Powered by Outside

i want to hear your RST stories

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:03 Quote

ok i'll start, quite a few years back now (like 5) i used to ride trials i know terrible and i'm not proud. but my friend Rob at the time decided he liked the street dirt scene and wanted to go more that way so bought himself a set of 2000 z3 flylights (ok 7 years ago, jees) he swore by them and told me i needed to go sus eventually i gave in and bought some RST 281's for a tester after an hour they were rigid and it didn't make any difference.

now i found the light and ride a proper bike(s)

no death threats from mods and stocks i'm only joking, now come on keep it simple... RST stories???

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:03 Quote
had one on a hardrock, blow out the seal the first day, rst gila 5 suck for medium use

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:04 Quote
check my profile that pretty much says it all about my fork!Madder Beer

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:08 Quote
codyloveskona wrote:
had one on a hardrock, blow out the seal the first day, rst gila 5 suck for medium use

Dude RST'S suck for ANY useJoker

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
When I was 12, 3 years ago,I bought a 2004 Giant, I came with a Rst , like a ``goog`` one, I start learnig tricks and all,then 2 moth after, came in 2, crown broke, the stanchions bend, and lowers bend to! God I freaked Evil

good entery level fork, for a 12 year old kid. they put them on walmart bikes now, so that says it all

yeah but you guys were riding thier low end forks so something bad is gonna happen easy to them at sum point, but thier high end forks like the space are surpposed to be rather good. just saying my view.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:11 Quote
i saw a man getting raped by an RST.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:11 Quote
Yeah , back then they put it on medium entry bikes, It was a pretty good fork for the use, I loved it to, really nice feeling for that kond of fork, even dought it was like one of the best Rst's!

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
damn ive got RSTs on my chucker, they came with them, im really worried about crashing down a trail or something and thats really holding me back on improving, im deperate to get some news before the summer otherwise ill die Frown

FL
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:17 Quote
Ok let me clear up a few things. The reason why there are so many RST "horror stories" is mainly because people buy a bike that is within their budged, and use the bike well outside of it's intended use. This is not something unique to RST.

You cannot expect an entry level cross country fork to hold up riding street, jumps, or anything else that isn't cross country.

The fact of the matter is, if you need a dirt jump fork, you have to spend the extra money to get the right equipment. RST now has a line of high-end after market forks that have been getting great reviews and have no resemblance to older or less expensive OEM models.

photo

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bp0.blogger.com/_syabEdCLz_8/R4Zni-MpYwI/AAAAAAAAALc/XSurulfmayg/s1600/Billyinvert%2Bcopy.jpg
http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/rst-m-29-first-air-and-titan-air-forks/

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
My friend Dan also had the 381's on his old GT also as a tester to see if he liked sus they lasted considerabley longer than mine, about a month and abit then they also went rigid, the best part was when he took them off his bike you turn the fork upside down repeatedly and you could hear all the shrapnel dropping inside.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:23 Quote
I saw a bike once with an RST fork, I didn't buy it. Seriously, good question because I'm wondering how their newer forks are doing. I've never used one but I just remember seeing them on all those crappy dept store bikes I used to put together.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:26 Quote
m3hl wrote:
Ok let me clear up a few things. The reason why there are so many RST "horror stories" is mainly because people buy a bike that is within their budged, and use the bike well outside of it's intended use. This is not something unique to RST.

You cannot expect an entry level cross country fork to hold up riding street, jumps, or anything else that isn't cross country.

The fact of the matter is, if you need a dirt jump fork, you have to spend the extra money to get the right equipment. RST now has a line of high-end after market forks that have been getting great reviews and have no resemblance to older or less expensive OEM models.

photo

[P=http://bp0.blogger.com/_syabEdCLz_8/R4Zni-MpYwI/AAAAAAAAALc/XSurulfmayg/s1600-h/Billyinvert+copy.jpg size=malign=c]http://bp0.blogger.com/_syabEdCLz_8/R4Zni-MpYwI/AAAAAAAAALc/XSurulfmayg/s1600-h/Billyinvert+copy.jpg[/P]

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/rst-m-29-first-air-and-titan-air-forks/

now that looks like a face that says why did i buy Rapid-Suspenion-Tecnology

or a face that thinks "mummy why isn't daddy moving"

"No daddy no"

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
I have a story but i'm not hating on RST. The brand new Space came on my Eastern Night Train, before I got the bike I never knew of this fork. Anyways I was at a campground on a bank and I did tiretap, the fork blew up, and the lowers popped off. I was pissed, they sent me a new one and I didn't really bother to send back the old ones even though they old me to. So now I have 2, a black and a white one. I'm selling the white one BTW. The newer one they sent feels a lot different than the old one. Feels a lot smoother for some reason. The higher end forks that they have now, seem to be a huge improvement from the older ones. So don't freak because of the horror stories, products can change and get much better. My opinion is that the RST Space is a solid fork for the price. My 2 cents

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010571
Mobile Version of Website