone wins.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:47 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
Coming from someone who doesn't drink any more, I don't see the what the big deal is about it. When I go out, I still have fun with my friends. They may all be drunk and high but we still have a good time even though I remain sober. People give alcohol and drinking at a young age way too much credit for being "fun".

In my experiences, its always been more fun to not drink and just pick on the drunks. it entertains you and they don't remember it in the morning, everyone wins.

It's not even a huge "getting drunk" thing. Just being able to go out and have 1 or 2 is not good in their eyes.

They are restricting my leaving the house abilities, so I cant even watch the drunkies.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 16:54 Quote
magicaltrevor wrote:
markewich wrote:

Id still be doing something thats "bad" and theres no way they are going to be happy about drug use, so lets leave this out of the picture.

Theres also a larger social aspect in drinking than in drugs.

Ok if you wanna drink some nasty harsh liquid, call a girl you like and look like a complete loser/idiot, make an ass out of yourself, puke, do sh*t with a fat chick, then sleep all day the next day, BE MY GUEST!Big Grin

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:

Thats the truth... I love messing with my drunk friends...

I don't know how well this would work but ask your parents to go to the party and safely drive your friends home... Thats what I did... All my friends were 18 so I drove them everywhere and had just as much fun as them... and never woke up screaming from pain... or an unsightly girl in my bed

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
ezekiel82 wrote:

Thats the truth... I love messing with my drunk friends...

I don't know how well this would work but ask your parents to go to the party and safely drive your friends home... Thats what I did... All my friends were 18 so I drove them everywhere and had just as much fun as them... and never woke up screaming from pain... or an unsightly girl in my bed

Thats another possibility. Its a pretty good back up plan and will probably be what ends up happening if nothing gets solved.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:

Thats the truth right there, I've pretty much given up on it, don't really see the point in it anymore. For me though its usually more a case of screw with the stoned kids instead, cause i'm usually around my buddies more when they are baked than when they are drunk.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 17:54 Quote
All right, I remember the very first time I talked to my parents abut this. I'm still underage. To make a long story short, went drinking, friend got shitfaced, parents called other parents, dad made fun of said friend haha. They don't mind if I drink, just as long as I don't come home loaded, which is why I don't come home when I'm loaded haha Beer

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 17:59 Quote
cdavis wrote:
All right, I remember the very first time I talked to my parents abut this. I'm still underage. To make a long story short, went drinking, friend got shitfaced, parents called other parents, dad made fun of said friend haha. They don't mind if I drink, just as long as I don't come home loaded, which is why I don't come home when I'm loaded haha Beer

Not allowed to crash anywhere anymore. I have a 12oclock curfew on weekends.

Id love for my parents to call some people, nobody else is so strict on this matter.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011910
Mobile Version of Website