Powered by Outside

I need a 27.5 DH wheelset

PB Forum :: Downhill
I need a 27.5 DH wheelset
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 at 21:07 Quote
Pretty much destroyed my rear wheel today, rim and spokes are shot. Any suggestions for alloy wheels, complete or reusing my hubs? Needs to be tubeless so I can run Cush Core or something similar, I like riding rocks and roots here in New England.

157 and 20/110 hub spacing

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 5:41 Quote
I’m about to order a set of Spank Spike 33’s for my build. CRC has them for $475...

How do you like the Cush Core? I’m thinking of getting those as well. I just ran regular tubeless on my hardtail but for my DH bike I want the thing to be almost indestructible. I’m in the Northeast also so rocks and roots are a daily occurrence.

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 5:53 Quote
NickC18 wrote:
I’m about to order a set of Spank Spike 33’s for my build. CRC has them for $475...

How do you like the Cush Core? I’m thinking of getting those as well. I just ran regular tubeless on my hardtail but for my DH bike I want the thing to be almost indestructible. I’m in the Northeast also so rocks and roots are a daily occurrence.

Two of the guys I ride with use Cush Core, they both like it, probably saved one of their wheels yesterday (riding at Creek).

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 9:22 Quote
Jenson was just having an amazing sale on spank wheels. Not sure if the sale is still on but they were CHEAP. I just bought raceface atlas and love them, really light, wide, easy to setup tubeless.

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 12:14 Quote
SPANK Spike Wheelset Race 27.5.
you can use it.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 7:33 Quote
Ordered a custom set from Cycle Wheels USA, hopefully I get to ride them before all the parks close for the season.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 11:23 Quote
yzedf wrote:
Ordered a custom set from Cycle Wheels USA, hopefully I get to ride them before all the parks close for the season.

Good choice. He's very professional and has great prices

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
I am also in the market for a new wheelset.

What do you think about these teo choices:

Spank Vibrocore 350
or
Race Face Atlas

Both are advertised as strong snd reliable, but only Spank has some reviews out (which are good). No reviews about the Atlas...

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 10:14 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:

Spank Vibrocore 350
or
Race Face Atlas

Both are advertised as strong snd reliable, but only Spank has some reviews out (which are good). No reviews about the Atlas...

The builder I used and I had a discussion about Spank rims. He said the Race 33 was for people that breaks stuff all the time and that Vibrocore 350 is great for people that don't need one of the strongest things out there. I decided on the Vibrocore, but only after talking about my experiences with other wheelsets and my intended setup (tubeless, Cush Core and DH casings).

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 10:28 Quote
So you bought the Vibrocore? Any experience already?
Might give them a go, they are reasonably priced. I need a strong but not the steongest wheelset, I only weigh 77kg geared up.

Wonder if the Atlas would be stronger

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
So you bought the Vibrocore? Any experience already?
Might give them a go, they are reasonably priced. I need a strong but not the steongest wheelset, I only weigh 77kg geared up.

Wonder if the Atlas would be stronger

They don't come in for another week or so, just in time for... Winter. Hopefully I get one park day on them and will be able to report back here.

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 12:32 Quote
Yes please do so.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 15:24 Quote
I rode vibrocores on a wreckoning for about 30 (900 miles or so) park days. They may not be the strongest rims in the world, but mine are in perfect shape and have stood up to very rocky terrain and plenty of drops/jumps.

I cant say that I notice the foam, but I am overall very happy with the rims.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 17:46 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:

Spank Vibrocore 350
or
Race Face Atlas

I have atlas. Love them. Smooth and mega stiff with the assymetric design. My only complaint is that the hub is extremely loud but I know some people like that.

Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 18:06 Quote
I excluded Atlas solely for 28 holes to be honest

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010741
Mobile Version of Website